Y u no cpm-m4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strong-Dog

Y u no cpm-m4?

Post by Strong-Dog »

Seriously, this is my favorite steel...it seems like a lot of other people enjoy it too...Sal please use it more often. Tough, will hold a ridiculous edge for a ridiculous amount of time, also gets soo sharp and sharpens up easily. I love my Gayle Bradely, but this steel puts it over the top. If you love CPM-M4, post your experience with it here. If you hate it, post that here too.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

The Gayle Bradley is an awesome folder. No doubt about it. I don't have much experience with M4 outside the GB. I gravitate more to stainless blades. I think I would take M390 over M4 most days.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have both the Air and the Bradley folder and I love M4. I certainly wish that I had more...there are a few places I'd like to see it.

Caly Jr
UKPK G10 Sprint
PPT
Full G10 Military. (rather than the framelock sprint)

I've used my Bradley folder a lot and it has patina'd nicely...I then buffed it off and it has re-patina'd and I just love the look of it. I use it for a food knife and a whittler and an EDC...I love it. But yeah....more more more please!!!!
On the hunt for...
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Stainless sells more.
As much as we love the performance there are a lot of people who will avoid it because of rust.
It helps to remember that a significant majority of humanity lives on the coast.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Well bollocks to them!! I want more M4!! (joking....mostly...sort of...) :D
On the hunt for...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Yeah my M4 Bradley takes a really nice edge and I'd love to see more knives with the steel. I prefer it to M390.
Holland

Post by Holland »

My favourite steel! Would love to see more offered in it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Love the GB. Still waiting on an M4 Para 2.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I love CPM-M4. Not sure what other knives it would be nice on.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Golden produced the M4 Manix2 in my pocket, so why not an M4 PM2 and/or an M4 Native5?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

wrdwrght wrote:Golden produced the M4 Manix2 in my pocket, so why not an M4 PM2 and/or an M4 Native5?
So jealous of that manix...
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Is the title of this thread a play off of some meme or just poor grammar?

Anyway, more M4 please, I agree. A M4 Southard would be awesome!
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

When the internet was a much smaller place and discussions would often be more frank, it was suggested on Benchmades forum that they use more M2 (late nineties). Benchmade agreed that the steel was in fact more optimal in a lot of ways that the stainless they were using however the cost of marketing / service on the non-stainless was so prohibitive that it made them stop using it. You have to realize that not everyone will realize M4 isn't a stainless and when it rusts all they will think it something like "cheap (foreign) steel!" .
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Cliff Stamp wrote:When the internet was a much smaller place and discussions would often be more frank, it was suggested on Benchmades forum that they use more M2 (late nineties). Benchmade agreed that the steel was in fact more optimal in a lot of ways that the stainless they were using however the cost of marketing / service on the non-stainless was so prohibitive that it made them stop using it. You have to realize that not everyone will realize M4 isn't a stainless and when it rusts all they will think it something like "cheap (foreign) steel!" .
This is sadly true and those folks won't buy anymore of those "crappy spydercos with their rusty steels."
Syncharmony wrote:...A M4 Southard would be awesome!
That is an understatement Sync.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Cliff Stamp wrote:When the internet was a much smaller place and discussions would often be more frank, it was suggested on Benchmades forum that they use more M2 (late nineties). Benchmade agreed that the steel was in fact more optimal in a lot of ways that the stainless they were using however the cost of marketing / service on the non-stainless was so prohibitive that it made them stop using it. You have to realize that not everyone will realize M4 isn't a stainless and when it rusts all they will think it something like "cheap (foreign) steel!" .
Cliff, I don't know if you read reviews on Amazon but your assessment is spot on. People in general associate low corrosion resistance with cheap/inferior steel. Even on the reviews for the Gayle Bradley this is the case. Trying to correct this misconception is difficult. People believe the marketing nonsense that forged steel is better than stamped and heavy German knives are the end all be all. Tv chefs regurgitate marketing bullet points and this promotes more ignorance. They promote poor knife skills like scraping the edge on the cutting board and leaving their knife dirty. People have lost touch with carbon steel and basic knife care.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I could get excited about a G-10 Native 5 sprint in CPM-M4. It would make an excellent regrind candidate in my opinion.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Syncharmony wrote:Is the title of this thread a play off of some meme or just poor grammar?

Anyway, more M4 please, I agree. A M4 Southard would be awesome!
It is a play off of a meme :D

-Henry Hill
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's not the same but Spyderco is in the process of releasing 6 sprints of Super Blue. For those who like carbon steel it's a shoppers paradise. Otherwise having the Bradley Folder and Air as normal production is pretty awesome. Many makers do M4 only for limited editions and charge you the moon for it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm all for it. I would even be in for a laminate version to help with corrosion.

Also while I love a good meme, it's best to name threads more legible, especially for future search reasons.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I have more blades in carbon than I do stainless....just a little common sense and you will not have an issue with rust. I would love an M4 PM2 or Endura.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.