Anticipation for Military 2 poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your MOST ANTICIPATED feature on the proposed Military 2 Model?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am

Lock
54%
Blade dimensions
2%
Blade shape / grind
2%
Exclusive Super Steel
14%
Scale dimensions / ergonomics
11%
Pocket Clip
7%
Other Hardware ( liners, standoffs, pivots, fasteners, etc.)
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 56

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

yablanowitz wrote:I love the Military just the way it is. If I could visualize how the Stop Lock works from the drawings, I'd have no interest in the Military2 at all.
Perfect...totally agree. :spyder:
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

K390 would be the most desired change.
JBE

Post by JBE »

yablanowitz wrote:I love the Military just the way it is. If I could visualize how the Stop Lock works from the drawings, I'd have no interest in the Military2 at all.
This...If it's not broke, why fix it?
Jason
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

jbe wrote:this...if it's not broke, why fix it?
cqi.
Water babies singing in a lily-pool delight
Blue powder monkies praying in the dead of night
Here comes the black queen, poking in the pile
Fie-fo the black queen, marching single file
nccole

Post by nccole »

paladin wrote:are the 2 things you're referring to the lanyard tube & standoffs? Pics please!! :D
Clip and screws/standoffs. I didn't mess with the laynard tube. I don't have a spine shot with the standoffs, but the back-spacer is gone, with larger sized Torx screws in the new standoffs.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Janfrederik wrote:cqi.
Not much CQI needed for a design that has withstood the test of time with very little change.

And that's very likely why the new design still hasn't appeared and probably won't any time soon. It's a major financial risk changing a proven design that's been in the line-up for years just to satiate the wants of a few. The "Military 2" idea/concept has been kicked around here on the forums for as long as I can remember.
Jason
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Basically I'm pretty happy with Millie1. I'm beginning to believe that comfort in hand during use is the most important consideration, so you could say dimensions and ergonomics. A movable clip would allow it to be moved to the most comfortable place for actual use. The current lock is adequate for me. I would like for the weight and handle length to remain the same, and I'm OK with the current blade length. My main consideration about the new lock, assuming it functions well, would be that it should not interfere with hand comfort during knife use.

As for bells & whistles, I'd like for there to be an optional regular production steel such as 4V, K390, M4, etc. I think I read that D2 wasn't going to be produced anymore. I'd also like an optional production G-10 other than black or camo, and personally, I'd like for it to be foliage green. Maybe FG could be the default scale color for the optional super steel. I would certainly buy one of those.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
nccole

Post by nccole »

DougC-3 wrote:Basically I'm pretty happy with Millie1. I'm beginning to believe that comfort in hand during use is the most important consideration, so you could say dimensions and ergonomics. A movable clip would allow it to be moved to the most comfortable place for actual use. The current lock is adequate for me. I would like for the weight and handle length to remain the same, and I'm OK with the current blade length. My main consideration about the new lock, assuming it functions well, would be that it should not interfere with hand comfort during knife use.

As for bells & whistles, I'd like for there to be an optional regular production steel such as 4V, K390, M4, etc. I think I read that D2 wasn't going to be produced anymore. I'd also like an optional production G-10 other than black or camo, and personally, I'd like for it to be foliage green. Maybe FG could be the default scale color for the optional super steel. I would certainly buy one of those.
D2 not being produced anymore? You know almost every foundry produces D2? I would guess that would be one the very last steels for knife making to ever cease to exist. There was only one sprint with D2 to my knowledge, so that wouldn't affect the Mili really anyway.

After some more thought, I wouldn't mind if the handle was shortened a bit. I don't mind how long it is, but find it simply unnecessarily long for my uses and the blade length. I would not change the blade length or shape though. I would welcome Spyderco dropping S30V altogether personally. Not a big deal if it stayed exactly the same though.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

JBE wrote:This...If it's not broke, why fix it?
I am pretty sure they r planning to keep mil 1 in production with mil2 when it comes out so it is not replacing mil1 totally

Edit source http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... atest-news
Post #2 I believe
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
JBE

Post by JBE »

All-R-Crazy wrote:I am pretty sure they r planning to keep mil 1 in production with mil2 when it comes out so it is not replacing mil1 totally
Source?
Jason
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JBE wrote:Not much CQI needed for a design that has withstood the test of time with very little change.

And that's very likely why the new design still hasn't appeared and probably won't any time soon. It's a major financial risk changing a proven design that's been in the line-up for years just to satiate the wants of a few. The "Military 2" idea/concept has been kicked around here on the forums for as long as I can remember.
JBE wrote:Source?
I'm not about to dig through both BF and THIS forum but Sal has verified in both that the classic Military 1 will remain in the lineup even after the Military 2 comes out. The Military 2 is already in the works as discussed by Sal as recent as six months ago... So you can stop the thought that it is just to satiate the few. IT IS happening, and the original Military is NOT going anywhere unlike the original Paramilitary. You want to know about it? YOU dig it up, we don't have to prove it to you like we made it up do we? I love the Military 1 as is but no foul on wanting to see what SAL does on HIS design as an update. There's room for both.

Matter of fact, here's a clue... It was added in Sal's bombshell thread also on top of a thread on BF and several here.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
JBE

Post by JBE »

FCM415 wrote:I'm not about to dig through both BF and THIS forum but Sal has verified in both that the classic Military 1 will remain in the lineup even after the Military 2 comes out. The Military 2 is already in the works as discussed by Sal as recent as six months ago... So you can stop the thought that it is just to satiate the few. IT IS happening, and the original Military is NOT going anywhere unlike the original Paramilitary. You want to know about it? YOU dig it up, we don't have to prove it to you like we made it up do we? I love the Military 1 as is but no foul on wanting to see what SAL does on HIS design as an update. There's room for both.

Matter of fact, here's a clue... It was added in Sal's bombshell thread also on top of a thread on BF and several here.
Here's a clue for you...the Military 2 has been discussed on this very forum and has been "in the works" for a number of years. The "Casual Bombshell Thread" is littered with knives that never came into production or it was several years after they were mentioned before they were ever produced.

Here's another clue...I never said that it was "never going to happen." I only said that it was my opinion that it probably wasn't going to happen soon. Sal has even admitted himself that the factory in Golden is having a tough time keeping up with production of current models there (notice how many new models are being produced overseas now). And it is also my opinion that it doesn't need to be changed.

As for me asking for a "source"...If someone makes a statement of fact it is usually acceptable for someone to ask them to provide a source for their facts, not the other other way around.

Didn't realize my opinion was that upsetting to some.
Jason
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JBE wrote:Not much CQI needed for a design that has withstood the test of time with very little change.

I dunno man I love the Military too but standing the test of time is also a fancy way of saying it's on auto pilot. I can give you several examples of things that have gone decades without major change but were eventually replaced by far superior things...like 8 track players, then cassettes, then CDs, then digital, etc. Things need to keep flowing to keep from becoming stagnant.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JBE wrote:Here's a clue for you...the Military 2 has been discussed on this very forum and has been "in the works" for a number of years. The "Casual Bombshell Thread" is littered with knives that never came into production or it was several years after they were mentioned before they were ever produced.

Here's another clue...I never said that it was "never going to happen." I only said that it was my opinion that it probably wasn't going to happen soon. Sal has even admitted himself that the factory in Golden is having a tough time keeping up with production of current models there (notice how many new models are being produced overseas now). And it is also my opinion that it doesn't need to be changed.

As for me asking for a "source"...If someone makes a statement of fact it is usually acceptable for someone to ask them to provide a source for their facts, not the other other way around.

Didn't realize my opinion was that upsetting to some.
Here's another clue for you, read my post...It says SAL HIMSELF HAS SAID THAT THE MILITARY ONE WILL CONTINUE CONCURRENTLY WITH THE MILITARY TWO WHICH IS ALREADY IN THE WORKS. Not gonna cite sources, I know what the man said. Just intended to respond to your first two posts making your doubts on the point of a Military2 irrelevant... That's all, and you're telling me nothing new.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Jason, I guess my original response came off as overly defensive, I apologize for that. In your first post, you were making declarations but seemed to have lacked the knowledge that both knives will continue to be available at the same time, and also Sal has already said that the Military 2 is already being prototyped. When someone responded to you, all you said was "sources?"...Just ticked me the wrong way at the time bud. Wasn't upset. No hard feelings.
-Leonard Nimoy
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

All-R-Crazy wrote:I am pretty sure they r planning to keep mil 1 in production with mil2 when it comes out so it is not replacing mil1 totally

Edit source http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... atest-news
Post #2 I believe
JBE wrote:Source?
FCM415 wrote:I'm not about to dig through both BF and THIS forum but Sal has verified in both that the classic Military 1 will remain in the lineup even after the Military 2 comes out. The Military 2 is already in the works as discussed by Sal as recent as six months ago... So you can stop the thought that it is just to satiate the few. IT IS happening, and the original Military is NOT going anywhere unlike the original Paramilitary. You want to know about it? YOU dig it up, we don't have to prove it to you like we made it up do we? I love the Military 1 as is but no foul on wanting to see what SAL does on HIS design as an update. There's room for both.

Looks like it got sourced, but I've read several posts from Sal in which he says that the current Military will stay in the lineup after the Military 2 is introduced.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:I dunno man I love the Military too but standing the test of time is also a fancy way of saying it's on auto pilot. I can give you several examples of things that have gone decades without major change but were eventually replaced by far superior things...like 8 track players, then cassettes, then CDs, then digital, etc. Things need to keep flowing to keep from becoming stagnant.
I'm not sure knives are in the same category as audio-visual equipment. ;) There are quite a few knives that still sell extremely well in spite of the fact that they've been around for 15-20 years or more. The Military, the Benchmade 710 and the Sebenza are just a few that are essentially unchanged from their 1990s origins. I'm not saying that improvements and innovation aren't useful and appreciated, but it's different than electronics or motor vehicles or things like that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:I'm not sure knives are in the same category as audio-visual equipment. ;) There are quite a few knives that still sell extremely well in spite of the fact that they've been around for 15-20 years or more. The Military, the Benchmade 710 and the Sebenza are just a few that are essentially unchanged from their 1990s origins. I'm not saying that improvements and innovation aren't useful and appreciated, but it's different than electronics or motor vehicles or things like that.
I dunno, is it? There's still quite a following for vinyl, in fact you can buy almost any new music on vinyl and many will argue you to death that vinyl sounds better (depending on the genre I would be one of those people). I definitely agree that some things endure and are good enough in their original form that they can compete with their future replacements, but I also believe anything worth doing well is worth doing better and nothing is ever perfect. Hey, I'm a perfectionist ;)

There is also another aspect of this called "future proofing", which I would say the Sebenza definitely fits into. Once in a while something comes along that is so far ahead of it's time and is done so well the first time that it's future proof. It literally takes generations for the rest of the world to catch up and for that item to start showing its age. Some call this "timeless". There is also a lot to be said about nostalgia and "the good old days" helping to keep a lot of dated things in production. Some people are afraid of change too, and that's fine if the original works for you. All that doesn't necessarily mean that the original can't be improved upon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

Implied foundation of this thread is assumption Mil. 2 is going to happen...

Everything else ( aside from StopLock ) are just wishes or imagination on our behalf ...unless Sal is ready/willing to throw us another bone ;) ...

Having said that, let the record show I am a multi-Military user and do not want the current model to go away... although I sometimes would like a deeper choil or slightly longer kick on it :rolleyes: ...

HOWEVER, I am perennially excited to see more details about the Mil. 2 project...hence the "anticipation," wishes, and even wild guesses which was the impetus of the thread...

I feel safe in saying all of us here on the boards love the patriarchs of the various model lines in the lineup---
BUT hasn't MOST evolution of various :spyder: models resulted in a considerable, and sometimes quantum step forward in utility, ergos, materials, etc.?
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

paladin wrote:Implied foundation of this thread is assumption Mil. 2 is going to happen...
It's going to happen. The only question is when. It doesn't seem to be a high priority model.

Everything else ( aside from StopLock ) are just wishes or imagination on our behalf ...unless Sal is ready/willing to throw us another bone ;) ...

Having said that, let the record show I am a multi-Military user and do not want the current model to go away... although I sometimes would like a deeper choil or slightly longer kick on it :rolleyes: ...

HOWEVER, I am perennially excited to see more details about the Mil. 2 project...hence the "anticipation," wishes, and even wild guesses which was the impetus of the thread...

I feel safe in saying all of us here on the boards love the patriarchs of the various model lines in the lineup---
BUT hasn't MOST evolution of various :spyder: models resulted in a considerable, and sometimes quantum step forward in utility, ergos, materials, etc.?
I'm afraid that last is in the eye of the beholder. Like the TiRIL version of the Military, some folks call that an improvement while I call it a giant step in the wrong direction. Given a choice between a barrel bolt Endura, or a saber grind Gen4 Endura, I'll go with the earlier model every time. I know most folks think those steel liners in everything are great, but my name for them is "ballast", as in "extra dead weight". The "improved/reinforced point" of the D4 and E4 (and the Police3, Bug, Honeybee and probably others as well) has always reminded me of a broken tip reground by a do-it-yourselfer. I know why it's there, but I don't consider it an improvement.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.