Serrated models being discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lefty.Mike

Serrated models being discontinued?

Post by Lefty.Mike »

Is spyderco trying to move away from models offering serrated edges. The manix and military are both discontinued in serrated, and I wonder if this is a new trend.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It wouldnt be if people bought more of them. The amount of serrated fans is on an obvious decline.

I honestly still think Spyderco will have more serrated (especially full serrated) knives than any other maker. It's part of their history and there are enough fans to support a small niche. Their teeth perform well and aren't just a marketing ploy.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I hope so. If this is true, it will give them more production capabilities for other models.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

All these super steels are pushing the serrations out. The perception now is to get a knife that stays sharp instead of relying on serrations. Not saying this is correct percepetion but it may be part of the cause.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think also, the lack of people who are willing to learn to sharpen serrations, stops them from buying them.

Plain edge is like an easy button that people seem to like pressing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

That would be a shame I like my serrations on certain knives and spyderco makes them right. Good performers easy to sharpen.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:All these super steels are pushing the serrations out. The perception now is to get a knife that stays sharp instead of relying on serrations. Not saying this is correct percepetion but it may be part of the cause.
Plus, at least some of them do not "play well" with serrations. ZDP-189 being a prime example.

But, overall, as Blake noted, it's simple economics. If the serrated version of a knife sells well, it stays in the lineup, the Police, the various Rescue blades, the entire Salt series, and the various hawkbill and reverse S bladed models prove that. OTOH, if the serrated version of a given model doesn't sell, it gets the axe. Spyderco got stuck having to close out the serrated versions of custom collaborations at a loss so often that they stopped offering serrations on any of them about ten years back.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I think you have to account for combo edge vs full serrated edge as well. Combo edges have a noob/worst of both worlds stigma. I don't hate CE, but do prefer SE and PE working in a 2 knife combo and SE being the smaller blade.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I like to have at least one serrated knife in my collection. I think that they hold a really sharp cutting edge for a longer time than an equivalent straight edge, and for certain things (like cutting fibrous materials) I think they are more efficient.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I hope not.I love spyderedges and I continue to purchase them.Spyderco Police SS SE is my beloved model.And it seems H1 serrations are great performers
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Serrated knives will always have a place in my little collection. Also, if I was going to give someone a knife I knew they would be relying on but not necessarily sharpening it would be a serrated knife. Their simple ability to slice, saw, and hack one thing into two pieces is amazing. A dull PE, even crafted from unobtainium :p , is worthless except for spreading preserves. Anyone who thinks this wouldn't happen has not seen a n00b with a marble cutting board :) .
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

In regard to serrated models, I just hope that Sal re-issues the FRN Spyderhawk, and the Carbon Fibre Harpy.
Would Spyderco still have the already-paid-for-and-ready-to-go mould for the FRN Spyderhawk? Would it be expensive in such a case to run off a few, say, 600 hundred examples as a re-issue or sprint run?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Serrated knives have a place and spyderco does them the best. There has been a steady drop off in models offered with teeth, unfortunate but as mentioned above most likely the right business decision.

I know its not rfeasible but it would be fantastic to be able to buy a serrated spydie from the factory directly as an option.

SE and CE Para 2 would be in my checkout immediately.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Donut wrote:I think also, the lack of people who are willing to learn to sharpen serrations, stops them from buying them.

Plain edge is like an easy button that people seem to like pressing.
Im definitely guilty of this haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Holland wrote:Im definitely guilty of this haha
Me too. Though if I were really into SE I would overcome this.

I think I would buy more SE if I was willing to carry two knives. But I'm not.
All God's critters have knives.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I bet the CPM154/S90V sprint would have still sold like crazy if it were SE. I can be the first to admit a better late than never love affair with SE. Now it has become a game of locating the older great ones with teeth. Missed an opportunity on a black SE ATR today. I would like to see popular models have some edge diversity, but not many models have the longevity. Perhaps a 2015 revival of the Delica / Endura in SE especially combined with the FFG. We can hope right.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

zhyla wrote:Me too. Though if I were really into SE I would overcome this.

I think I would buy more SE if I was willing to carry two knives. But I'm not.
That's why there's the combo edged knives! Sorry to see them go, but less people seem to like them these days, for whatever reason! :(
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

eric m. wrote:That's why there's the combo edged knives! Sorry to see them go, but less people seem to like them these days, for whatever reason! :(
I have a combo manix2 and... I dunno, it just doesn't work out as well as I'd like. I'm tempted to get a SE FFG manix2 when they come out just to serif I can get back into SE.
All God's critters have knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have to believe that the models that sell best with serrations are the ones you still see with them, which are mainly the rescue type knives. If the demand was there the knives wouldn't be going disco.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I don't want them to go away. Just ordered a Pacific Salt spyderedge. I didn't have one, See I like serrated edge knives keep producing them.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE