Anticipation for Military 2 poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your MOST ANTICIPATED feature on the proposed Military 2 Model?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am

Lock
54%
Blade dimensions
2%
Blade shape / grind
2%
Exclusive Super Steel
14%
Scale dimensions / ergonomics
11%
Pocket Clip
7%
Other Hardware ( liners, standoffs, pivots, fasteners, etc.)
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 56

All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

I just googled the patent for the stop lock and it seems to work like the power lock but backwards, I know very simple way of stating this but if u take a look u might agree with me
http://www.google.com/patents/US6918184
edit: for pic from google patents
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

nccole wrote:D2 not being produced anymore? You know almost every foundry produces D2? I would guess that would be one the very last steels for knife making to ever cease to exist. There was only one sprint with D2 to my knowledge, so that wouldn't affect the Mili really anyway.

After some more thought, I wouldn't mind if the handle was shortened a bit. I don't mind how long it is, but find it simply unnecessarily long for my uses and the blade length. I would not change the blade length or shape though. I would welcome Spyderco dropping S30V altogether personally. Not a big deal if it stayed exactly the same though.
I must have misinterpreted something I read about D2. I'm a steel newb, so I didn't know everybody was producing it :o I was just wanted to include it in my list to be considered for an alternate normal production choice for the millie, along with K390, 4V, etc.

I do like to have one knife with a long handle like the millie. It doesn't seem too long to me, and once when I was doing some hard cutting I was surprised to see that I was able to use both hands on the handle, which made it much easier. It's really not too big if you're sort of ham fisted.

On the other hand, Sal did say the millie1 would be produced concurrently with the millie 2 (I remember a more recent source than the one cited above and will dig it up if anybody insists). If we have both, maybe we don't have to worry about losing the m1's characteristics, like handle length, etc. We could just stick with the old one. But then we'd be missing out on the new features like the stop lock... so we could get it too :) But since both are, from what we've heard so far at least, going to be called "military," it sound like they're going to occupy the same niche... and he definitely didn't use the word "forever" when he spoke of concurrent production :rolleyes: ... wait a minute... I'm over analyzing this (I never noticed that "analyze" had the word "anal" in it before, lol).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
paladin

Post by paladin »

yablanowitz wrote: I'm afraid that last is in the eye of the beholder [...] but I don't consider it an improvement.
Agreed, "better" is highly subjective...one that comes to mind is the original Chinook, I think a lot of ELU's preferred the original of that model line. There are also several here who prefer the original Manix, IIRC.

I know the saying about *** U M(E) ING things-- but I assume :rolleyes: most ELU's see evolution as a MOSTLY good thing.

Especially when it's likely the orig. Mil.1 is not going extinct...and what if it did?...I have more Millies than I could wear out in 7 lifetimes. Heck, just the fine folks here on the forum could gift/sell enough of their stash to keep the gospel going for a few generations if not one more Military was ever produced!!! :p
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
paladin

Post by paladin »

[quote="DougC-3"]

Yup, my sentiments exactly Doug...I was typing when you posted this...we even use some similar puns!! :p
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Para 1 stayed in production for a while after the Para 2 came out (or perhaps that was just old inventory selling off?). You see how that went down.

The more I look at that Stop Lock draft, the more I kinda worry about it. I honestly would not want a lock on a Military that any way whatsoever resembled a back lock, not in operation or design. Not to mention, if it did away with the Military's pillar construction, that's sacrilege. I'm all for an ambidextrous lock, but I couldn't be more bored with back locks of any kind, Powerlock or not. The function just bores me to tears, despite how well they work. A big part of a folder for me is lock design, that's why I love my compression and CBBL knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

Evil D wrote:The Para 1 stayed in production for a while after the Para 2 came out (or perhaps that was just old inventory selling off?). You see how that went down.

The more I look at that Stop Lock draft, the more I kinda worry about it. I honestly would not want a lock on a Military that any way whatsoever resembled a back lock, not in operation or design. Not to mention, if it did away with the Military's pillar construction, that's sacrilege. I'm all for an ambidextrous lock, but I couldn't be more bored with back locks of any kind, Powerlock or not. The function just bores me to tears, despite how well they work. A big part of a folder for me is lock design, that's why I love my compression and CBBL knives.
It won't work like a back lock and here are the other design of stop lock found with patent
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

paladin wrote:Yup, my sentiments exactly Doug...I was typing when you posted this...we even use some similar puns!! :p
We must avoid paralysis by analysis :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Totally agree. Part of the magic about the Military is its ergonomics, and I don't think the stop lock is going to offer the same ergos. We'll see... :)
Evil D wrote:The Para 1 stayed in production for a while after the Para 2 came out (or perhaps that was just old inventory selling off?). You see how that went down.

All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

JNewell wrote:Totally agree. Part of the magic about the Military is its ergonomics, and I don't think the stop lock is going to offer the same ergos. We'll see... :)
Only if we could get a pic from sal or team to see more then patent figs. :rolleyes:
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

As long as the new lock is durable, strong, and efficient I don't mind if it's closer to a back lock, button type or any other for that matter.

I'm with the guys that think that the classic Military is "perfect". Even so we should all entertain the idea of a Military2 especially since we have been assured that the original isn't going anywhere. Two great knives are better than one. Different lock, updated clip system and so on.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
JBE

Post by JBE »

FCM415 wrote:Jason, I guess my original response came off as overly defensive, I apologize for that. In your first post, you were making declarations but seemed to have lacked the knowledge that both knives will continue to be available at the same time, and also Sal has already said that the Military 2 is already being prototyped. When someone responded to you, all you said was "sources?"...Just ticked me the wrong way at the time bud. Wasn't upset. No hard feelings.
No hard feelings here...I guess I could have worded my post better. I tend to be a bit blunt at times. :o

I've been gone from here for a while and still trying to get back "up to speed".

Anyways...moving on... :)
Jason
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

Now after owning the military I have to say that it's a great knife but I'd wish that it had a bigger lanyard hole and that the mil2 will come out so I can compare the two
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Am I alone in wanting full liners? I know it would add a little more weight, but I've had some blade centering issues with my Military because of how the handle flexes.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:Am I alone in wanting full liners? I know it would add a little more weight, but I've had some blade centering issues with my Military because of how the handle flexes.
For me, one of the good things about the current Military is that it is lighter than many smaller knives, so in my case, lightness would trump possible blade centering issues.
SpeedHoles

Re: Anticipation for Military 2 poll

Post by SpeedHoles »

Bump!

Another recent thread here lead me to dig back to this one to read up again...

:D
Going back to Caly.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Would it be reasonable to assume that the recent CQI changes we've seen means there is no sequel in the near future?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

abbazaba wrote:Would it be reasonable to assume that the recent CQI changes we've seen means there is no sequel in the near future?
That, plus the seemingly unanimous positive praise about those changes and the current state of the Military, seem to all point in that direction but I'm sure the Military 2 is something they probably work on as time allows. It's going to take more than a 4 way clip to persuade me to leave the current model.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn't be so sure. Sal has said that they plan to keep the Military in the lineup alongside the Military2. If that is the case then the CQI changes might not be a sign at all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bodog

Re:

Post by Bodog »

Laethageal wrote:I say K390 would be the highly wished for feature. Slight blade shape change could also do something, but overall it's a great design. Dunno how they could improve it more then by giving it the craziest steel out there!
If you like K390 you should try vanadis 10.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.