Spyderco Cat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Spyderco Cat

Post by this_is_nascar »

Does anyone have one of these and care to comment? I'm looking for something similar in size/shape to the Chaparral, that has a liner-lock and wire-clip. The Cat seems to be the closest match. I'm not concerned about the steel being used, as I'm not a steel junking and my daily usage doesn't warrant the higher-end steels.

I've watched several videos and am still unclear as to whether or not the current Cat offering has jimping on the thumb-ramp and finger-choil.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Upon further research, it appears the older CF/S30V version did come with jimping, whereas the newer 44C, does not.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
araneae

Post by araneae »

this_is_nascar wrote:Upon further research, it appears the older CF/S30V version did come with jimping, whereas the newer 44C, does not. Anyone have a good C129CF, they want to sell? I'm assuming I can take that blade and put it on a current Cat to get what I want.
The newer 440C cats have jimping. Also, you can't buy sell or trade here or solicit sales. I would edit your post and read the forum guidelines.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks. I took care of my post. I appreciate the heads-up. I had read the rules quite some time ago, but must have forgotten. Do they have jimping in both areas, the thumb-ramp and the finger-choil?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Jimping appears to be on both sides now:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ing-s-back!

Also thought I'd share this comparison pic. Not mine, and can't find the sauce, hopefully the OP doesn't mind. It really helped me out when I was shopping for a small EDC:

(I picked the Chaparral :) )

*Chicago, Dragonfly, Cat, Chaparral, Sage (for the uninitiated)
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Awesome. Thanks so much for the response and the picture. I have the DF-2, Chaparral and Sage-1 pictured, so I now have an idea of where the Cat fits into that group, thanks to you. I really love my Chaparral, but wished it was a liner-lock. That's what started my search and it appears the Cat is the closest to having a Chaparral with a liner-lock.

It appears the handle width is just a tad wider than the Chaparral and not quite as wide as the Sage-1.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

One of my top 3 Spydercos.. Caly3, Delica are the others.. Like my Cat!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Glad it helped!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Just placed my order from an well-known online dealer and I made sure they had the jimped version. The other well-known dealer confirm that his stock was non-jimped. I've loved jimping from the 1st time I've seen it on my DF-2, then Chaparral, then Sage-1. For me, it's an absolute requirement in a knife the size of the Cat. I can't wait to get it in my hands.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I love the Cat. Have both CF and G10 versions and you can't beat the price for what you get!
markg

Post by markg »

Thanks for the picture too, I am on the fence between a Cat and Chicago...
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

markg wrote:Thanks for the picture too, I am on the fence between a Cat and Chicago...
If you don't live in Chicago get the Cat. The 2 inch blade is really stubby, well stubbier than the Cat, which is stubby as well! They both feel the same in hand though. I have both and prefer the Cat. :)
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I've watched several YouTube videos comparing the Chicago and the Cat. I agree, that if you really don't need the smaller blade of the Chicago, the Cat is the way to go. I got my shipping notice last night and according to the tracking info, I should have it in my hands tomorrow (Friday).
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Since this is the thread I started concerning my quest of the Cat, I'll copy my initial findings here as well.

Yep, it arrived today. It's OK. I keep telling myself it's only a $50 knife. Loaded with oil all over the place. Had to spend a bunch of time wiping off the excess. I'd no sooner get it wiped down, then open, only to have more oil running down the thing. The blade is not centered. The liner-lock requires way to much force for a knife this size. The pivot is so tight, that it's a real challenge to open and close the blade. It's the dullest Spyderco I've ever received. The jimping is way to conservative. It needs to be more aggressively cut. It's cut half the depth of the DF-2. That being said, it feels good in my hand and has solid lockup. The lock portion is nicely placed, so there's plenty of room for wear, without being concerned about how it will sit/lock in the future.

I purchased this because I was basically looking for a Chaparral that has a liner-lock. This Cat can't hold a candle to my Chaparral in any category except price. Sorry for being harsh on the Cat, but I've only had it in my hands for a few hours and I've since wasted time on drying all the oil off and then setting the pivot properly for my likes. For the price, It's a good beater knife. I'm sure my opinion will change as time goes on, but that my status for now.

For anyone that has a Chaparral, I see no reason to purchase a Cat, unless you want a liner-lock that's (2) to (3) times harder to disengage than the Sage-1 or if you want an open design vs the closed design of the Chaparral. My complaints aside, I'd be interested in seeing a Cat with the same textured CF of the Chaparral and Sage-1. I guess if that were to happen, it would be even more of a reason not to get a Cat if you have a Chaparral :) .

I may/may not take and post pictures. It's look like every other Cat you've seen with an off-center blade.
morgaj1

Post by morgaj1 »

this_is_nascar wrote:Since this is the thread I started concerning my quest of the Cat, I'll copy my initial findings here as well.

Yep, it arrived today. It's OK. I keep telling myself it's only a $50 knife. Loaded with oil all over the place. Had to spend a bunch of time wiping off the excess. I'd no sooner get it wiped down, then open, only to have more oil running down the thing. The blade is not centered. The liner-lock requires way to much force for a knife this size. The pivot is so tight, that it's a real challenge to open and close the blade. It's the dullest Spyderco I've ever received. The jimping is way to conservative. It needs to be more aggressively cut. It's cut half the depth of the DF-2. That being said, it feels good in my hand and has solid lockup. The lock portion is nicely placed, so there's plenty of room for wear, without being concerned about how it will sit/lock in the future.

I purchased this because I was basically looking for a Chaparral that has a liner-lock. This Cat can't hold a candle to my Chaparral in any category except price. Sorry for being harsh on the Cat, but I've only had it in my hands for a few hours and I've since wasted time on drying all the oil off and then setting the pivot properly for my likes. For the price, It's a good beater knife. I'm sure my opinion will change as time goes on, but that my status for now.

For anyone that has a Chaparral, I see no reason to purchase a Cat, unless you want a liner-lock that's (2) to (3) times harder to disengage than the Sage-1 or if you want an open design vs the closed design of the Chaparral. My complaints aside, I'd be interested in seeing a Cat with the same textured CF of the Chaparral and Sage-1. I guess if that were to happen, it would be even more of a reason not to get a Cat if you have a Chaparral :) .

I may/may not take and post pictures. It's look like every other Cat you've seen with an off-center blade.
I am surprised by this. I have both the Chaparral and Cat. My Cat is almost as nice as the Chaparral and is nice and smooth. I will say, though, that it was by far the dullest Spyderco from the factory I've ever gotten.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Nascar,

I wasn't impressed with my Cat either. Mainly it is the stiff lock and blade play that I don't like.

If you really want a knife that is about the same size and quality of the Chaparral, but with a liner lock, then you should try to find a Michael Walker C22. My only complaint about my C22 would be that it rides higher in the pocket than most knives because of the clip design. There is no jimping on the top of the blade so that might make a difference for you, but it does not bother me. The ergos are also different than a lot of the other Spydies.

Another good choice, but not a liner lock, is the Caly 3. It is a little smaller than the Sage and doesn't seem to take up as much pocket space. Mine became very stiff after carrying it for about half a day, but I have since been able to work that problem out. It is now one of the smoothest knives in my collection, and one of the few back locks that can easily be flicked open.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Sorry to hear you're not happy with your Cat. I have to say, my Cat is great. They're not all as you describe. Mine came clean, sharp, and properly lubed. The blade is centered. The lock is a little stiff, but totally manageable. I've been carrying and using mine for the last couple weeks with no complaints at all.
:bug-red-white
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

remnar wrote:Nascar,

I wasn't impressed with my Cat either. Mainly it is the stiff lock and blade play that I don't like.

If you really want a knife that is about the same size and quality of the Chaparral, but with a liner lock, then you should try to find a Michael Walker C22. My only complaint about my C22 would be that it rides higher in the pocket than most knives because of the clip design. There is no jimping on the top of the blade so that might make a difference for you, but it does not bother me. The ergos are also different than a lot of the other Spydies.

Another good choice, but not a liner lock, is the Caly 3. It is a little smaller than the Sage and doesn't seem to take up as much pocket space. Mine became very stiff after carrying it for about half a day, but I have since been able to work that problem out. It is now one of the smoothest knives in my collection, and one of the few back locks that can easily be flicked open.
I agree with the C22 recommendation, but the CF/ZDP is kind of hard to find at them moment.. I'd like a black and/or lower riding clip for it though..
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give it a bit of time to see if it will grow on me or not. As far as the other recommendations, I really want the deep pocket clip and full jimping. I'm not willing to sacrifice either of those options. The reason I looked at the Cat, because it was the closest thing I could find that was like a "liner-lock Chaparral". I'm not looking to purchase another back-lock knife at this time. All is still good, as I have my Chaparral. My only reason for getting the Cat was that it was the closest thing I could find (on paper anyway) to being liner-lock Chaparral.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Had a Cat and really liked it, the 440C took a quick edge and was really easy to keep in shape. My issue was that the lanyard pin rattled around making the whole knife sound cheap. Fixed that problem with two center punches to flare the ends and tighten it up, and loved it. Gifted it to a friend and find myself missing it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris