Perrin ppt folder pivot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bpahk

Perrin ppt folder pivot

Post by bpahk »

Does anyone know what kind of opening mechanism the ppt uses? I've been EDCing mine for a few months now and it's so smooth it feels as if its an assisted open. Is it just the balance/weight of the blade or is it something more? Does it use a bushing system?
Anyway I love this knife and would like to know if any other folders have a similar opening mechanism.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

It uses conventional screws + washers.
I would have liked that at least the spacer was titanium. With titanium liners and spacer it would have been an awesome knife. Like it is, it's just great.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I attribute it's fast deployment to the strong detent and the geometry. It takes a bit of force to overcome, and then it just flies out. I also wonder exactly what's going on with that spacer, it's so heavy with no apparent necessity. It causes the balance to be back in the handle, and not where the thumb is like so many other spyderco folders. I'm cool with the steel liners, but that spacer is a bit too heavy in my opinion. Although I haven't disassembled it to see if there was no further way to lighten it, it's my guess that it doesn't have to be that heavy.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I agree with tvenuto. There are a few things that seem to be going on with the PPT.

1. Strong Detent
2. Big hole gives you more ability to add force
3. The blade seems light
4. The pivot area is smooth

I think a lot of the Taiwan models might operate similar to the PPT because of the smooth pivot.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I really like the Perrin knives. He knows his stuff, and it certainly shows. I especially like the Street Bowie. Man is a genius. A bit disappointing that the PPT is discontinued.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Officer Gigglez wrote:I really like the Perrin knives. He knows his stuff, and it certainly shows. I especially like the Street Bowie. Man is a genius. A bit disappointing that the PPT is discontinued.
Agreed on that one. I traded my PPT off a while back and feel extremely stupid for doing so.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

the detent! genius! i had to google what that meant but it makes perfect sense now that the strength of that initial resistance results in fast deployment.
does the sage 1 or 2 have a similarly strong detent and smooth pivot? as much as i like that golden colorado earth usa stamp, i think ill be shopping taiwan more
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bpahk wrote:the detent! genius! i had to google what that meant but it makes perfect sense now that the strength of that initial resistance results in fast deployment.
does the sage 1 or 2 have a similarly strong detent and smooth pivot? as much as i like that golden colorado earth usa stamp, i think ill be shopping taiwan more
My Sage 1 has a very smooth pivot, but the detent is not nearly as strong as my PPT. I'm not saying the detent is weak on the Sage, but it certainly doesn't take as much force to open.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com