Salt knives and fish pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

Surfingringo wrote:I will chime in with my 2¢ until O.G. shows up. I looked at the tasman (and other hawkbills) a thousand times and never really saw its value as an edc or utility knife. My opinion has changed dramatically since I got one a couple of months ago. I started carrying it fishing in my kayak along with my pacific salt where truthfully, it rarely gets used. But when I started playing around gutting and cleaning fish my entire opinion changed. So much that now I almost always carry it along with my Millie. And you know what? More often than not these days, it's the tasman that I reach for and not the Millie.

What is it good at. Pretty much anything that doesn't require putting the edge on a flat surface. Pull cuts are obviously where it excels. Opening boxes, packages, bags, (even fish) all respond very well to a hawkbill. I often place my index finger on the spine and the effect is as close to having an extremely functional human claw as I'm likely to get. Like I said earlier, I am using and liking this knife WAY more than I ever suspected! I am in the habit of carrying two folders. I used to carry a dragonfly along with my larger folder, but I'm now feeling it is way more useful to have a se hawkbill as a second blade instead of just a smaller traditional pe.
...will have to pull the plug-thanx for the thorough reply Surfingringo-awesome pic buy the way and nice fish.i've downloaded it to my c drive and will use it as a screen saver.if anyone asks i will tell them it is your pic.have to agree that it is definately a contender for the 2015 calendar...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Man. That pic is killing me. It is still icefishing season here. No pics with knives sorry.

I cut up a lot of frozen sucker meat for bait and don't know if a hawkbill would work for me. I usually use a small fixed blade beater that I keep with my gear. I wish there was more belly on the salt knives myself. I think I need an aqua salt SE or the USN catcherman. I really dropped the ball missing those two knives.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Man. That pic is killing me. It is still icefishing season here. No pics with knives sorry.

I cut up a lot of frozen sucker meat for bait and don't know if a hawkbill would work for me. I usually use a small fixed blade beater that I keep with my gear. I wish there was more belly on the salt knives myself. I think I need an aqua salt SE or the USN catcherman. I really dropped the ball missing those two knives.
Good lord, that looks ummm..."different" than what I do. :D Lol!! You guys are hardcore! I love it! And yeah, as you kind of guessed the tasman is more or less worthless for cutting bait. One of it's few shortcomings. :(
bearfacedkiller

Crappy selfie from the other day with a 30 inch Mackinaw. A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.
bearfacedkiller

I know the fish looks frozen but he was only out of the water for a few seconds, that's why the pic stinks.

Not trying to hijack your thread. I get excited about fishing. :)

I second your pic being a contender for the catalog or calender.
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

I more month until salmon season.You guys are getting be pumped!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I know the fish looks frozen but he was only out of the water for a few seconds, that's why the pic stinks.

Not trying to hijack your thread. I get excited about fishing. :)

I second your pic being a contender for the catalog or calender.
Hahaha...I'm pretty sure it's impossible to hijack one of MY threads with fish pics. I hijack my own threads with fish pics! :rolleyes: :D . Those shots are great! I have to try that one day.
bearfacedkiller

OK. Been having a good winter. I actually love ice fishing more than summer fishing. I know, crazy. I don't have as many winter hobbies as I do summer hobbies so I actually get out fishing more in the winter. I spent most of my life in the great white north of upstate new york and icefishing is very big there. I've been living here in Colorado for about seven years though.

I don't release them all. I keep a lot of Rainbow Trout and Kokanee. These are the freezer fillers from last week. They are 20-22 inches and about 3 pounds each.

opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

[ATTACH]23364[/ATTACH] No fish but here are my Salties (Black Salt 1 PE, Yellow Salt 1 PE, yellow Tasman H1 spyderedge, yellow Dragonfly2 spyderedge, yellow Ladybug3 H1 hawkbill spyderedge, Brown Ladybug3 H1 PE.
Attachments
Spydercos salt.jpg
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

One quick pic. These are walleyes good eating

~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome photos guys! We should almost start a thread in the picture sub forum. "Show your game and knives" or something along those lines
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

Walleye may be my favorite. I miss that part of fishing in upstate New York. We used to kill 'em.

I need one of those USN catchermans. I'll find one someday.

I'll toss a spydie in my next fish pic. Never thought of it. :)

This thread is off to a good start, maybe we could get it moved over to the pics section?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

No spyderco directly in the photo but there's a Tasman in my back right pocket. King salmon at 3am in a storm off a pier on Lake Michigan

~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~