Saber Ground Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Saber Ground Stretch?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What would it be like? Anyone like the idea?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think saber grinds are pretty under appreciated and a lot more useful than most people give them credit for.

That said, I prefer saber grinds on heavier knives (like the Endura and Manix, both of which I prefer to the FFG versions). I'm not sure if the Stretch is the right platform for a saber grind.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

No like, here. Saber hollow on 2mm stock? I'm good with that. Regular saber? Not interested, ever. There's always an exception, though. If you offered to give me the real, honest-to-god Excalibur and it had a saber grind, I would happily accept it. ;)

Gordon
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I consider the Stretch more of an aficionado model, similar to the Caly. Maybe I'm wrong but if anything I think most people would want a more fine tip and even a thinner grind than current.

Edit: duplicate typing
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd like a high flat grind one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I'm in agreement with Blerv. The Stretch is supposed to be a high-performance cutting tool, so a saber grind would really defeat the purpose of it's design.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I see no benefit in making Stretch cut any worse. Indeed, I'd much rather go towards leaner grinds than thicker. It's rather easy to apply a more obtuse microbevel to a leaner grind, should you run into problems, as compared to thinning a thick blade without a belt grinder or similar mechanical aid. Sure you can eat away steel with say xxc DMT benchstone ( I have one and have used it for the purpose), but getting aesthetic results is an other matter altogether...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not so sure about a saber grind version with such a thin blade. Now a leaf blade Stretch, that would be something.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zero interest in a saber ground Stretch, but I'd be ecstatic if Spyderco made a full flat ground one with a 2mm thick blade and a near zero edge grind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

The Deacon wrote:Zero interest in a saber ground Stretch, but I'd be ecstatic if Spyderco made a full flat ground one with a 2mm thick blade and a near zero edge grind.
I think I just wet myself ...

Gordon
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I would rather have a FFG and super-thin blade stock than anything else, ever, at least on a folding knife. I love the stretch for its cutting performance, and I would not like something that would lessen that.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I'm always in for more variations of the Stretch! If the Enduras/Delicas have both grinds, why not the Stretch? I also like sabre grinds on my knives not specifically devoted to kitchen work! :D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Deacon wrote:Zero interest in a saber ground Stretch, but I'd be ecstatic if Spyderco made a full flat ground one with a 2mm thick blade and a near zero edge grind.
+1 with a double on the Zero interest. I'd like to have one of my user Stretches reground thinner.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
araneae

Post by araneae »

Zero interest. Its good as it is.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal