Not as intimidated by serrated edges

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Serrated edges will remain useful for me until I end up on a deserted island for too long. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:Is this by chance the same knife maker who says the "Americanized tanto" is also useless? I see a pattern forming here.

Once again, this person's views are very opinionated, and only focusing on one side of the spectrum. Ask a professional sailor/fisherman who deals with cutting ropes on a daily basis if SE is useless for his practical purposes. Ask the folks who use the Spyderco Whale Rescue blade if SE is useless for cutting nets/ropes/fishing line off whales to save their lives. Ask a paramedic if a SE Rescue blade is useless for cutting seat belts. This "real hard field use" probably consists of a bunch of tasks that SE simply doesn't excel at, which only means SE doesn't excel at those things. SE is a very purpose designed edge style that excels at cutting specific types of matieral, so if you go out and bushcraft with one then you probably won't feel that it's as capable as a PE blade (although I have seen many examples of people camping and bushcrafting with SE blades and they got along just fine). If this person simply says that PE is much more versatile, then I could agree with that, but there are still a bunch of scenarios where SE will out perform PE.

Now, I have always been of the opinion that there is a simple way to look at this and decide which is better, and for me it boils down to this...a PE can do anything a SE can do, but a SE can't do anything a PE can do. Even though a SE blade may cut rope better, you can still cut rope with a PE. I have yet to see someone carve a spoon with a SE blade though ;)
You can carve a spoon with one...but it definitely won't win any beauty contests. ;) . But yeah, I agree with everything you said. I never used se knives until this year but I've discovered I actually prefer carrying them a lot of the time. I have discovered that the majority of my cutting tasks (a lot involve fishing, line, rope, and tough fish skin and bone) respond better to a serrated edge. They certainly are not as versatile as pe blades, but for certain tasks they will indeed outperform their pe counterparts. And as far as anyone going so far as to say they are useless?? Pfft, por favor. :rolleyes:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

[quote="Evil D"]Is this by chance the same knife maker who says the "Americanized tanto" is also useless? I see a pattern forming here.

Yes it is the same person.
SpyderEdgeForever

Now combo-edges, I really do dislike those... But even those are useful to some.

FCM415, can you please explain why you dislike the combo-edges? It seems to me that they give the best of both: SE and PE at once?
SpyderEdgeForever

Has anyone on here ever sharpened a SE blade so much that the scallops/serrations are gone, and it has been transformed into a plain edge?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Now combo-edges, I really do dislike those... But even those are useful to some.

FCM415, can you please explain why you dislike the combo-edges? It seems to me that they give the best of both: SE and PE at once?
I can't speak for him, but many people feel you end up with not enough of either one to really be useful. The best way to have a CE is on a very long blade so you get a decent amount of each type of edge. Then there's the issue with how the edges are ground, since the edge of a PE is centered to the width of the blade, while SE is usually offset to the side. Most times you also get a chisel ground PE portion, which not many people like.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Has anyone on here ever sharpened a SE blade so much that the scallops/serrations are gone, and it has been transformed into a plain edge?
If you end up losing your serrations through sharpening, then you're sharpening the wrong way. If each serration is sharpened evenly, the blade should wear evenly and the serrations should always be there. This is also another reason I like to use a diamond rod, as there's no way you'll end up losing teeth.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Unless you try to eat it.
Revival

Post by Revival »

So does everyone prefer the H-1 serrations over the VG-10 serrations?
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

try one of those triple wall radiator hoses with both edges see which one does a better job. I cut a lot of thick nylon tie down straps I have used both plain and serrated, serrated works better for me.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I was thinking the same thing as I read the posts and I have seen a serrated knife used so hard and re-sharpened (not the right way) so many times that its now a plain edge. A friend of mine does that, he punishes knives with a vengeance. We call him "tummy" everything that goes through him turns to crap.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Donut

Post by Donut »

The problem I have with Combo Edges is that there is an odd transition between the saber ground serration and the V ground plain edge. The two edges typically don't line up. I need to change my sharpening method and the roll onto the first scallop never seems to go smoothly.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Revival wrote:So does everyone prefer the H-1 serrations over the VG-10 serrations?
Well, according to Sal the edge of serrated H1 is the hardest they've ever tested. How that translates into anything at all is probably very subjective. My opinion of edge retention is that SE H1 is about on par with SE S30V, so I don't know if that hardness makes any difference. What I do like is that when I'm using my Dremel to power strop the serrations, I don't have to worry about effecting heat treat (though I still go slow to avoid burning the edge).
~David
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Revival wrote:So does everyone prefer the H-1 serrations over the VG-10 serrations?
I like the way the H1 look, a more shallow scallop but both work well
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I know the data shows that H1 has far superior edge retention to VG-10, but I find that I really like VG-10 in SE. **** I have even come to love the improvement in edge retention that I "feel" with SE when comparing with PE AUS-8. I try to carry an SE of something on my person at any point in time. I use the SE sharpening method described by Joshua J. and find it very very easy and time efficient. The 701 profile stones are better at sharpening serrated edges on both sides, but the benchstone works fine for my needs.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zombie,

Glad that your new knowledge is working for you. Always more to learn.

Hi Opusxpn,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Thank you Sir, love it here.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Great thread! My first full Spyderedge, a yellow Pacific Salt, is arriving in three days, also my first H-1. The black blade PE version was one of the first spydies that caught my eye--a very cool looking knife--and I hope to get it eventually.

I've got a couple of combo edge knives, Manix2 and Tenacious, that I find pretty good for utility work around the yard and garden. Also a combo foliage green Delica, which I got mainly because I think it's sort of a Spyderco classic.

Wished I'd had the the SE a couple of weeks ago when I had to cut through many buried loops of thick, tough 3/4 inch garden hose while repairing the water line to my house, but my cruwear millie did the job in short order.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Revival

Post by Revival »

opusxpn wrote:I like the way the H1 look, a more shallow scallop but both work well
xceptnl wrote:I know the data shows that H1 has far superior edge retention to VG-10, but I find that I really like VG-10 in SE. **** I have even come to love the improvement in edge retention that I "feel" with SE when comparing with PE AUS-8. I try to carry an SE of something on my person at any point in time. I use the SE sharpening method described by Joshua J. and find it very very easy and time efficient. The 701 profile stones are better at sharpening serrated edges on both sides, but the benchstone works fine for my needs.
Thank you. Let us know how you like it Doug. I have plans on getting one myself but its a matter of going to the site and just buying it... Haha
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

opusxpn wrote:I like the way the H1 look, a more shallow scallop but both work well
FYI, the shallow scalps have nothing to do with steel type, more likely just has something to do with the rest of the blade and how it's ground.
~David
JBE

Post by JBE »

Best way I ever found to sharpen a SE was to use the corner of the whites set at 20 degrees on the Sharpmaker using a 3:1 ratio then follow-up by stropping each scallop with a leather shoe string loaded with compound.
Jason