What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bornagainprimative
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby bornagainprimative » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 pm

So I am not a huge collector mostly user of knives. Right now I EDC a blackhawk crucible ii folder which Has served me we'll for the last two years of extremely hard use. I do have a hard time keeping it sharp and it's a little heavy for what I'd like for EDC now.

I work in an electronics warehouse and cut a huge amount of card board. I have been spyderco fan for a long time I just never got around to buying one.

Now I want something new and I am having a hard time picking just one and which steel to go with(superblue).

Btw did Sal design the delica or endura? That would definitely make me want one of them even more.

Thanks

APS
Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby APS » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:24 pm

They were both introduced in 1990 but I think the Endura was the parent and Delica the child design.
Adam

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9367
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Postby Donut » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Judging by the model number of the Endura being C10 and Delica being C11, I believe Endura was designed or designated first. I believe they were both designed by Sal.

I agree with APS that they were probably released at the same time.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
RadioactiveSpyder
Member
Posts: 3979
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 pm
Location: Lost in space

Postby RadioactiveSpyder » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Good point Brian and an interesting question... :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King

bornagainprimative
Member
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 am
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada

Postby bornagainprimative » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:15 pm

We'll I am going to order myself an Endura 4 in brown.


Can't wait to finally have a spyderco

Freman
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 2:21 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Postby Freman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:23 pm

If you want to keep cutting cardboard I suggest grabbing the ZDP-189 Delica. You'll want diamonds for sharpening but I can't see it going dull for a very very long time.

David from NC
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:40 am
Location: NC High Country

Postby David from NC » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:42 am

bornagainprimative wrote:We'll I am going to order myself an Endura 4 in brown.


Can't wait to finally have a spyderco
The UPS Commemorative Edition, I see... :D
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8585
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Postby xceptnl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:39 am

David from NC wrote:The UPS Commemorative Edition, I see... :D
Ha ha ha! :D
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
markg
Member
Posts: 2148
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Ohio

Postby markg » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:28 pm

bornagainprimative wrote:
Btw did Sal design the delica or endura? That would definitely make me want one of them even more.

Thanks
You do know the metal handled Clip-It line (Worker, Mariner, Co-Pilot, Police, etc.) came out before the Endura and Delica (if that matters).

I had to have one of the first few Enduras that came out, I got it in 1990 after I saw the ad in "Fighting Knives Magazine" and purchased it at Cutlery World at the mall... Ah good times.

Am I showing my age? ;)

User avatar
glbpro
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby glbpro » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Does anyone know if the Endura was derived from the Police model? They seem very similar but I know that for Sal every knife is treated as a new design.

Also, were the Endura and Delica lightweights from the beginning, or did they begin in stainless steel or G10?

User avatar
glbpro
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby glbpro » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Duplicate post deleted.

User avatar
aquaman67
Member
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby aquaman67 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 pm

glbpro wrote:Does anyone know if the Endura was derived from the Police model? They seem very similar but I know that for Sal every knife is treated as a new design.

Also, were the Endura and Delica lightweights from the beginning, or did they begin in stainless steel or G10?
Sal answers about half way down.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 1&p=838730

User avatar
glbpro
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby glbpro » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:43 am

aquaman67 wrote:Sal answers about half way down.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 1&p=838730
Thanks for the link, very informative. However this does not answer my first question as to whether the Endura design was derived from the police model. This information is not on the Spyderwiki page either.

Shall await further replies :)

yablanowitz
Member
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Liberal, Kansas

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby yablanowitz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 am

Define "derived from". The Police Model came before the Endura, so everything learned from it influenced everything that came after. The same can be said of the C01 Worker. The Police has never been offered in FRN, the Endura was introduced in FRN.

User avatar
glbpro
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby glbpro » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:55 am

yablanowitz wrote:Define "derived from". The Police Model came before the Endura, so everything learned from it influenced everything that came after.
Good question, I should have been more precise. What I mean to ask is do they exhibit a parent/child design relationship. So for example, the Delica is basically a compact Endura, and the Persistence is a compact Tenacious. Could the Endura be considered a more economical or lighter evolution of the police?

yablanowitz
Member
Posts: 5261
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Liberal, Kansas

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby yablanowitz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:41 pm

I would say not really. There are as many differences as there are similarities between the Police and the Endura, especially when you go back to the originals. They were designed by the same person for somewhat similar purposes, but it wasn't a case of "Let's take the Police and change it to make it a little shorter, lighter and cheaper." It was more "We're going to design a new knife. There are a lot of places where the Police is over the legal limit, so this one will have a blade under 4". The swedge on the tip of the Police and Worker has sometimes been misconstrued to be a double edge, so we'll leave that off. With no swedge to cover, we can change the shape of the handle. But the real kicker here is we are going to mold the handle from Zytel. The set up cost is going to be a lot higher, but if it works we can offer it at a lower price point, which should appeal to a wider market."

User avatar
Knutty
Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:58 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re:

Postby Knutty » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:07 pm

Freman wrote:If you want to keep cutting cardboard I suggest grabbing the ZDP-189 Delica. You'll want diamonds for sharpening but I can't see it going dull for a very very long time.
Just make sure that cardboard doesn't have staples in it!

Bill1170
Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: San Diego North County

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby Bill1170 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:49 pm

yablanowitz wrote:I would say not really. There are as many differences as there are similarities between the Police and the Endura, especially when you go back to the originals. They were designed by the same person for somewhat similar purposes, but it wasn't a case of "Let's take the Police and change it to make it a little shorter, lighter and cheaper." It was more "We're going to design a new knife. There are a lot of places where the Police is over the legal limit, so this one will have a blade under 4". The swedge on the tip of the Police and Worker has sometimes been misconstrued to be a double edge, so we'll leave that off. With no swedge to cover, we can change the shape of the handle. But the real kicker here is we are going to mold the handle from Zytel. The set up cost is going to be a lot higher, but if it works we can offer it at a lower price point, which should appeal to a wider market."
That there is a great answer. Respect to Yablanowitz.

User avatar
glbpro
Member
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:26 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: What came first the Endura or the Delica?

Postby glbpro » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:05 am

yablanowitz wrote:I would say not really. There are as many differences as there are similarities between the Police and the Endura, especially when you go back to the originals. They were designed by the same person for somewhat similar purposes, but it wasn't a case of "Let's take the Police and change it to make it a little shorter, lighter and cheaper." It was more "We're going to design a new knife. There are a lot of places where the Police is over the legal limit, so this one will have a blade under 4". The swedge on the tip of the Police and Worker has sometimes been misconstrued to be a double edge, so we'll leave that off. With no swedge to cover, we can change the shape of the handle. But the real kicker here is we are going to mold the handle from Zytel. The set up cost is going to be a lot higher, but if it works we can offer it at a lower price point, which should appeal to a wider market."
Makes sense to me! Thanks for the edge-ucation :)


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abiggs, bayouace, Bing [Bot], Centerconsole7.5, funguy, Google [Bot], GrandallK, MFlovejp, Oloung1, Rp5, ryxlyx, The Deacon, Wartstein and 57 guests