Your Three Favorite FRN Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Hard to chose, but I guess I would go with:
Stretch in VG-10
Native 1
Centofante 3
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

nirvanero wrote:I've never heard before, what's the story of this knive?
RealKnifeUser wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, this is very interesting. Deacon - I too would love to hear the story behind the ZDP stretch marked VG-10, did you get it at the VG-10 price? That sounds like a very interesting mix up
Back when the FRN Stretch was first announced, Spyderco wanted to have both the ZDP-189 and VG-10 versions for display at shows. Building an FRN/ZDP-189 display piece was easy, since the CF/ZDP-189 Stretch was in production at that time and used the same blade and lockbar as the FRN version. However, the blade from the older SS/VG-10 Stretch was not interchangeable with the newer versions and the new ones had not yet been produced. So, to create a black FRN/VG-10 for display they had a couple ZDP-189 blades intentionally marked VG-10. Sal sent me one of those as a gift, for a photo shoot and "extended testing". and I've been testing it, on and off, ever since. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Don't have many FRN knives, but I love them all: Stretch VG10, Stretch ZDP-189(Green), Native(Black and Brown), Delica4(Brown), Endura Emerson(black)! Tops goes to the Stretches and Natives! :)
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

The Deacon wrote:Back when the FRN Stretch was first announced, Spyderco wanted to have both the ZDP-189 and VG-10 versions for display at shows. Building an FRN/ZDP-189 display piece was easy, since the CF/ZDP-189 Stretch was in production at that time and used the same blade and lockbar as the FRN version. However, the blade from the older SS/VG-10 Stretch was not interchangeable with the newer versions and the new ones had not yet been produced. So, to create a black FRN/VG-10 for display they had a couple ZDP-189 blades intentionally marked VG-10. Sal sent me one of those as a gift, for a photo shoot and "extended testing". and I've been testing it, on and off, ever since. :)
Cool... thanks for sharing!

My top three:

- Endura ZDP-189
- Manix2 LW (FRCP)
- Stretch (blue) ZDP-189

Special mention goes to Meerkat and Lil' Matriarch.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My favorites:
1- Delica: the one that started it all (it= my spyderco infatuation)
2- Warrior: just had to snag this one for its complete beauty, don't think I'll use this one much but it's a piece of steel art
3- Aqua Salt: perfect ergos/balance and an awesome blade shape, so sorry this one was disco'd

Love the bi-directional texture!
Holland

Post by Holland »

dragonfly ZDP189
caly jr
ladybug salt hawkbill
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:Blue has never been one of my favored colors but I love that shade for some reason.
Amazing... that is exactly the way I feel (anti-blue knife gene?). I wish they'd bring back that color so I could like a blue knife. I saw the dark blue stretch advertised on Rakutan last year and figured it was a screwup because they had a picture of a Centofante 3 with the ad blurb. But on the off chance that they might really have a blue Stretch -- people might have avoided it or not noticed it because of the wrong pic -- I ordered it. They sent me the BRG ZDP one :( . I sent it back because I already had one.

Edit: Oh yes, my faves so far:

Brown CTS-XHP Native
Brown Delica
Foliage Green saber ground PS Delica
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Burgundy Caly Jr
Brown XHP Native
Yellow Salt-1
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Jess Horn burgundy FRN
Michael Walker Lwt black FRN
Native Lwt Black FRN
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]