Luckiest MBC Student today.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lunumbra

Luckiest MBC Student today.....

Post by lunumbra »

was me! On another day, it will be someone else, but today it was me!

Met Bram at NYC Custom show on Friday. I've been to one of his seminar's before so,of course, I was anxious to train with him again. I knew that he was going to train some ATF and SS agents the following day.

So how does a neophyte Guntaholic get himself invited to a closed training session?

VOLUNTEER TO BE THE VICTIM!

"Hey Bram, do you need someone to demonstrate the techniques on?" I was actually expecting him to say "No, sorry but I can't take you." Instead what I got was, "Yea sure, that might be helpful to have a second set of eyes, who is familiar with the technique." After I get over the shock, we organized, and I met Bram this morning and went with him to Fort Hamilton.

It was a couple of the CQC ATF instructors, a couple of SS guys, a couple of NYPD. No official departmental training, just a bunch of LEO's interested in learning more about the tool.

So, Bram would demonstrate on me (OUCH!) and while the seminar attendee's were practicing I would help correct the simple mistakes (Those of you who have attended Bram's seminars will know that the technique IS SO SIMPLE, that I could answer most questions) and those that I didn't know the answer to, would get "Hey Bram? How do you.......?"

We covered a LOT of ground today, the first three horizontal/ vertical techniques.

The arm and finger locking techniques, Kin-op, and we even got up through Flow drill.

At one point Bram had me stand in front of the whole class. While he instructed everyone on the Flow drill angles, he had everyone imagine they where slashing at me! Twenty blades glint and descend, simultaneously, in my direction (yikes)!

Fun was had by all, lessons were learned, and I think that most people went away excited by the possibilities of the Gunting system.

Guntaholics rejoice! A couple of years from now you might get a nod of recognition from a passing LEO when he sees a Gunting on your hip. Keep your fingers crossed!

Edited by - Lunumbra on 11/4/2002 2:54:09 PM
Steve Drayton

Post by Steve Drayton »

To quote a line from the Life of Brian "you lucky, lucky b*****d" Very cool! There is not to many that are willing to take on that role, well done you
Pachucko

Post by Pachucko »

You soooooooo suck!

I'm sooooooooooooooo jealous!

Pachucks
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Lunumbra:
You are a true gentleman..You volunteered and took a good dose of reality training..
Hmm sick puppy this Lunumbra..he volunteers to get beat up and says he's lucky..Ok.. I 'll let it go..I need guys like that..ROFL.
These were serious CQC Instructors as stated from ATF, Secret Service, Drug Undercover, USMPs from the base itself, NYPD..as well as a couple of martial arts guys related to the other participants...
Mike was a real trooper..and as any other good Guntaholic-MBCer actually did a very commendable job helping me teach by going around to help instruct those @ the seminar..
BRAVO!!!
He did great..
Ok except for running that Strider Karambit into his arm the Friday BEFORE we taught..
and bleeding all over at the start of the seminar....yeeeecccch!

Plus Mikes highlight was going to the ATF Bat cave later..
"hey is that really an explosives locker?"
"well this IS the ATF Mike"..
"Geeee Are those really arms lockers?"
" well Mike this IS the ATF.."
yes we saw the place but we can't give out its location..
It looks like very other plain jane location from the outside..

Thanks again Mike for the support, the cool books..
and for being there!!!

Bram

Plus the ride in the black ATF batmobile was pretty cool as well..
of course it was black....

a NYPD to us as we tried to go on a blocked off street...
Ahh Sir you can't turn here..
Yes I can I'm ATF..
Ahhh sir this is the NYC Marathon practice & publicity..
Ok sure..I'm ATF and I need to go down there..
and then we went blasting around NYC in the black ATFmobile..

Hey That"s not the proper use of a horn..
lunumbra

Post by lunumbra »

Bram, I was REALLY hoping you weren't going mention the Kermabit! LOL

You know a LOT more about Grandmaster Louie Ferama (I'm not even sure how to spell his name) you want to give the guys a sentence or two on him?

Edited by - Lunumbra on 11/4/2002 2:54:50 PM
Pachucko

Post by Pachucko »

Bram, Since you mentioned Striders...when is the Strider Gunting going to be available?

Pachucks
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Grandmaster Louis Ferrer is one of Lil' John Davis / Shihan Moses Powell and they all come from the Prof Vee lineage..
He does Vee Arnis Jitsu..
in your face take'm down selfdefense type of martial art..
He's the lead instructor CQC for most of NYC Precincts... he does DEA and FBI as well...
He thought the Gunting system especially the CRMIPT /Drone idea was the cooolest thing since sliced bread..I couldn't have asked for a better endorsement than that of GM Ferrer...
He demoed everything I did with Mike with a Gunting..he did the Vee Arnis Jitsu version empty handed..
He continually said that he's going to master the Gunting, that I was making him dangerous by inventing the Gunting and making sure he had one in his hands and that everyone should wake up and smell the coffee..the Gunting is here..
cool stuff..

He openly said all martial artists, security and Police should use the Gunting..
thank you GM Ferrer...

I hope it goes over as well withthe rest of the people who play with it..

Gads..if I knew how to spell the first time I wouldn't have to edit this over and over..
Edited by - BRAM on 11/4/2002 7:46:43 PM

Edited by - BRAM on 11/4/2002 7:48:31 PM
lunumbra

Post by lunumbra »

Grand Master Ferrer instantly "Got" the impact and locking ideas behind the Gunting. I'm pretty sure he was still at the seminar when Bram went over Kinetic Opening as well. When he intergrates this tool into his style, he is going to be SCARY!
davidar

Post by davidar »

I'm amazed people still need convincing!!! Having been on the end of a Bram seminar beating I know how you feel lunumbra. I have to admit though the statement pain promotes memory is soooooo true!!! best regards to all
http://www.cssdsc.co.uk