Can a strop replace using a Sharpmaker or another sharpener?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mcb

Can a strop replace using a Sharpmaker or another sharpener?

Post by mcb »

Hi guys,

I've sharpened blades in the past to some pretty decent results. Usually I sharpen when I'm bored or I feel the blade needs it. I've thought about getting a strop, but was wondering if I could replace a sharpener with it for everyday touchups.

For example, when I get a new knife, for instance in Super Blue and I like the factory edge, can I strop after every couple days of usage instead of using a Sharpmaker or another sharpener? Basically, if I don't need to sharpen a dull edge, will the strop do just fine in "touching it up" or bringing back that factory edge?

Also, while we're on the subject, is another stone needed besides the ones the Sharpmaker comes with for VG-10, SB and N690co or will they suffice?

Thank you very much!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Hello,
Basically, as long as the edge doesn't have massive deformation or isn't too dull, than not only will a strop bring back the factory edge, but perhaps even surpass it if you're good. Certain compounds used on strops (black compound for example) can actually sharpen the edge in the first place. Normally stropping is done after sharpening for the best edge, but like I said, as long as the edge isn't too bad than it will bring back that extra level of sharpness.

The stones the sharpmaker comes with will produce great edges. However, there is one instance in which you would want the extra fines, and one in where you would want the diamonds. If you want a very polished, mirror edge and be able to whittle a piece of hair, get the ultra fines. I personally think that that isn't worth it, but I do in fact own them. If you want to reprofile or sharpen extremely dull knives, then get the diamonds. These are probably the more useful of the two. hope this helps!
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

A strop only straightens a bent or burred edge. That's great for razors, but not so great for other uses. Stones > strops when used correctly every time.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

No, unless you wanna strop forever ;)
Tom
araneae

Post by araneae »

Perhaps if you are only opening mail with your knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Eventually you will have to re-sharpen. The steel wears away and thickens up at the edge.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:No.
Evil, you talk too much. :)

Evil is right. IMO a strop will refine an already sharp edge noticably but won't "sharpen" the edge. If the edge is dull enough to impare erformance a strop will be too fine of a grit to be effective. It would be like going from a very coarse stone directly to a very fine stone. Also, as the skill using stones (sharpmaker or free hand) you will find a strop is needed less and less to obtain a VERY sharp edge.

The Spyderco stones are a great set of outstanding sharpeners. The sharpmaker rods or the bench stones. They are the same material. I believe a set of Spyderco stones are as good as you can get for a quality stone set. As someone else said you need sometying coarser if you are sharpening very dull or damaged edges. IMO a coarser grit than the Spyderco med. stone is more essential to have in a set than the UF stone. The fine grit does a GREAT job and the UF stone is good to further refine or smooth the edge. Similar to a strop in this area. The edge already needs to be nice and sharp before using the UF stone or a strop. Strops are more forgiving than stones when it comes to maintaining a consistent edge angle because being made of leather (usually) they are softer. Keep in mind that a strop can dull a sharp edge if used improperly. With a strop just use light pressure and not too high of an angle. A little practice is all that is needed.

So, a strop is not a tool to sharpen. You need stones to get a somewhat dull edge sharp again. Once the edge is sharp enough to be a very usable knife you can refine the edge notably with a strop. The difference will be similar to an edge that will shave your arm in two or three passes and an edge that will pop the hairs off in one pass.

This is the way I see it and others may feel differently.

Jack
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Since learning how to use a strop properly, and trying different compounds, I now only need to use my Sharpmaker once every 10 times or so.

I use black and green compound on the strop, but like others said eventually the edge thickens and it needs a go with the SHarpmaker.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Just to clarify a few things :

a) stropping is a pretty vague term which describes a very wide group of activities, it might be useful to know exactly what you mean

b) what are your goals, what are you trying to achieve
shu

Post by shu »

Depends on what you call a 'strop'. an unsupported leather strap is best for touching up an already sharp edge.

But something like this strop CAN be (and is) used as a stand-alone sharpening system. Even a really dull edge can be sharpened on a strop like this using sandpaper as the abrasive.

Only caveat being you will end up with a convex edge, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
paladin

Post by paladin »

shu wrote:Depends on what you call a 'strop'. an unsupported leather strap is best for touching up an already sharp edge.

But something like this strop CAN be (and is) used as a stand-alone sharpening system. Even a really dull edge can be sharpened on a strop like this using sandpaper as the abrasive.

Only caveat being you will end up with a convex edge, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Yup, a guy took a leather strop and various grades of sandpaper and took a BK 1 and transformed it from a splitting maul to a respectable & serviceable woodcraft blade...after about 8 hours of almost continuous labor. Of course the strop was serving as just the semi-rigid foundation for the true abrasive--the sandpaper. I done the same thing on a much smaller scale with a mouse pad-- the DIY's are all over YouTube...some are quite informative.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
paladin

Post by paladin »

Evil D wrote:No.
Correct, but it is a great tool to have in your sharpening kit.
shu

Post by shu »

paladin wrote:...after about 8 hours of almost continuous labor.
Imagine how long it would have taken on a Sharpmaker!
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I think what the OP is asking is would a strop suffice if he never let the edge get even remotely dull. I mean....I can go a long time without sharpening just by running a knife over the strop for a few passes each day. Eventually though, you would develop a certain thickness behind the edge though and would need to cut down the shoulders with a ..........sharpmaker, ect.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

`For the OP I think the best thing to do is get an inexpensive, well performing strop. THere is a very good one on Knivesplus.com for about $20. I bought and used it and it works great. My son has it now. You don't need to add abrasive over time. You "charge" it with a few drops of olive oil. Read about it on knivesplus. They you (OP) can determine for yourself what your needs are right now. Over time with quite a bit of practice you can get an edge so sharp just using stones that you won't need a strop at all. Unless that is if you want to take a hair whittling edge (which is sharper than 85% or more of the pocket knives in the world) and get it to that stupid, laser edge that some strive for. But, that level of skill (in my experience) takes a lot of practice. So, until you can do it a strop will get you to that point faster. Probably within a week or less with proper use. Lots of guys here to give advice on stropping. But as you can see by asking questions you get lots of answeres and you won't really know what would be your best thing to do.

I suggest the knives plus strop block. When you get it try it and then ask questions. You will know what to ask and then be able to try the advice right away. Good luck.

Take care though. Pocket knives as a hobby can get expensive. Sharpening can also get expensive when searching for the ultimate edge. But for a VERYsharp edge that will be sharper than your friend's knives you don't really have to spend a whole lot or buy a bunch of stuff. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Jack

Edit. Strops/stropping like most thins have good points and bad points. But overall I like them. When used properly they can do a wonderful job. But that is to be determined by each individual based on what they want. I think you should try on but you don't need the stropping kit for $95. :)
paladin

Post by paladin »

a BIG +1 on the Knivesplus strop block...the best, easiest way to get in the stropping cult if you're not already in
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Well the sharpmaker will do with the inclusive stones but the diamond and the ultra fine are a good addition, I got all stones and work fairly well. I also have an inexpensive strop called rite edge and some compound, I use it to finish of an edge or just for touch ups. If it is just a quick touch up I hang the leather strap unsupported like barbers use it. But if I want to do a little extra, I place the leather strap on a hard flat surface and that will give you a more solid edge revival. Not to much pressure and practice your angles. Oh forgot to mention I paid $12 for strop and $5 for the compounds at blade hq and I was surprised how well they worked for me.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A Sharpmaker can slowly sharpen or quickly touch-up any blade or cutting tool. With diamond rods you can even do some decent reprofiling.

Can't really say that about a strop or even a quality benchstone.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been under the impression that if there is compound on your strop that you are not actually stropping but rather sharpening. If there is an abrasive of any kind on there you are still removing metal which is sharpening. A bare piece of leather is stropping and that is just realigning the edge. There is a lot of grey area in this topic and it produces a lot of confusion. I am no expert. :-)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?