Spyderco Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Spyderco Caly 3.5

Post by this_is_nascar »

I got tired of debating whether or not I should get one of these, so I just ordered a brand-new Caly 3.5, G-10/VG-10 for $107.34, shipped to my door. I should have it in a few days. My expectations are extremely high, so I hope this knife does not disappoint.

As some of you know, I've been asking dozens of questions about this knife. I've looked at hours and hours worth of video. I really wanted the Caly 3, but didn't want the current steel that's being offered, so I went with the Caly 3.5.

I'm really looking forward to experience all the hype this knife has. I hope it doesn't fall short on its delivery.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Welcome to the club. I carry mine almost every day now.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Holland

Post by Holland »

Im sure you will be happy with it! great knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It is a great knife. Some of them need a bit of cleaning and breaking in before they become smooth so be prepared for a bit stiff opening at first.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

That sounds like a good price. I'll have to see what I paid for mine. The Caly 3 doesn't make much sense to me unless you are restricted to a three inch blade. I looked at the Caly 3 at SMKW a few months ago and couldn't figure out why I wanted a knife only a quarter of an inch shorter than my 3.5 but with a half inch shorter blade so I passed it up
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Both are great but the 3.5 is quite superior to the 3.0 IMHO, and superior to many others at that! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

In my pocket right now. #1 apple peeler/cutter/slicer in the world, as a side note. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Revival

Post by Revival »

It's about time! Congrats.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr this_is_nascar!

You won't be disapointed with your new Caly 3.5. That's a fact.
:spyder: Mine sits comfortably between the Top Five Spydercos Ever. :D
Stay Sharp!
Sully

Post by Sully »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Mr this_is_nascar!

You won't be disapointed with your new Caly 3.5. That's a fact.
:spyder: Mine sits comfortably between the Top Five Spydercos Ever. :D
Care to name the other 4, LC Kid? I find it fascinating. And I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a Caly 3.5. Just read the old announcement thread about the Gray BlueSteel Caly3.5....several mentions of up/down blade play. Anyone notice that in the G-10 version?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jazz wrote:#1 apple peeler/cutter/slicer in the world, as a side note. :)
Funny that you mentioned. Caly3.5 is my dedicated apple cutter :) . I mostly use it to cut my apples and lunch. Sometimes as a paring knife on the kitchen. I have two paring knives, but none of them as good as Caly3.5 or Caly3.
Sully wrote:several mentions of up/down blade play. Anyone notice that in the G-10 version?
To the best of my knowledge, any mid lock can develop up/down blade play. Still, I have 3 midlocks, which I carried and used for years and none of them have noticeable for me blade play. One of them C83 Persian was used (still in use) since August 2006 to cut anything I need, so it saw plenty of use.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Yeah nascar that's an extremely good price. I looked and I paid $109 for mine two or three years ago at a dealer who normally gives me very good prices. And too the knife retails now for $209 so that's what I usually shoot for as close to half retail as I can get and how badly I want the knife will determine how much over half I will go.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Just got my shipping notice. It's scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. Also, I'm glad to hear it's a good apple slicer, as I eat 2-3 apples everyday.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I agree with all the positive comments. When I first got mine I was not sure I loved it and it had considerable grit which did not seem to want to work out even with soap and water. So I eventually took the blade out and cleaned out some significant metal shavings from the pivot area (this blade has no washers) and ever since it has been smooth as butter. Maybe not as smooth as my Sage 1 but pretty close and a much tighter package with a longer leaner blade. Mine has not blade play at all in any direction, not to say it can't develop but I carry and use this alot and it is pretty darn tight still.

As a matter of fact I once thought the Sage 1 was the ultimate dress pant carry knife for a professional who wants a capable blade that is not too scary but enough to fulfill many roles. Slowly as I have carried my Caly 3.5 more and more the Sage rarely leaves the storage chest. Actually I tried to pick this one up today as I am wearing a suit for a meeting and I do LOVE the twill CF of the Sage, but after carrying the Caly 3.5 so much it just felt too wide, too fat and too stubby/bulky for me. It is funny how this knife thing evolves when you carry every day. I started with the military/PM2 in rotation with some even bigger Cold Steel and ZT knives, migrated to the Sage, Yo2 and now have landed with the Caly 3.5 in my pocket on almost all work days. It has a laser sharp blade, nice thin grind and sharp but healthy tip. I have a hard time thinking what I would change (except the pinned handles which are great, but I would love to swap some twill CF out on this knife without having to go to ZDP steel, which IMO would be the ultimate dress carry knife). I would also love to see a similar blade/handle with a different lock (BBL or Comp lock) but I think this may add to the thickness which is one of my favorite aspects.

So to summarize (sorry for the long winded rambling discourse) I started out thinking this was one of the most boring and simple knives I have from Spyderco and now it is my favorite and by far most carried. I feel sorry for my other knives, lonely in the chest while the Caly is out and about ripping through anything I ask on a daily basis. Prepare to be underwhelmed at first and then fall in love...kinda that girl next door thing.
Sully

Post by Sully »

So informative, dgebler. Thanks for letting others benefit from your experience. I'm honing in on a Caly 3.5, and so nice to hear it's not a rookie mistake.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

dgebler wrote:I agree with all the positive comments. When I first got mine I was not sure I loved it and it had considerable grit which did not seem to want to work out even with soap and water. So I eventually took the blade out and cleaned out some significant metal shavings from the pivot area (this blade has no washers) and ever since it has been smooth as butter. Maybe not as smooth as my Sage 1 but pretty close and a much tighter package with a longer leaner blade. Mine has not blade play at all in any direction, not to say it can't develop but I carry and use this alot and it is pretty darn tight still.

As a matter of fact I once thought the Sage 1 was the ultimate dress pant carry knife for a professional who wants a capable blade that is not too scary but enough to fulfill many roles. Slowly as I have carried my Caly 3.5 more and more the Sage rarely leaves the storage chest. Actually I tried to pick this one up today as I am wearing a suit for a meeting and I do LOVE the twill CF of the Sage, but after carrying the Caly 3.5 so much it just felt too wide, too fat and too stubby/bulky for me. It is funny how this knife thing evolves when you carry every day. I started with the military/PM2 in rotation with some even bigger Cold Steel and ZT knives, migrated to the Sage, Yo2 and now have landed with the Caly 3.5 in my pocket on almost all work days. It has a laser sharp blade, nice thin grind and sharp but healthy tip. I have a hard time thinking what I would change (except the pinned handles which are great, but I would love to swap some twill CF out on this knife without having to go to ZDP steel, which IMO would be the ultimate dress carry knife). I would also love to see a similar blade/handle with a different lock (BBL or Comp lock) but I think this may add to the thickness which is one of my favorite aspects.

So to summarize (sorry for the long winded rambling discourse) I started out thinking this was one of the most boring and simple knives I have from Spyderco and now it is my favorite and by far most carried. I feel sorry for my other knives, lonely in the chest while the Caly is out and about ripping through anything I ask on a daily basis. Prepare to be underwhelmed at first and then fall in love...kinda that girl next door thing.

Thanks for posting this. I have a Sage-1 that I tried to EDC, but I found it to be too "chunky" for me. I really love the fit, finish, feel and looks of the Sage-1, but don't like how it carries. I'm please to hear that you're assessment of the Caly 3.5 is that it carries better than the Sage. Anything else you can tell me about how the Caly carries nicer than the Sage would be great and a good way to hold me over until Saturday :) .
LC Kid

Top Five

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr Sully!

Sully wrote:Care to name the other 4, LC Kid? I find it fascinating. And I'm dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a Caly 3.5.
In my book, the Top Five Spydercos Ever are: (in no particular order)

- ParaMili 2 CTS-204P Green G10

- Caly 3.5 Super Blue Gray G10

- DragonFly VG-10 Foliage Green G10
- Kiwi 2 VG-10 Jigged Bone- LadyBug ZDP-189 British Racing Green FRN

And regarding Knife Makers, there's another Top Five Spyderco Collaborations list!
:D
Stay Sharp!
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

Should I go 3.5 in g10 or carbon fiber????????? I love vg10 but I haven't used zdp189 yet and I don't have a cf knife yet. This question kills me :(
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
Revival

Post by Revival »

All-R-Crazy wrote:Should I go 3.5 in g10 or carbon fiber????????? I love vg10 but I haven't used zdp189 yet and I don't have a cf knife yet. This question kills me :(
I had the same delima. I went with the VG-10/G-10 version. I had the Caly 3 in the Carbon Fiber and it wasn't for me. Who knows though, it might work for you. The Caly's CF was really smooth and did not provide enough grip for me. I did not want to deal with the sharpening of the zip-189….not yet anyways.
Sully

Post by Sully »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Mr Sully!

In my book, the Top Five Spydercos Ever are: (in no particular order)

- ParaMili 2 CTS-204P Green G10

- Caly 3.5 Super Blue Gray G10

- DragonFly VG-10 Foliage Green G10
- Kiwi 2 VG-10 Jigged Bone- LadyBug ZDP-189 British Racing Green FRN

And regarding Knife Makers, there's another Top Five Spyderco Collaborations list!
:D

LC Kid, I like your list a lot. 3/5 GREEN. 4/5 LEFTY-ish.

Even the GRAY color for the G-10 seems so appropriate for the Japanese uber-cool SB 3.5.

Forum Native 5 even close to getting in there?