NYC Custom Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lunumbra

NYC Custom Show

Post by lunumbra »

Where do I start......

I met both Bram Frank and Michael Janich at the show. Mr. Janich let me handle the Snody built Yojimbo prototype. Yea, the one in the pictures.....

Very Nice! The carbon fiber scales make it light. And that wicked blade profile looks just as good in person. There was also the Spyderco prototype, which was a ball lock. If you haven't seen a Spyderco ball lock yet, your lucky, you have a wonderful moment of discovery in front of you. Interesting to look at and they look like they will be strong as the proverbial ox. (I'm not an engineer though, only time will tell) Just one thing guys, thin it from spine to edge, the handle also, just a little, tiny smidgeon of a bit. It's just a little bit wide in my opinion, and I like larger knives.

The SPOT is interesting, not my style, but there where several prototypes, including one that folded , hmmmm how do I put this, like a door, with the blade pivoting sideways into a hollow handle.

The Tusk prototype is a stab at a Spyderco rigging knife, again with the ball lock on the marlin spike. A little big, but very functional.

Lot's of other REALLY cool stuff, but that was everything I liked at the Spyderco table.
mr. v

Post by mr. v »

Hi lunumbra--

Did you say you saw a Yojimbo with a ball-bearing lock? Wow, that'd be cool. I got to see the first Spyderco proto made in Golden before it left (it has a compression lock) and Mike Janich showed me Snody's first Yojimbo (it has a liner lock).

Exciting to see both knives finally beginning to be fleshed-out, so to speak.

Thanks for the feedback on the show,
Vince

Edited by - mr. V on 11/4/2002 3:01:58 PM
lunumbra

Post by lunumbra »

MMMMmmmmm pretty sure it was a ball lock yea.......(I'm visualizing......) the one I saw had bright blue handles. And I'm pretty sure that the fixed blade is called the Ronin and the Folder is called the Yojimbo....
M M

Post by M M »

(The Tusk prototype is a stab at a Spyderco rigging knife, again with the ball lock on the marlin spike. A little big, but very functional.)

Did you have
More details!!Or some pics!!

M M
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Lunumbra and Mr. V:

The prototype of the Yojimbo/Folding Ronin is actually an improved compression lock, not a ball lock. I believe the ball lock knife you saw was the Dodo, which may have also had blue G-10 handles.

I currently have the prototype in my hands and will be working with it for the next few days to sort out any problems or needed improvements. As soon as I get a digital shot of it, I'll post a picture. So far, I'm very pleased with the way it looks and works. More to follow...

Stay safe,

mike j