Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Anti Rape Knife...is what someone else called it elsewhere..sad really...
That may have been another working title for the acronym. I'll have to check with Sam and John. It is horrible and sad that US Troops would need to wear a neck knife in the shower to avoid getting raped, but it's true. There were also plenty of male on male sexual assaults over there, so that knife is intended for everyone.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

It is a shameful origin ugaarguy, but it definitely looks like a very useful design. I could see myself using it as a skinning knife, if I still hunted.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
bchan

Post by bchan »

bornagainprimative wrote:I'd hope it gets some aggressive jumping for thumb and choil.
+1. I can't see the jimping from the photos.

Still, a self-defence knife in H1! Is that a first?
Revival

Post by Revival »

Good stuff... Thank you
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

bchan wrote:+1. I can't see the jimping from the photos.

Still, a self-defence knife in H1! Is that a first?
The Warrior is in H1, if I remember correctly.

With that handle shape, I don't see why it's necessary to add jimping.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The prototype John sent me is pretty much identical to the Spyderco version (not in H1 of course) but it didn't even have scales. From my experience, it doesn't need jimping. The finger choil, thumb ramp, and overall blade shape really lock the knife into the hand. John is an accomplished martial artist, and Sam does historical style wood frame structure carpentry in PA. The synergy of martial artist and traditional hand tool user really comes through in their collaborations.
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

It seriously reminds me of a dragon fly fixed blade almost and that is very cool IMO.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

StuntZombie wrote:The Warrior is in H1, if I remember correctly.
I wouldn't call the Warrior a "self-defence" knife... maybe a self-offensive knife.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great first set of pictures. Wouter thank you.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. I'm definitely into that ARK. If only it was available right now...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wow, didn't know Sam's knife got picked up as a collaboration. Hope it goes into full blown production.
All God's critters have knives.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Cool looking knife. Sad reason it was developed...but that being said. I might be interested. I wear a Krein TK-1 pretty much 24/7 now...and have yet to have any rust on the D2 blade...but it hasn't seen a summer yet. So having an H1 blade might be a good idea.

I can't see a reason for any jimping to be added. With that design I bet even with wet hands and a wet knife it won't slip at all in your grip.

Thanks as always Mr Blonde! Can't wait to see more!
On the hunt for...
Sam1911

Post by Sam1911 »

Hi Guys! Thanks for all the well wishes and enthusiasm!

It is imperative to me that John's vision and drive be recognized. This is HIS knife, I'm just the "messenger." :)

-Sam
Donut

Post by Donut »

I already checked the forums a couple of times looking for this thread. I'm looking forward to it.

That first one is an interesting Perrin inspired model.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Here we go again!!! Wouter I saw you sweeting yeserday to get them all on the sensor, we all appreciate your hard work! Thx for the great pics!
ugaarguy wrote:The prototype John sent me is pretty much identical to the Spyderco version (not in H1 of course) but it didn't even have scales. From my experience, it doesn't need jimping. The finger choil, thumb ramp, and overall blade shape really lock the knife into the hand. John is an accomplished martial artist, and Sam does historical style wood frame structure carpentry in PA. The synergy of martial artist and traditional hand tool user really comes through in their collaborations.
I agree with your findings on the other hand the Proto shown last year featured a lanyard fob which extended the handle a little, it gave more control over the knife. This year the fob was not there and I missed it, with larger hands the handle is short and thin. I would add one when I would carry this knife.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Sam1911

Post by Sam1911 »

IG-88 wrote:I agree with your findings on the other hand the Proto shown last year featured a lanyard fob which extended the handle a little, it gave more control over the knife. This year the fob was not there and I missed it, with larger hands the handle is short and thin. I would add one when I would carry this knife.
I agree about the lanyard/fob, and I think I'd probably want one myself. (Though I don't actually have one on the slightly different neck knife I carry every day.)

The one issue we had with the idea was that this is designed primarily as a knife that would live on a soldier's dog-tag chain, especially in very minimalist circumstances (most usually, the shower) and that meant whatever is there is going to get soaking wet once or twice a day. So lanyard material would have to be super waterproof, or at the very least, non-absorbent.

Otherwise, one would be left with a damp and dripping "sponge" hanging around your neck after you're dressed again. Not much point in having an H1 "always there" knife that you take off every time you go to the one place it was designed for.

:)
-Sam O.
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

One of the highlights of the Spyderco-year! Thanks in advance, Mr Blonde and others, for the great info.
I am not a neck-knife carrier, but I do like small FBs and the ARK is a nice-looking one. It should appeal to many, including fans of Fred Perrin's designs.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sam1911 wrote:I agree about the lanyard/fob, and I think I'd probably want one myself. (Though I don't actually have one on the slightly different neck knife I carry every day.)

The one issue we had with the idea was that this is designed primarily as a knife that would live on a soldier's dog-tag chain, especially in very minimalist circumstances (most usually, the shower) and that meant whatever is there is going to get soaking wet once or twice a day. So lanyard material would have to be super waterproof, or at the very least, non-absorbent.

Otherwise, one would be left with a damp and dripping "sponge" hanging around your neck after you're dressed again. Not much point in having an H1 "always there" knife that you take off every time you go to the one place it was designed for.

:)
This is very sound reasoning.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is without a doubt one of the best threads on this site every year. As always thanks so much for your efforts in putting this together each year!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Mr Blonde wrote:The first knife that was shown and passed around all attendees, was the Sam Owens designed ARK prototype neck knife. ...
I received some important additional information on the ARK design by Sam Owens. He is not the sole designer. Mr. John Shirley played a very important role in the development of this design. In his own words, Sam Owens would like to add: “John is the vision and drive behind this. I’m just “the messenger.” That’s why it is the Shirley-Owens ARK.”
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram