Any Caly 3.5 Sprint Runs in the works Sal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strong-Dog

Any Caly 3.5 Sprint Runs in the works Sal?

Post by Strong-Dog »

I've wanted this knife for a while, and am just waiting for the right opportunity. Thanks!
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
sal

Post by sal »

Nothing planned. Whatdoyouwant?

sal
nccole

Post by nccole »

A new Japanese steel we have not gotten to play with of course. Colored G10 scales would be cool. I honestly missed out and keep my eyes peeled for the 3.5 SB. I can find the 3 SB pretty easily, but I want the larger version.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

sal wrote:Nothing planned. Whatdoyouwant?

sal
I'd like a new, stainless steel. Something a bit easier to sharpen than ZDP-189. I'd also like navy blue or coyote brown G10.

Is Hitachi the only foundry that Spyderco works with in Japan? I just find it weird that American foundries are constantly bringing new cutlery steels forward but it looks like their Japanese counterparts are not.

Thanks, Sal. ;)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

sal wrote:Nothing planned. Whatdoyouwant?

sal
Anything you can come up with! You guys at Spyderco never dissappoint
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Are there any Japanese tool steels that may work well in a blade?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Invective

Post by Invective »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Are there any Japanese tool steels that may work well in a blade?
I've been saying it for a while, SKD-11/SKD-12, which are the Japanese versions of CPM-D2/A2, although I'm not sure the Caly line is the best for a tool steel. They've always seemed like slicers to me so having a tough tool steel doesn't really fit with that.

If we could get a Caly in YXR-7 that'd be pretty amazing though and I'd buy at least 2!
sal

Post by sal »

Some Japanese foundries that make high performance blade steels; Hitachi, Aichi, Takefu and Daido.

sal
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

More 3.5 sprints thats what Im talking about! Something in blue or green G10. What other steels are out there in Japan? Im happy with ZDP and Sb but down for something else exotic and fancy!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

sal wrote:Some Japanese foundries that make high performance blade steels; Hitachi, Aichi, Takefu and Daido.

sal
See, this is why I love Spyderco.

-Henry Hill
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Peel ply CF ala CF Stretch? Some micarta action perhaps?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Nate

Post by Nate »

Carbon: White #1 or 2
Stainless: Gin 3, 13C26 (or similar)
High Speed Tool: Cowry X, Super Gold #2

Just some ideas :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Dark green, orange, dark burgundy or brown scales. Solid SG2.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'd be all in on any non-stainless caly model in clad or non-clad. I wouldn't mind a shot at a 420J2/superblue clad Caly 3.5.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

SolidState wrote:I'd be all in on any non-stainless caly model in clad or non-clad. I wouldn't mind a shot at a 420J2/superblue clad Caly 3.5.
Yeah come to think of it, I'd be down for anything 3.5 (that's what she said). Very fond of the Caly 3.5

Even though I have two of the original SB 3.5's, I'd probably get one of those lol. Such an awesome combination of steel and knife. Then, I'll dye the G10 dark blue :cool:
-Leonard Nimoy
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I have several requests, but any hope for a big brother treatment that the Ti Delica and Endura Damascus have going with the Caly? I would very much love to see a bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3.5, identical in styling to the 3.0 version. That would be THE Caly 3.5! Thanks Sal!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Since MT18, I'm obsessed with a Caly 3.5 in S110V, with the same carbon fiber as the sprint run bolstered caly 3, but without bolsters this time. Micarta (black or dark burgundy) will be fine too.
CF thickness of the caly 3.5 in ZDP189 is a bit to thin for my taste and hand, so a slightly thicker and contoured handle will be great.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I would very much love to see a bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3.5, identical in styling to the 3.0 version. That would be THE Caly 3.5! Thanks Sal!
+1
I am in.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

D1omedes wrote: I'd also like navy blue or coyote brown G10.
Apophis wrote:High Speed Tool: Cowry X, Super Gold #2
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I would very much love to see a bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3.5, identical in styling to the 3.0 version. That would be THE Caly 3.5!
I really like all of these suggestions. Perhaps a little backspacer filework as well?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
LC Kid

Textured CF / Bolstered Damascus Caly 3.5

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I would very much love to see a bolstered CF Damascus Caly 3.5, identical in styling to the 3.0 version.
If such a marvelous Sprint Damascus Bolstered Caly 3.5 comes with Textured CF, a la Sage 1, I would buy two in a blink. :D
Stay Sharp!