OKO Grail

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hoimin

OKO Grail

Post by hoimin »

If you could only own and use one knife for EDC, what would be your One-Knife-Only Grail production knife from Spyderco?*/**

Mine doesn't exist (yet), but with the recent developments seen in Amsterdam, I can see all the pieces are in play. It just needs Spyderco's web of influence to connect the dots.

* sure, I could just commission a custom, but I would want others to enjoy this knife too.

** it's probably a terrible business strategy to create one knife to rule them all, but who are we kidding? we'll all end up with a downpayment's-plus worth of blades eventually.

My Spyderco OKO Grail: 3" Southard-Slysz Titanium RIL Flipper

Overall Length: 7" / 177.8 mm
Blade Length: 3" / 76.2 mm
Closed Length: 4" / 101.6 mm
Blade Thickness: 0.157" / 4 mm
Blade Steel: CTS-XHP (or whatever keeps this affordable)
Handle Material: Titanium (stonewashed)
Weight: 4 oz / 113.4 g
Lock: Reeve-Integral Lock
Opening method: Flipper / Spyderhole

I've seen that many people are looking for a 3" Southard Flipper with symmetrical scale thickness, and a larger Techno. This currently imaginary knife will be just that: a stonewashed 3" full flat ground drop point blade (with lots of belly), nestled between two ergonomically shaped slabs of stonewashed and beautifully chamfered titanium, riding on caged IKBS bearings.

I don't think I am dreaming too big. All the pieces are already available. Taichung is very capable. Brad Southard and Marcin Slysz have already worked with Spyderco to great effect. Let's put them together and see what magic they come up with.

What are your OKO Grails?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've pretty much had my grail since 2010, the Paramilitary 2. I'm sure it could be replaced someday by something, but I believe I could happily carry and use one forever.
:bug-red-white
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

C44 Dyad. No single blade can come close to fulfilling all my needs. The knife you describe would not tempt me in the slightest.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I really like the Schempp Khukuri.

As long as we are dreaming though, I would probably do a A.T.R. titanium but with more of an upswept FFG blade (like the Persion2). A bit mall ninja or 80's sci fi villain...but oh well. :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If we're talking about knives that have only existed in real life, and only talking about EDC use, then the Southard is probably the one. It isn't my favorite knife, but it is probably the most well rounded for my needs for everyday carry. I tend to pick knives for these questions based off of usefulness more so than what I like the most, but then what I like the most usually tends to be what is most useful so it works out well for me. The Southard has a great steel, tons of edge in a small package that carries better than knives with far less cutting edge, it's reasonably light and has good enough ergonomics to use hard and often without causing a lot of hot spots. My only real complaint about this knife is that it cost so much, but to make it cost less you would have to get rid of the Ti and probably use a lower end steel, which would sort of defeat the purpose for me. I wouldn't mind seeing a sprint run with another high end steel option though. I think M4 would be my top pic for a sprint run, the whole thing would look so beautiful with a nice patina.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

What I'm seeing is just how diverse everyone's tastes, needs, and preferences are. Having only held only maybe 4 different Spydercos ever, I'm learning of new models everytime I check in on the forums, and what different things people like about them.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Para 2... Was my first Spyderco, and is still the nr 1 all-rounder in my collection. Love the compression lock.

Tied for second is the Military and Sage 2. Military for outdoors/hard work edc, and Sage 2 for classy office edc.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

PM2 in S90V.
Spyderco makes other knives that would keep me from feeling knife-deficient, but The One is already in my pocket. After looking and wondering for many years it is kind of strange to feel that satisfied about a knife! But there it is.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

M4 or cruwear para2 with green g10 scales. Para 2 is my favorite model and I just need one in a steel that is more to my liking than s30v. My digi cam para2 in s30v is the best knife I have ever owned.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Caly 3.5 in 20CP. Never gonna happen.
Nate

Post by Nate »

My current grail EDC is my Caly 3.5 SB. At the moment, it would be my choice if there could be only one. I've only had it a couple of months though, so the "new" factor hasn't worn off yet.

I should also have the SB Stretch in hand tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it compares with my Para2 and Caly over time, and which of the three truly reigns supreme after more extensive use.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Not really. I guess I'd go with a Tenacious, as I have had it for so long and it has served me well.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Superblue Caly 3 or 3.5 pretty much tops every list I have.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Have to agree with others here, edc for work Caly 3.5. If not working and could only be one, Para 2 S90V....would also be nice to see a green cf Para 2 S110V finished in Taiwan. Keeping it to one is just no fun :o
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I would say a mix between the Para 2 Ergo with the Endura4 Saber grind blade. It would have to be a nice steel with a manix locking system. One can dream
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I'd honestly be fine with the Techno.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

For EDC? At this point it's hard to imagine anything supplanting my Cento Memory. It's really my perfect EDC.

Ken
玉鋼
Nick D.

Post by Nick D. »

I prefer smaller blades for EDC, so the Sage 2 would do it for me!
De Profundous Ad Lucem!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Spyderco Military in CPM S90V. Of all of my Spyderco options, this would be it.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

C44 Dyad hands down for the most complete Spyderco I own , but 3 others come to mind that I have: PM2 S90V , LH Mil. , and the Chinook 2 . Ask this same question 6 months from now and only the C44 would be the top contender . Regards MG2