Next super steel purchase. Tempted by a benchmade, are there comparable spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bakergh

Next super steel purchase. Tempted by a benchmade, are there comparable spydercos?

Post by bakergh »

So I've got zdp, s90v and most of the non "super" steels represented in my collection. I don't know why I've been drawn to collecting different steels but that seems to drive my knife lust at the moment.

I'm tempted by the M390 Contego run at knifeworks, but I would be down for anything in s110v, super blue, elmax etc, though m390 is particularly interesting. Even though my first couple "good" knives were benchmades I prefer spyderco and I'd like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction to acquire something interesting for under $200. A super blue endura would be awesome but looks like they are all gone. Anyhow what should I look for so I can add to my Spyderco collection?
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

There will be Carbon Fiber s110v Native 5's in the future around $200 I believe.
That m390 Contego looks real nice though.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If you are looking to try Superblue, the Stretch is out as well as the Ladybug. You could actually pickup both and a pocketstone for under $200.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

xceptnl wrote:If you are looking to try Superblue, the Stretch is out as well as the Ladybug. You could actually pickup both and a pocketstone for under $200.
Good advice here. The super blue stretch would be a good pick up. You should also be able to get a Gayle Bradley with CPM-M4 any time you like.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Maybe you could find a blue M390 Para 2 for sale somewhere. Maybe not for $200 though.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Besides minute generational changes to the formula...

Bohler M390 = Latrobe Duratech 20v = Carpenter CTS-204p

You can still buy a Delica SB and soon a Stretch for far under $200. If you want the best apples-to-apples comparison though (ultra high carbide isn't the same as low carbide non-stainless), the Southard comes in 204p.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

bakergh wrote:So I've got zdp, s90v and most of the non "super" steels represented in my collection. I don't know why I've been drawn to collecting different steels but that seems to drive my knife lust at the moment.

I'm tempted by the M390 Contego run at knifeworks, but I would be down for anything in s110v, super blue, elmax etc, though m390 is particularly interesting. Even though my first couple "good" knives were benchmades I prefer spyderco and I'd like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction to acquire something interesting for under $200. A super blue endura would be awesome but looks like they are all gone. Anyhow what should I look for so I can add to my Spyderco collection?
I got my Endura and Delica super blue from National Knives I think you might find at least one of them available, they have a 1 per person limit; act fast you might still score one or both
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

To rival the Contego I was going to suggest the Manix 2 XL, particularly the recent run with S90V steel, but those will cost a little more now.
bakergh

Post by bakergh »

bdblue wrote:To rival the Contego I was going to suggest the Manix 2 XL, particularly the recent run with S90V steel, but those will cost a little more now.
I've got the Manix XL S90V, I snagged one of the last ten, it is awesome and is mostly responsible for my increase in knifelust for more super steel spydercos.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Gayle Bradley in m4 is an extremely impressive knife in an amazing steel. And built well above its price point IMO.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

senorsquare wrote:...You should also be able to get a Gayle Bradley with CPM-M4 any time you like.
Better advise here. Superblue is awesome, but M4 is better and you can still afford the Ladybug SB ;)
Blerv wrote:... If you want the best apples-to-apples comparison though (ultra high carbide isn't the same as low carbide non-stainless), the Southard comes in 204p.
This advise is the best of all. The Southard is awesome and so is 204P.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
nccole

Post by nccole »

Southard, Gayle Bradley, and Para 2's in m390 and also 204P. I saw a user 204P Para 2 for $200 on BF, and in general go for cheaper than the blue M390.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'm also curious about different steels and Spyderco keeps me coming back for more.

However, among the tool steels, the discontinued D2 Para Military doesn't interest me now that the PM2 is here; and the O1 Bushcraft doesn't interest me because, while I love the thumbhole on a folder, I want no hole on a fixed blade.

While I'm glad to have several M4 Spyderco models, I am looking at Blind Horse Knives (now LT Wright Handcrafted Knives and Battle Horse Knives) for A2, D2 and O1 steels.

I have a Blind Horse Knives micarta-scaled scandi-grind Bushcrafter and Bush Baby in O1 and they are superb.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

wrdwrght wrote:the O1 Bushcraft doesn't interest me because, while I love the thumbhole on a folder, I want no hole on a fixed blade.
Is that the only reason? :confused:
Water babies singing in a lily-pool delight
Blue powder monkies praying in the dead of night
Here comes the black queen, poking in the pile
Fie-fo the black queen, marching single file
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Janfrederik wrote:Is that the only reason? :confused:
It was enough to get me to look elsewhere, and, what do you know, I found what I think is a better design.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:Besides minute generational changes to the formula...

Bohler M390 = Latrobe Duratech 20v = Carpenter CTS-204p
Missing one. :)

CPM 20CV, Crucible is making it now too.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

The Southard is one of my favorite Spydercos, I also really like the Contego (already have the regular M4 version) and plan on getting the M390 version soon, I'd say go for the M390 Contego now (unless you get the chance at a limited edition Spyderco) and you can always get a regular production Southard or GB later (which I would highly recommend). There is also the M390 BM 581 which is quite nice.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

You could try the upcoming BM 940-1..it will be a CF/S90V combo..the 940 is one of BM's best IMO.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

"However, among the tool steels, the discontinued D2 Para Military doesn't interest me now that the PM2 is here; and the O1 Bushcraft doesn't interest me because, while I love the thumbhole on a folder, I want no hole on a fixed blade."

How about a Cru-Wear Military?
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

*double post*