Salt knives and fish pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Salt knives and fish pics

Post by Surfingringo »

Love those salts. I have been using the Tasman WAY more than I ever thought I would. It has turned out to be a great gutting and cleaning knife! Had a box full of twenty dollar lures today and nothing was biting. Finally tied on a $3 spoon and got these guys and a couple more. Go figure. :rolleyes:
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Cool shot!
Hold Fast

David
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Always enjoy your pics!

Especially when I am sitting in an engineering office under fluorescent lights... :mad:
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Nice!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That's what I was talking about Lance. Nice shot! Looks calendar worthy to me. :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Lance, its because of you, my H1 addiction continues to expand. Great photo, I'm jealous. Our spring salmon season is just now starting, hope to post some new stuff this year as well. I now own a nice line-up of H1 salts, but still dont have a Tasman. That Tasman, for the price, is a no brainer IMHO. Great little knife to say the least. I own a Spyderhawk, same thing, love it...........

Cheers, Dude!
Fish on!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Thanks for sharing. Nice fish and nice knives. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome photos! I have been on the fence in regard to the talisman for almost a year now... one day
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yup, I find the tasman to be a superb design for cleaning whole fish. My girlfriend and I love to eat those small snapper whole and we use the mackerel heads in soup, so I rarely throw the heads away. So when I clean I open the belly all the way to the gills and have to cut through the breast bone. I also remove the gills. I find both of these jobs much easier and safer with the hawkbill, especially the gill removal...just "hook and pull". Also, since getting the tasman, I have started gutting and cleaning on the kayak a lot. I didn't before because there's just not much room, but the tasman is so precise and efficient it makes it way easier to do some of the dirty work while still on the water!

Overall, I think the tasman makes an awesome companion knife to a larger folder, fishing or not. I usually have the pacific salt or military IWB and the tasman clipped to a cord around my neck.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Great picture! Interesting that the Tasman works well for you to clean fish. I haven't tried cleaning fish with a hawkbill.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Revival

Post by Revival »

Amazing pic!
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...don't have a tasman...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Your pictures are spot on! Miss the salty air and the sea! Take care. :)
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Great pictures. Makes me want to escape the cold midwest and get somewhere warmer for at least a week or two!
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...can see your pacific has screws instead of pins- bought mine in 2010 and it is all pinned...
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Very nice picture, hopefully I can post a few similar pictures with my Pacific and some freshwater beasts this summer! Most likely canidates: Brown Trout, Bluegill, Sheepshead, Largemouth Bass. I'm so jealous you can fish year-round man, I'd KILL to be on some open water.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

NeverEnough wrote:...don't have a tasman...
You're missing out. Thing is awesome
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

Officer Gigglez wrote:You're missing out. Thing is awesome
...what sort of cutting tasks do you do with it Officer Gigglez?do you e.d.c it?more info would be appreciated-been wanting one for ages but always get other models first-waiting on the hungarian folder at the moment.do you prefer serrated?i have pacific and atlantic both with teeth...
Revival

Post by Revival »

NeverEnough wrote:...what sort of cutting tasks do you do with it Officer Gigglez?do you e.d.c it?more info would be appreciated-been wanting one for ages but always get other models first-waiting on the hungarian folder at the moment.do you prefer serrated?i have pacific and atlantic both with teeth...
I would to like to know this as well. I am set on getting a Salt serrated blade but can't figure out which one to get between the Salt, Pacific and now the Tasman.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

NeverEnough wrote:...what sort of cutting tasks do you do with it Officer Gigglez?do you e.d.c it?more info would be appreciated-been wanting one for ages but always get other models first-waiting on the hungarian folder at the moment.do you prefer serrated?i have pacific and atlantic both with teeth...
I will chime in with my 2¢ until O.G. shows up. I looked at the tasman (and other hawkbills) a thousand times and never really saw its value as an edc or utility knife. My opinion has changed dramatically since I got one a couple of months ago. I started carrying it fishing in my kayak along with my pacific salt where truthfully, it rarely gets used. But when I started playing around gutting and cleaning fish my entire opinion changed. So much so that now I almost always carry it along with my Millie, whether I'm fishing or not. And you know what? More often than not these days, it's the tasman that I reach for and not the Millie. Seriously. It's obviously the less versatile of the two, but ironically its more specific design performs better for the majority of what I do. It has limitations of course but it works so well at so many things you could almost say that it's been my primary knife and the military has been the backup! :eek: . I won't go too far with that thought yet though. We'll see how I feel once the new completely wears off of it. ;)

What is it good at. Pretty much anything that doesn't require putting the edge on a flat surface. Pull cuts are obviously where it excels. Opening boxes, packages, bags, (even fish) all respond very well to a hawkbill. I often place my index finger on the spine and the effect is as close to having an extremely functional human claw as I'm likely to get. Like I said earlier, I am using and liking this knife WAY more than I ever suspected! I am in the habit of carrying two folders. I used to carry a dragonfly along with my larger folder, but I'm now feeling it is way more useful to have a se hawkbill as a second blade instead of just a smaller traditional pe.