Heads up, PM2 sprint C81CFPE2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

jalcon wrote:So this dealer that told you that they would be available for sale on the 28th said they would be selling them at full MSRP?
Yes, $1069.95 :D Just kidding......$469.95
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

One good thing about not being able to acquire this particular knife, is that I will have money for the next two or three. :D

Tom
cckw

Post by cckw »

So did Howes sell their two, or did they start this shipstorm then take their two home? :) Gotta say when JBL, Extron or etc sends letters to dealers we keep them confidential.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Yeah, I'd love one or two, too...not gonna happen. Also today something I'd been looking for for more than a decade came and went because I just couldn't bring myself to get into the middle of a completely irrational grudge bidding match between two guys - oh well... Just gotta shrug. :o
FCM415 wrote:Cool, I'm already cheering up thanks :)

Regarding the assumption that Spyderco knew what is going on, it isn't an insinuation (not even mildly, speaking for myself) that they have a sinister plot to control the market or anything. Taken word for word, they know what's going on (they have a board, they are smart) but they chose not to address the high potential for this. It's on paper, I didn't make it up, they said it best "I'm confident that you'll have no problem selling through these or keeping them for your own collection". For one reason or another, it's a very special run. It's not the end of the world, plenty other great Spydercos to keep us busy. I've been waiting for something like this and would have loved to get one though... Or two ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Hey, there are still Bushcraft blanks left. :) Nice knife...making nice wood handles is relaxing, takes your mind off of other things, yields great satisfaction... :) Am I simple-minded? No, but I'm trying very hard to be. :)
FCM415 wrote:Cool, I'm already cheering up thanks :)

Regarding the assumption that Spyderco knew what is going on, it isn't an insinuation (not even mildly, speaking for myself) that they have a sinister plot to control the market or anything. Taken word for word, they know what's going on (they have a board, they are smart) but they chose not to address the high potential for this. It's on paper, I didn't make it up, they said it best "I'm confident that you'll have no problem selling through these or keeping them for your own collection". For one reason or another, it's a very special run. It's not the end of the world, plenty other great Spydercos to keep us busy. I've been waiting for something like this and would have loved to get one though... Or two ;)
Tdog wrote:Thank you, it is just a knife......I'm sure a very nice Spydie :D Gonna have to get amused by going back and reading the previous posts in this thread.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Is it confirmed this is fluted CF?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Any guesses to what these will go for on ...da bay? Lol. I'm saying $600 at very least. There are people out there that need to have all of the PM2s.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

I'm still on the list for the next run of green PM2's. Would be my first PM2. At first I thought, this would make for a cool first PM2, but after 9 pages of reading, I guess not. :)

Personally, I have no problems with Spyderco "rewarding" their dealers with something nice. I just kind of wish I was one of those dealers!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Strong-Dog wrote:Is it confirmed this is fluted CF?
No, several posts back claim it to be the same type basically used on the last CF version.

Been thinking about this, the timing of the Amsterdam meet, etc and I have some sneaking suspicion that they will soon release another PM2 version in many more numbers very soon. Sal doesn't strike me as a cruel person as some are making it seem by having such a small number of these CPM 154 crossbreeds, but rather is holding off with perhaps something even better in his sleeve, like the fluted CF version (S110V or K390 anyone?). Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I guess I have faith and hope for something even better than this limited run.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

cckw wrote:So did Howes sell their two, or did they start this shipstorm then take their two home? :) Gotta say when JBL, Extron or etc sends letters to dealers we keep them confidential.
Their website has been updated and it now says SOLD.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think this thread could take years off of the lives of some members. Best of luck to all, if we ever see one go live.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that this knife is actually meant to be flipper-bait? It's setup with a price and an air of exclusivity that no sane person would pay except a flipper. Any chance there is actually a big run coming after this "exclusive" one that is meant to tank the reselling price and stick it to the flippers?
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Their website has been updated and it now says SOLD.
Everything in their catalog that had a price of "$0" now says SOLD too. It's not specific to this one.
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Shakyamuni wrote:Everything in their catalog that had a price of "$0" now says SOLD too. It's not specific to this one.
The PM2CF showed as sold first, much to my surprise! I was checking the site all day as often as I could, never saw anything for sale, then SOLD. Oh Well
Donut

Post by Donut »

JNewell wrote:Also today something I'd been looking for for more than a decade came and went because I just couldn't bring myself to get into the middle of a completely irrational grudge bidding match between two guys - oh well...
So probably not a knife and probably not anything I would have.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Just a few random thoughts about this, not intended to reflect on anything anybody has said, and limited by my lack of general info plus the fact that I haven't read the other thread yet, so correct me if I'm wrong:

This is the first time I've heard of any kind of laminate like this outside of Japanese steels, so it looks like a pretty big plunge. I think they did a small run just to see how it would work out, to make sure any changes in manufacturing procedures were going to work out OK, that the steel would work out OK during production, and so forth. I think they have to base their price on their actual production costs for every run, including these experimental short runs, and thus put it into a premium knife so the CC and Premier Club members would feel like they were getting thieir money's worth. After all, these members have to buy every knife produced (the CC at least -- I'm not familiar with the PC, but expect it's something like the CC only without numbers and accounts for some of early numberless knives I've seen for sale before runs were released at stores). And I think this also accounts for the statement that they would be able to get their money back out of them if they didn't want to keep their CC or PC knives.

I do think this was pretty much a test run maybe both in terms of manufacturing problems, like making sure the middle layer is well centered, etc, and reception by the public, and I think that's adequate reason for making it a small run. I think they have to do a lot of what they do for reasons other than just pandering or catering to afis. I think we tend to be a bit egocentric in this regard. Apparently they were favorably impressed by the way the run worked, since they've already planned to make more.

I can't think of any functional advantage for end users of the laminate over solid S90V, so I suspect it must be either cheaper or easier to produce, which would be great and redound to the end users (to use a fancy 6-bit word :p ).

I don't really know how this will affect the knife's long term value to collectors, since others will probably be made later on, but I'd really love to have one, even though I'm not a huge fan of CF or S90V yet (I know this is blasphemy, and it'll probably change in time) just because I'd know it was one of the first runs of a new technique, but it ain't gonna happen, because I don't have the money.

As far as rarity of this run for buying purposes, I think it'll be exactly like the sale of CCs and PCs of similarly priced knives, based on how much the usual CC and PC members, some of which are dealers, want to hold onto their knives. Oh yeah, they said there weren't enough for the usual number of Premier Club knives, so they'll be even rarer than that.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Unfortunately, some people will inevitably be upset when they can't get what they want, but looks like a nice treat for Spyderco's dealers and collectors. The further these knives venture into the high end market, with better f&f, materials, lower quantities, the more competitive the buying will become and price will naturally follow.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This is easy for me to say, because I don't regard myself as a collector (maybe a collector :D ), but the only people that I think should be sweating bullets right now are the ones who really, really want to own a complete collection of PM2 sprints and exclusives. That doesn't seem like an unduly extravagant ambition, but seems a bit more difficult at this point :( .
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

You win some, you lose some. It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. Spyderco does it pretty well ;)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Shakyamuni wrote:Does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that this knife is actually meant to be flipper-bait? It's setup with a price and an air of exclusivity that no sane person would pay except a flipper. Any chance there is actually a big run coming after this "exclusive" one that is meant to tank the reselling price and stick it to the flippers?
Yeah, Spyderco's well known for that kind of thing. They talk one game in public but have no integrity and secretly seek to facilitate speculative abuse that harms ordinary customers every chance they get. Thanks for pointing that out.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(The post above is pure irony, in case it's not obvious.)