Question on frame locks, specifically the Domino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jalcon

Question on frame locks, specifically the Domino

Post by jalcon »

I know you can wear out a frame lock, or liner lock. But can you wear it out the "opposite way", I.E. by pushing the frame lock over too far when disengaging it? I ask because I have a folder (albeit a cheap one), and I did just that. From repeated disengagements, the frame lock just stayed disengaged after awhile. Can this happen?

Also, it seems as if people have different opinions about flicking there knives. Is there anything done to the Domino to make it a "flicker",...obvious being a flipper it is going to get flicked open, and a lot.

Thanks.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

You could over extend the lockbar, but the Domino's steel insert acts as an over travel stop so I don't think you'll have any problems.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Also with it being a spyderco and having a titanium lockbar side.....I wouldn't think you'd have anything to worry about. I have a couple striders with framelocks that are older and don't have the lockbar stabilizer (the framelocks stop) and have had no problems with them "wearing out". As long as you don't abuse it you should be okay :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Interesting. Thanks guys..
dirk de wit

Post by dirk de wit »

If you over extend the lockbar you will reduce the locking pressure of course!
Disassemble the knife ,push the lockbar inwards a bit more and you are ready to go again ;)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Either way I don't think you are likely to wear either one of them out.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

The Domino has steel on steel lockup. That helps with reducing lockbar wear.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maybe if you have the thumb strength of a gorilla.