Spyderco/Farid K2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Spyderco/Farid K2

Post by Nate »

In the past I haven't been drawn to framelocks (I'm a lefty), I typically prefer non-metal handles, I'm trending toward blades with low alloy steels in my most frequent users, and even though I'm a fan of the Military, for most of my uses it is excessively large.

...but I can't get these K2 pics out of my head! :D

This thing looks absolutely magnificent, imo. I may have to start a "Farid Fund" right away, 'cause I doubt 10V and Ti are going to be priced in my $100-$150 comfort zone :eek:

Thank you Spyderco, for another incredible collaboration piece!!!
Mr Blonde wrote:Fans of big folders are in for a treat. After the Tatanka, Spyderco has another big folder in the works; the K2 folder by custom maker Farid Mehr. I’m afraid I didn’t pick up any details or background on this design, as I was working on photos of other prototypes at the time. I’m sure my fellow attendees of the meet can provide some background information.

The approximate specifications of the K2 prototype are:
Overall Length: 25,5 cm / 10.03 inches
Edge Length: 11,5 cm / 4.52 inches
Blade Length: 11,5 cm / 4.52 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,35 cm / 0.14 inches

WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Of the pics so far, can't stop staring at the same. Rabidly searching on the attributes of 10v as well.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Yeah its a looker. Will be very tough to resist.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

WorkingEdge wrote:Of the pics so far, can't stop staring at the same. Rabidly searching on the attributes of 10v as well.
Think K390, with a bit more edge holding
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

I am happy that the K2 have been well received, with the materials of choice it should be light weight and a very high performance tool. Like I say Sal has done a great job.
Farid
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Love to see the designers here. Spyderco works with some of the best. And the Farid-K2 was the one that got my attention too!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I am excited about this one as well. Any idea how long the wait normally is from this stage of prototype to availability?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

faridknives wrote:I am happy that the K2 have been well received, with the materials of choice it should be light weight and a very high performance tool. Like I say Sal has done a great job.
Farid
Always nice to hear from the designer. I have looked at your customs quite a few times on British Blades. Wonderful work.
faridknives

Post by faridknives »

NoFair wrote:Always nice to hear from the designer. I have looked at your customs quite a few times on British Blades. Wonderful work.
Hello, I see you are in Norway, a great country where you live, hope to visit at some stage to climb mountains.
Although I will no longer support that forum for personal reasons but I appreciate your support. I hope at some stage you will get the opportunity to handle or own one of these CPM-10v K2 folders, you will not be disappointed, when Spyderco makes a knife they manufacture it to high tolerances.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

That is a beautiful knife! Looks like a Stretch contoured handle-Pocket Bowie! What is the weight of this piece? :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

michaelm466 wrote:Think K390, with a bit more edge holding
Since I haven't had to sharpen my k390 yet, does that mean I'll never have to sharpen 10v at all?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I really like that knife just as is. Please resist any urges to fancy or mirror/color it up. It is function , performance and no fancy needless things. Just what I like as I need no pretty things with real high performance equipment. Right up my alley and the one that has grabbed my attention more than any other. 10V sounds great. Give it a heat treat that doesn't neuter all the potential HP trying to get better corrosion/toughness blends. It's a performance cutter and deserves a performance heat and hardness with a decently thin edge IMO.

Just what Spyderco does.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

michaelm466 wrote:Think K390, with a bit more edge holding
:eek:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

This is one that I am really looking forward to. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Ankerson, have you done any testing with 10v?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

TomAiello wrote:Ankerson, have you done any testing with 10v?
Yeah, both 10V and K294, both A11. :)

At 64.5 and 64 respectively, very nice steels, very good edge retention, that was in customs though.

From my testing they seem to have good edge stability even under harder use, they are pretty fine grained.

We will have to see what Spyderco can do with 10V. :)

A few others have found the same from their own testing also.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I will definitely pick this up. That is all.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

FCM415 wrote:I will definitely pick this up. That is all.
The blade length is a little on the long side, would prefer not longer than 4", but it's fine. :)

Also hope to one day see a Military in one or all of these, 10V(K294), S110V, K390. :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Wanted to post a couple of comparison pics from the Off-topic thread.

The Ti Military weighs in at 5.8 oz. (164 g), so I imagine this will be in that ballpark.

Looks pretty huge next to that UKPK!
xavierdoc wrote:I received this knife today, from Farid. It is one of his K2 folders in CPM Rex-121. I believe his use of the Spydie hole has Sal's blessing.

iPhone for scale:

Spyderco UKPK for scale:

Balance point:

It's beautifully put together and must have been job to grind.

Mule team project in this steel...?
Thanks for all the replies :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have a link to Farid's website? Is he taking orders for customs?