Which spyderco is in the mail?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: Which spyderco is in the mail?

Post by farnorthdan »

finally found someplace that has CF Balance is stock, got my order in, keeping my fingers crossed.

At a decent price too, not one of those crazy unobtainium prices.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Have a Spydie Serrata on the way, toothy edge....
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Pied wrote:
yowzer wrote:In a bit of a drunken shopping spree last night, I seem to have ordered a sprint PPT (To replace an original I lost a few years ago), and a Hungarian.
Haha, i ordered my PPT also under the influence of alcohol :D

btw. nice choice!
The Hungarian's the one I'm really looking forward to. I don't even remember really liking the PPT the first time around. :confused:
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Chinook3 wrote:Have a Spydie Serrata on the way, toothy edge....
Great knife.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I just pulled the trigger on a SB Stretch. I can't wait!
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
pdxgti8v

Post by pdxgti8v »

Just purchased my first Spyderco ever....nothing fancy, just a Digi camo PM2 on the way....lining up getting custom scales made for it though!
paladin

Post by paladin »

farnorthdan wrote:finally found someplace that has CF Balance is stock, got my order in, keeping my fingers crossed.
I predict you'll love it unless you have large hands...

Cutting with a Balance in a draw cut is a neat experience-- it's one of those "little simple pleasures of life" :) :spyder: :)
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Manix 2 SE
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

pdxgti8v wrote:Just purchased my first Spyderco ever....nothing fancy, just a Digi camo PM2 on the way....lining up getting custom scales made for it though!
Congratz on your first of many ;)

Thats a fine choice.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Ruarch wrote:I just pulled the trigger on a SB Stretch. I can't wait!
Got mine last week, great knife with an awesome blade! Mine did require a bit of "tuning" however, as the tang rubbed on the inside of the FRN handle scales :P I ground the overlapping scale edges down to be flush with the liners in the area around the pivot and reassembled, that mostly fixed the problem, but it's still very tight, so I'm going to try putting 0.010" (roughly double thickness) washers in to give the blade a bit more breathing room. Interestingly, the liners showed evidence of being ground thinner at the blade end, so this tightness might be intentional? at any rate the spacing between blade and liner is much tighter than on my co-worker's Delica 4.

As far as in the mail goes, I have a Chaparral on the way, ought to be here by the end of the week.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Schempp Bowie. I was going to get two or three other less expensive knives, but then I realized that the money would buy the knife for which I truly lusted. I'm so weak.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Have a delica trainer on the way. It's destined for a bit of...modification.
NinjaRyder0920

Post by NinjaRyder0920 »

Took a break from Spyderco knives for a few months to explore other makers. Actually, I do not have any in my possession at the moment....but now I have a Southard and an Endura on the way and could not be happier :-D
dubya3

Post by dubya3 »

awa54 wrote:
Ruarch wrote:I just pulled the trigger on a SB Stretch. I can't wait!
Got mine last week, great knife with an awesome blade! Mine did require a bit of "tuning" however, as the tang rubbed on the inside of the FRN handle scales :P I ground the overlapping scale edges down to be flush with the liners in the area around the pivot and reassembled, that mostly fixed the problem, but it's still very tight, so I'm going to try putting 0.010" (roughly double thickness) washers in to give the blade a bit more breathing room. Interestingly, the liners showed evidence of being ground thinner at the blade end, so this tightness might be intentional? at any rate the spacing between blade and liner is much tighter than on my co-worker's Delica 4.

As far as in the mail goes, I have a Chaparral on the way, ought to be here by the end of the week.

Exact same thing with mine. I think thicker washers would help. I filed the liners where they rubbed but it didn't seem to help and I ruined the back spacer during reassembly so I'm left with a useless superblue stretch for now.
Cory

Upgrading to a Ti ATR once I sell my stainless ATR :)

awa54

Post by awa54 »

dubya3 wrote: Exact same thing with mine. I think thicker washers would help. I filed the liners where they rubbed but it didn't seem to help and I ruined the back spacer during reassembly so I'm left with a useless superblue stretch for now.
actually, your post about the back spacer was cautionary... I like to think I would have figured it out, but your experience prepared me to get it right the first time (sorry man, I wish it could have been the other way around for your sake).

Hopefully you can get a new part without much hassle and be back in business soon. When you do reassemble, I can say that I had great luck with these steps for reassembly:

lay out all the parts on one side of the knife with the scale facing down and the inside up (liner in spacer, with studs {except for blade pivot} up through their holes, then spacer, spring and lockbar in place) the lockbar will stick up out of the handle, that's OK.

line up the top liner and scale and settle them over the stud ends, insert and tighten all of the screw heads, but just finger tight.

find a non-metallic wedge to keep the liners apart just a bit more than the thickness of the blade plus its spacers. Here comes the balancing act... it helps to have three hands ;) put a bit of grease or oil on the blade spacers and stick them in place on the blade, now fully depress the lockbar with your extra hand so that the blade can be freely inserted into the knife, move the blade into place (hopefully not rubbing the spacers out of position), then use the tip of your torx tool or some other small round item to center the spacers and blade to the pivot hole, once everything is centered insert the pivot pin and withdraw the wedge that's keeping the liners apart, then thread the pivot screw in finger tight. At this point you should have a loosely assembled knife with the blade out and locked.

Finally, close the knife and make sure everything is lined up well (especially the plastic back spacer which has the loosest tolerances of all the parts) then snug up all of your screws until the small ones are firmly seated and the pivot has the tension you prefer. Mine opened and closed smoothly without tweaking, but you might have to loosen and re-settle everything to get that result, though I doubt it, the tolerances on my knife were excellent!

I tried using a heavy rubber band to keep the lock depressed while inserting the blade, but it was more trouble than help, just juggling the lock, knife and blade all at once was simpler for me.

I'm sure you figured it out after your first go-round, but though it couldn't hurt to lay out what worked for me step by step. If you figure out a better way please let me know, since the HAP40 Sprints ought to be out in the near future and if the Delica I pre-ordered needs the same adjustments I'll be doing this again soon.
-David

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Manix 2 pilot run FFG/154CM (20-25 made in this configuration)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Manix 2 pilot run FFG/154CM (20-25 made in this configuration)
Nice.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I hear those are the rarest of breeds ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
awa54

Post by awa54 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Manix 2 pilot run FFG/154CM (20-25 made in this configuration)
hmm... I think I was bidder on that as well. I thought 154CM and FFG was an oddball combo, but wasn't aware of it's rarity!
-David

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

awa54 wrote:
hmm... I think I was bidder on that as well. I thought 154CM and FFG was an oddball combo, but wasn't aware of it's rarity!
They also made 20 or 25 with hollow ground blades ;)

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.