Power Lock Demo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Thanks for posting......
Fish on!
mattman

Post by mattman »

gull wing wrote:Tatanka is that the Sioux word for Buffalo?
According to Kevin Costner, yes.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Is the Tatanka the new name for the Spyderco Bison? Or is the Bison a separate (different) knife altogether?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A hunk of Aogami Super Blue. Now there's a thought!

Right now, the size and THAT lock are what have me listening for a release date.

The cutaway sure saved Mr. Janich, an excellent presenter, several thousand words.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:Oh yeah, it's easy to see how crazy strong the mechanics of it is. I have no doubt that the lock mechanism itself will survive what the tang won't. You'll either round off that corner of the tang that's engaging the lock or break the tang itself, since there doesn't look to be much meat around the pivot either. I love the lock, but I hate when a great lock design sacrifices strength from somewhere else, then you're just borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
Every folding knife ever made has the same issue. Once you decide to sacrifice strength for convenience by making it fold, everything else is more compromise. Even drilling holes to pin scales to a full tang knife sacrifices strength.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I'm pretty big on lock backs so any improvement or change I pay attention to. Will This lock work (well) on a 3.5 to 4 inch knife? Only thing I've read is that it excels in larger knives which is part of the reason why it's in the Tatanka. I like the Demko lock and if it gives it a run for its money I'm all for it!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:Every folding knife ever made has the same issue. Once you decide to sacrifice strength for convenience by making it fold, everything else is more compromise. Even drilling holes to pin scales to a full tang knife sacrifices strength.
Yeah I completely agree, but you don't HAVE to sacrifice tang strength to beef up a lock. All I'm saying is, if you compare a standard back lock to this lock, and both knives have the same tang thickness, where you gain lock strength on this lock over a back lock it looks to me like you sacrifice tang strength due to removing so much metal around the tang to allow room for the moving parts. Once they get out in circulation and someone pushes one beyond it's limits, we'll see which fails first, but I would suspect that when pushed hard enough, either the corner of the tang that engages the lock will round off and fail, or the tang will break. The lock itself looks stout enough to survive, but back locks almost always fail where the tang hooks the lock bar because there isn't enough meat to meat contact and that corner of the tang rounds off. There definitely is a lot more pressure being applied to the tang with this lock, but without any increase in surface area, to me that just says that the tang is going to round off before the lock fails, instead of the other way around. I would also suspect that Spyderco is smart enough to intentionally engineer a safe failing point into all their locks, because a breaking tang is usually the most dangerous place for a knife to fail, so that small area of tang to lock engagement is probably on purpose. That, plus room for future wear of course.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

TomAiello wrote:Who designed the power lock? Or does Spyderco not tell us which designer did which lock? I thought Sal designed the compression lock and Eric designed the CBBL?
The power lock was invented by Kimi Sakai.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

FCM415 wrote:I'm pretty big on lock backs so any improvement or change I pay attention to. Will This lock work (well) on a 3.5 to 4 inch knife?
We do plan smaller knives with the lock. We've been getting requests for larger models so we responded with the Szabo, K2 and Tatanka.

sal
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

sal wrote:The power lock was invented by Kimi Sakai.

sal
Will Spyderco have exclusive rights to the lock?
sal wrote:We do plan smaller knives with the lock. We've been getting requests for larger models so we responded with the Szabo, K2 and Tatanka.

sal
Cool, thanks Sal!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

That thing is huge. Liking that black southward too.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:Very interesting lock design, but I still wish there was more meat to meat engagement at the tang, as I still feel that's the weakest point, but what do I know lol.

I was more interested in the blacked out Southard, but I'm really torn on the idea because I really like the gray colored Ti.
Love the Southard, personally kind of digging the all black looks a little more unique to me with the titanium blacked out. I am still not crazy about the G10 over travel stop, I wish they would have used another material for that particular piece of hardware.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

I want to see this lock on knives like the delica, caly size range.
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Great vid. Great knives. You can tell it's filmed in Europe because there's art on the walls, not assault rifles!
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:Love the Southard, personally kind of digging the all black looks a little more unique to me with the titanium blacked out. I am still not crazy about the G10 over travel stop, I wish they would have used another material for that particular piece of hardware.
Funny I wasn't completely sold on the Southard until I saw the leaked pic of the blacked out one and that one pushed me to handle one in the first place. For me though I think the color of the Ti is as much draw as anything else. Not sure how many times I've mentioned this here but I have a bit of Ti in my skull so it's a material that's close to my heart (well, brain actually lol).
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:Funny I wasn't completely sold on the Southard until I saw the leaked pic of the blacked out one and that one pushed me to handle one in the first place. For me though I think the color of the Ti is as much draw as anything else. Not sure how many times I've mentioned this here but I have a bit of Ti in my skull so it's a material that's close to my heart (well, brain actually lol).
Well that makes some sense I was unaware of your Titanium Cranium. I was not crazy about the brown either in fact I had no interest until I saw this video. I like it, even the little piece of G10 looks better in black but before I dive in I would like to see it in person just to see how the lock side looks. I seem to have hit that how many more knives do I really need point in my life.
mattman

Post by mattman »

mattman wrote:According to Kevin Costner, yes.
Found it!!

https://youtu.be/ow13ntxzBF8
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DRKBC wrote:Well that makes some sense I was unaware of your Titanium Cranium. I was not crazy about the brown either in fact I had no interest until I saw this video. I like it, even the little piece of G10 looks better in black but before I dive in I would like to see it in person just to see how the lock side looks. I seem to have hit that how many more knives do I really need point in my life.
The brown has grown on me a lot, but it's been hard to resist dying it. I think the brown they went with does look great with the color of the Ti. Really the only reason I haven't dyed it is because all my knives are black so a little variety is nice. I would much more prefer they used the tan color they used for the M4 Manix 2, then I'd dye it khaki color like I did my Manix. I'm still keeping an eye out for a factory scale for sale that I can dye black and then go back and forth as I feel like it. Also I gotta say I'm not happy about the switch to finer G10 on the black one...the course texture G10 is one of my favorite features on the Southard. It's rough at first but once it breaks in and loses the initial bite, it really settles into a longer lasting grip than the fine texture stuff does. Also since the clip only has one option, you don't get the pocket shredding issues with course G10 on this knife so to me it made sense to leave it course.
~David
sal

Post by sal »

FCM415 wrote:Will Spyderco have exclusive rights to the lock?
More than likely. G.Sakai may want to make something for their domestic market, but I doubt it.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Jay_Ev wrote:Is the Tatanka the new name for the Spyderco Bison? Or is the Bison a separate (different) knife altogether?
Hi Jay,

Actually the Bison was a different design, but if we move forward on the "old Bison" design, it will be renamed.

sal