Which spyderco is in the mail?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Explorador

Re: Which spyderco is in the mail?

Post by Explorador »

Hello Jacques and welcome to the forum!!

After 15 years you sound like an experienced spyderco veteran (compared to me at least).

I guess, we all know too well how exciting a new spydie can be.

Hope to hear/read from you again.

Marcelo.
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

So, I am so excited, my hands are alomst shaking. Less than 2 hours ago, the postman only rang once...

Less words, the pics will explain.

vivi

Post by vivi »

absolutely gorgeous!
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree! The grain work looks great on that one!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

Thanks.

The first impression is: "this is such an elegant knife, it is almost too precious to use it, I would rather put it under glass and observe it all day".
But of course I am going to use the **** out of it. In this pics, the blade is still virgin, no cuts yet. It is only a tad bigger then the chief, but the ergo is fantastic!!! It lies perfect in the hand.

If anybody wishes a particular comparison pic with the chief, please let me know.

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I see this thread pop up every other day and I have had nothing to add. :(

I finally can report that I have my first Spyderco of the year paid for and on it's way, a Spyderco Native Chief in S90V from Blade Ops.

Not sure when this knife was announced, but I feel like I've been waiting for this knife for a year!

This knife should win design awards as it is beautiful. A 4 inch long S90V is icing on the cake.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

Explorador wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:38 am
Hello Jacques and welcome to the forum!!

After 15 years you sound like an experienced spyderco veteran (compared to me at least).

I guess, we all know too well how exciting a new spydie can be.

Hope to hear/read from you again.

Marcelo.
Hi Marcelo, thank you kindly for the warm welcome. Haha I am still an amateur when it comes to Spydies, there are people who are goldmines of knowledge.

I will definitely try my best to keep posting and also share pictures of the new SpydieChef!

Keep safe.
J.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

I have a Shaman in Z-wear incoming. This will be my first Shaman.
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

spydie-fan wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:58 am
I have a Shaman in Z-wear incoming. This will be my first Shaman.
You're going to enjoy the Shaman! I have the S30V one and it is simply a home run.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TKCSA wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:54 am
Hi everyone,

My name is Jacques and I am a new member checking in from Kwa-Zulu Natal in South Africa.
I have been a user and lover of Spyderco knives for over 15 years.

That being said, I am still as excited as a schoolboy for the arrival of my SpydieChef next week!
Hi Jaques,

welcome! :)
Cool to have a member from South Africa, and the province (?) where you live must be an amazing place! Aren´t there pretty high mountains (Drakens mountains)? But also beaches and wildland with big game? (Just what I recall reading somewhen)

/ Saw your Shaman in another thread, great choice!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:35 am

I finally can report that I have my first Spyderco of the year paid for and on it's way, a Spyderco Native Chief in S90V from Blade Ops.

Not sure when this knife was announced, but I feel like I've been waiting for this knife for a year!

This knife should win design awards as it is beautiful. A 4 inch long S90V is icing on the cake.
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the design. I just about pulled the trigger on one but I'm going to hold out for a different steel.

I've handled the base model before and I can tell you it feels wonderful in the hand. Light and agile for the size.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:16 pm
Naperville wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:35 am

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the design. I just about pulled the trigger on one but I'm going to hold out for a different steel.

I've handled the base model before and I can tell you it feels wonderful in the hand. Light and agile for the size.
:D I really appreciate your trust! Unfortunately, whatever you hear from me, I promise not to be unbiased. I have wanted this knife for a very long time. The top arc of the knife, sweeping from the tip to the tail with a 4 inch blade made of S90V is just remarkable. I am sure that I will not grow tired of it.

Blade Ops emailed me that it is in the mail system already! I'll let you know if I am as smitten with it as I think that I will be once I'm holding it in hand.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I, too, have an S90V Native Chief sprint on the way from St. Nick’s (thanks, Darby, for the heads-up).

I’ve long been part of the crowd wanting this fabled model to materialize. I do have the S30V version but am looking forward to the model’s inherent elegance taking on the even greater elegance of materials that Sal has said he particularly likes.

Even more exciting to me is the unused C34P Jess Horn heading my way. Older models, collaborations among them, have been turning my head lately (viewtopic.php?p=1493395#p1493395). Apart from loving the lines of this model, I’m thrilled to see what Sal has said about Jess Horn (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77487&p=1362865&hil ... n#p1362865).
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PStone

Post by PStone »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:35 pm

[snip]...Even more exciting to me is the unused C34P Jess Horn heading my way. Older model, collaborations among them, have been turning my head lately (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88840). Apart from loving the lines of this model, I’m thrilled to see what Sal has said about Jess Horn (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77487&p=1362865&hil ... n#p1362865).
Nice score! Hope you can share some pics. I too have been looking at older models lately vs whatever the new hotness is. Just read through a bit of that thread. And then Spydiewiki. Was what you linked ever in the bombshell thread I wonder? Either way, sure hope that it’s still on the table. Would love for AG Russell to rerun their C34.

...I so wish I would’ve discovered Spyderco earlier in my life. :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

PStone wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:26 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:35 pm

[snip]...Even more exciting to me is the unused C34P Jess Horn heading my way. Older model, collaborations among them, have been turning my head lately (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88840). Apart from loving the lines of this model, I’m thrilled to see what Sal has said about Jess Horn (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77487&p=1362865&hil ... n#p1362865).
Nice score! Hope you can share some pics. I too have been looking at older models lately vs whatever the new hotness is. Just read through a bit of that thread. And then Spydiewiki. Was what you linked ever in the bombshell thread I wonder? Either way, sure hope that it’s still on the table. Would love for AG Russell to rerun their C34.

...I so wish I would’ve discovered Spyderco earlier in my life. :spyder:
Thanks. Pics will follow.

It sure would have been satisfying to me to have watched Spyderco from the beginning, what with all the changes in its course that would prove correct. I must say, however, that all those slick steel handles would have been a challenge to my oily grip.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 pm
TKCSA wrote:
Hi everyone,

My name is Jacques and I am a new member checking in from Kwa-Zulu Natal in South Africa.
I have been a user and lover of Spyderco knives for over 15 years.

That being said, I am still as excited as a schoolboy for the arrival of my SpydieChef next week!
Hi Jaques,

welcome! :)
Cool to have a member from South Africa, and the province (?) where you live must be an amazing place! Aren´t there pretty high mountains (Drakens mountains)? But also beaches and wildland with big game? (Just what I recall reading somewhen)

/ Saw your Shaman in another thread, great choice!
Thank you for the welcome, and I do agree on the Shaman - it's a perfect design to my hands.

You are definitely on the right track, the Natal province is quite large and I live closer to the coast. It's an amazing landscape with a large variety - the mountains and hills are a bit further away from my location.

We sure have our challenges, but the landscapes and wildlife easily make up for that. I wish I had more time to just explore the country - will do it someday!

Thank you again for the kind words and welcome!

Take care,
J
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's been a looooooong time that I had two Spydies incoming at the same time.

Shaman Z-Wear on its way, Mule Team 28 CPM SPY27 ordered.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
jc280z

Post by jc280z »

Mule Team 28 CPM SPY27 ordered, G10 and sheath
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TKCSA wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:40 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TKCSA wrote:
Thank you for the welcome, and I do agree on the Shaman - it's a perfect design to my hands.

You are definitely on the right track, the Natal province is quite large and I live closer to the coast. It's an amazing landscape with a large variety - the mountains and hills are a bit further away from my location.

We sure have our challenges, but the landscapes and wildlife easily make up for that. I wish I had more time to just explore the country - will do it someday!

Take care,
J

Thanks for your reply!

I´d really like to visit your area one day - though especially the mountainous regions ("everything mountain" is my number 1 passion... and then probably Spyderco.. ;) )

Quite some of my "mountain"-buddies go to South Africa for bouldering in the Rocklands in our European winter - I never did so though, cause I like skitouring and powder skiing too much ;)
And the Rocklands are quite a bit more to the west than where you are, right?

/ Now: Your Spydie Chef is on its way yet? :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:20 am
TKCSA wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:40 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TKCSA wrote:

Take care,
J

Thanks for your reply!

I´d really like to visit your area one day - though especially the mountainous regions ("everything mountain" is my number 1 passion... and then probably Spyderco.. ;) )

Quite some of my "mountain"-buddies go to South Africa for bouldering in the Rocklands in our European winter - I never did so though, cause I like skitouring and powder skiing too much ;)
And the Rocklands are quite a bit more to the west than where you are, right?

/ Now: Your Spydie Chef is on its way yet? :)

You are most welcome! I am glad your friends are enjoying the mountains, and you should try your best to join them at least once - our country is truly unique and beautiful. If you are more certain of your plans to come in the future you are welcome to PM me for any advice regarding safety, currency, travelling and so forth. Although I am certain your experienced friends will also know the ropes for travelling here.

Yes, you are quite correct. My location is the port town of Richards Bay, which is closely located to Durban and also the Mozambique border. It is a tropical paradise with high temperatures year round and lots of rainfall. Interestingly Richards Bay has the deepest harbour in the Southern Hemisphere and exports vast quantities of coal from our fields further inland.

Indeed that means then that the Drakensberg range starts to the west of my location more towards the towns of Ladysmith and WInterton. This part of the country is particularly beautiful - as examples you can search for Champagne Castle and Cathedral Peak amongst many others.

//Sorry for the off-topic chat - my SpydieChef is indeed arriving in next week, and I am seriously excited! The pictures will follow :)