Spyderco Stretch (black frn, vg10 Steele)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
outdoorsmen1985

Spyderco Stretch (black frn, vg10 Steele)

Post by outdoorsmen1985 »

Ordered the base model spyderco stretch, coming in the mail tomorrow, just one question is the base model stretch (black frn handle, and vg10 steele) also etched with sal's name on the blade? Im hoping so, i want one with the SAL on it. Im new to spyderco and really love the one i have (tenacious, and robin 2) but also what do you all think about the stretch? Was it a good buy? $74 on Amazon.com thanks in advance!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Awesome knife :D . It should have his maker mark on it. Hope you enjoy it!
outdoorsmen1985

Thanks, i will post a pic tomorrow if it arrives before i leave for work
nccole

Post by nccole »

Mine unfortunately does not have his signature on it and I wish it did. Not sure why some do and some don't. It is a great knife though.

outdoorsmen1985

nccole wrote:Mine unfortunately does not have his signature on it and I wish it did. Not sure why some do and some don't. It is a great knife though.

I will let you know if mine does when it comes. I hope so!
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

Stretch in vg10 is my current edc and its an excellent slicer. Enjoy your purchase! P.s. after you fall in love, dont forget to get one in zdp-189 too ;)
:spyder:
nccole

Post by nccole »

Sharktooth wrote:Stretch in vg10 is my current edc and its an excellent slicer. Enjoy your purchase! P.s. after you fall in love, dont forget to get one in zdp-189 too ;)
Or Super Blue. It is coming soon hopefully!
timlara

Post by timlara »

Great choice, outdoorsmen! You will not be disappointed.

My Stretch is the ZDP-189 with green handles and it does have Sal's mark. I don't think the mark has anything to do with the different steels, though. I notice that neither model shows the mark in the 2014 printed catalog I have.

Where's The Deacon when we need him? It seems like he has every Stretch ever made! :)
outdoorsmen1985

Thanks for all the added hype! I can't wait to get the mail tomorrow! I'm happy i went with the stretch! I was going to get the Centefonte but i don't like that the handle is riveted together. Maybe i will still get the Centefonte as a collection piece and not use it, idk. I really would not want to use a knife that i cant completely take down to clean and oil.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm a major fan of the Stretch and have been since the first stainless steel with Kraton inlay version came out over nine years ago. I have every version Spyderco has offered, a couple I had customized, and one very special and very elegant one that Sal gave me and, while I've carried all of them and most often carry one of the fancier ones, my black FRN VG-10 Stretch still sees pocket time.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I have loved my black Stretch in VG10 since the day I got it! It is by far my favorite and most used knife that I own. It may not be a fancy knife, but it is very ergonomic. If you bought it to use, you will not be disappointed!
Mine does have Sal's signature on it which made me very happy when it arrived. I still don't know if there is a way to know which ones are signed.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I bought the combo edge one when they were discontinued for $39. That was the best Spyderco deal I've even had. Love the stretch. Its a great knife. Mine does not have Sal's mark on the blade.

I've been meaning to send mine in for repair. When closed the lock bar protrudes out and the blade does not fully close. I hope its an easy fix.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I have the older ZDP carbon fiber version. Its claim to fame is the handle thinness. It's a mean cutter with the reprofiled edge.
Looking forward to the super blue version!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Excellent knife pretty good size not for the fainthearted, excellent slicer, nice belly, I do think it was designed as a hunting knife. I have the ZDP version and I love it. Waiting on the super blue sprint also.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Revival

Post by Revival »

One of the most comfortable knives out there! I would love to see a mini version!
outdoorsmen1985

I got my stretch! And it does have Sal on it! And yes i will use it. Not to gross any non hunters out that might be on this page, but this will be used for gutting small to medium sized game. That's why the screw together construction is so important to me. After a day of bloodying it up i can take it completely apart clean and re-oil.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Revival wrote:One of the most comfortable knives out there! I would love to see a mini version!
That would be nice, I would need one right away :0
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
outdoorsmen1985

swigert wrote:I am also a hunter and have been looking for the right folder from spyderco for skinning and gutting game...after holding the knife do you think it will do well?
Not really sure, the belly may not be pronounced enough, i will try it out next time i go out.