Endura 4 FFG VG-10 or ZDP-189?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bighaze51

Endura 4 FFG VG-10 or ZDP-189?

Post by Bighaze51 »

Okay, I know this has been discussed but I can't help myself. I just got a blue endura 4 in vg10 a couple weeks ago and I love it. I use it at work to open boxes and tear down cardboard at times. I just got some birthday money and and contemplating another spyderco. I've been looking at the manix 2 lightweight in cts-bd1 but I've heard remarks that vg10 has better edge retention. But I'm also intrigued by the zdp189 endura. Do y'all think I'll notice a considerable improvement in edge retention with the zdp? I feel like I'm fully confident in my sharpening abilities so I'm not really worried about ease of sharpening. I shaved with a buck vantage the other day. :) don't worry though, the endura finds it's way in my pocket 99% of the time. So what do y'all think?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bighaze51 wrote:Okay, I know this has been discussed but I can't help myself. I just got a blue endura 4 in vg10 a couple weeks ago and I love it. I use it at work to open boxes and tear down cardboard at times. I just got some birthday money and and contemplating another spyderco. I've been looking at the manix 2 lightweight in cts-bd1 but I've heard remarks that vg10 has better edge retention. But I'm also intrigued by the zdp189 endura. Do y'all think I'll notice a considerable improvement in edge retention with the zdp? I feel like I'm fully confident in my sharpening abilities so I'm not really worried about ease of sharpening. I shaved with a buck vantage the other day. :) don't worry though, the endura finds it's way in my pocket 99% of the time. So what do y'all think?
ZDP is head and shoulders above VG-10 with regards to edge retention. I would also add that (IMO) ZDP can be the equalizer when it comes to sharpening skills. It can bring the most confident to their knees if patience is not exercised. Is your cardboard cutting fairly clean stuff, or are staples, etc a part of the mix occasionally? I ask because a chip in the edge from hitting something hard and unforeseen can really create a lot of work for you in the future.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Definitely ZDP
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

There are staples in the lids sometimes but they are the big copper looking ones. Mostly I'm just cutting the lids off of the boxes so customers can get to the PVC fittings easier. I haven't hit a staple yet but I'm very careful

I have several S30V blades that I have now problems sharpening (custom buck 110 and frn native). I'm looking for a challenge anyways. :)
Dang, I think I really want that endura zdp now.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bighaze51 wrote:There are staples in the lids sometimes but they are the big copper looking ones. Mostly I'm just cutting the lids off of the boxes so customers can get to the PVC fittings easier. I haven't hit a staple yet but I'm very careful

I have several S30V blades that I have now problems sharpening (custom buck 110 and frn native). I'm looking for a challenge anyways. :)
Dang, I think I really want that endura zdp now.
What sharpening system do you use?
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ZDP. I own 4 endura's in VG-10 and one in ZDP. The two that get the most use are the ZDP and combo edge VG-10 (when I need serrations and don't want to carry 2 knives). The ZDP definitely gets more pocket time than all my other endura's combined.

The Endura is a great model at a great price (like the Delica) and is sadly often overlooked for flashier, higher end knives (and I'm guilty of this too), but when I carry it I'm reminded all over again why I love it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ZDP. I own 4 endura's in VG-10 and one in ZDP. The two that get the most use are the ZDP and combo edge VG-10 (when I need serrations and don't want to carry 2 knives). The ZDP definitely gets more pocket time than all my other endura's combined.

The Endura is a great model at a great price (like the Delica) and is sadly often overlooked for flashier, higher end knives (and I'm guilty of this too), but when I carry it I'm reminded all over again why I love it.
Clip

Post by Clip »

ZDP, I'm looking at a ZDP Stretch, you might like a change from the Endura every once in a while.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

I use a smiths diamond bench stone for heavy work and a king 1000 and king 6000 for finishing. Also have the sharp maker for quick touch ups. Couldn't stand it, just ordered the zdp endura. How am I supposed to go to sleep now? :)
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

I meant no problems with. Not now. Sorry.
I looked at the stretch as we'll but it didn't really speak to me. The endura is just perfect for me. Now I'll have the ultimate endura. I'm stoked about this one
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bighaze51 wrote:I use a smiths diamond bench stone for heavy work and a king 1000 and king 6000 for finishing. Also have the sharp maker for quick touch ups. Couldn't stand it, just ordered the zdp endura. How am I supposed to go to sleep now? :)
I wouldn't go to sleep until I got a second ZDP just for good measure. :D The Dragonfly is another terrific knife that is still available in ZDP
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

Bighaze51 wrote:I meant no problems with. Not now. Sorry.
I looked at the stretch as we'll but it didn't really speak to me. The endura is just perfect for me. Now I'll have the ultimate endura. I'm stoked about this one
Hasn't done much for me either, but everyone I've talked to claims its one of Spyderco's most comfortable folders. Figure I've got to see what all the hype is about.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Neither, get the Super Blue Endura..
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll take VG-10 over ZDP-189 any day. Yes, ZDP-189 holds an edge 2 to 3 time longer, but it then take 2 to 3 time longer for me to sharpen. To me at least, unless I was having to stop in the middle of the day most days to sharpen my VG-10 knife, that's not a gain, it's just postponing the work. OTOH, VG-10 is considerably more rust resistant and I've never found any quality of ZDP-189 that compensates for that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

I also understand everyone's concern about rust resistance but that's not really a problem for me either. I'm super anal about keeping my blades clean anyways. It is humid in SC but I've carried around carbon steel blades and had no problems
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Clip wrote:ZDP, I'm looking at a ZDP Stretch, you might like a change from the Endura every once in a while.
I too recommend a Stretch ZDP189 if you don't mind a shorter cutting edge length (than the endura) in exchange of a better hand grip due to its handle shape (+ finger choil).
If you don't mind to leave marks on the soft 420J2 steel that cover the ZDP189, the Caly 3.5 CarbonFiber ZDP189/420J2 is fantastic.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I second the super blue Endura if you can still find one, they are great and in my opinion better than ZDP. I got both and I like the super blu better.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Cajun93

Post by Cajun93 »

Thumbs up- super blue. Seems to be the perfect steel if willing to wipe down after use