3 Spydies that you really wanted to like but didn't in the end

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
glbpro

3 Spydies that you really wanted to like but didn't in the end

Post by glbpro »

Greetings everyone :)

Thought this might be an interesting subject to discuss, as it bears on my recent experience with the models below. Please bear in mind that this is my personal take on and experience with these knives and does not in any way indicate an inferior design, nor is it a criticism of those who own and love these models.

1. Spyderco Junior C150G
Really wanted to make this my next Spydie after reading and watching all of the positive reviews on the net and here on this forum.
Unfortunately, after handling the knife quite thoroughly on several occasions in my local SpydieShop, I came to the conclusion that it is just too small for my hands. Also, I do not like the fact that the compression lock on this knife behaves in a different way to that on my PM2 - this knife uses nylon washers that are relatively thick and as such when the lock is released the blade does not fall freely, even when the knife is shaken. I am well aware that this is part of the design, as indicated by the designer himself on this forum - in the interests of safety for young knife users, he stated that this knife is meant to be a 'one hand opener, but two hands closer.'

2. Spyderco Jason Breeden Rescue C139G
Really liked the look of this knife and Jason's unique approach to design as epitomised by the Captain and then this knife. Also liked the fact that the liner lock was well-designed and easy to release and the smooth action of the blade.
Unfortunately, I didn't find the handle to be that comfortable, in contrast to many who have reviewed this knife - for some reason the choils didn't fit my fingers and they didn't feel comfortable in either the standard or choked up grip. I also didn't like the thickness of the blade near the point and how the hump there stuck out into space when the knife was closed.

3. Spyderco Starmate C55G
Again, loved the fact that this knife is a reissue of Spyderco's first ever collaboration with a designer and the thickness of the blade. Unfortunately both of the examples I looked at had that awful rough unfinished spot at the base of the blade which just didn't make any sense considering the quality of the rest of the piece. I also didn't like the thinness of the G10 slabs. Normally thin = light which is good but in this case they just seemed too thin to match the beefiness of the rest of the piece. Also didn't like the relatively small Spyder hole.

Look forward to hearing from others on their similar experiences.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

G10 Dragonfly - nothing wrong with it, I just never liked it as much as the FRN version.

Dodo - great funky design, but just too short and specialized blade shape for my needs.

Breeden Rescue - I carry it sometimes, but I prefer a point for pierce cutting packages etc.

PS: I normally carry only one Spyderco at a time, so I prefer the all-rounders. Maybe I need to carry multiples...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Millie, Forum Native, Sage1!!! All too clunky for me!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Revival

Post by Revival »

Domino - Felt weird in my hand
Caly 3 - Blade seemed too short even though it was comfortable in the hand
Dragonfly G-10 - I just didnt like how this one felt. I love the Dragonfly but much prefer the FRN versions.

I traded each knife immediately after getting them. Not long after taking these knives out of the box, I knew it wasnt for me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Junior, Native 5, Delica/Endura.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Domino, Chaparral and GB Air.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I only included knives I actually own as it demonstrates how much I wanted to like them. Have kept them even though they are rarely used.

Endura - just doesn't fit my hand which is strange as the very similar delica handle is quite comfortable.

GB - whats not to like, steel, materials, quality. Unfortunately I just can't get a comfortable grip on this knife. I keep going back to it and it keeps going back into a drawer.

Sage 3 - The wider handle and altered blade shape in comparison to the others throws me off. Love the color and the lock.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am drawing a complete blank. I can't think of a single model I have purchased that I don't like. Most of the spydies I buy, I know I love it before I purchase. The ones I am not sure I will like, often do not get purchased. I am currently on the fence about the Szabo, Navaja, Vallotton, Des Horn, and Zulu just to name a few.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

xceptnl wrote:I am drawing a complete blank. I can't think of a single model I have purchased that I don't like. Most of the spydies I buy, I know I love it before I purchase. The ones I am not sure I will like, often do not get purchased. I am currently on the fence about the Szabo, Navaja, Vallotton, Des Horn, and Zulu just to name a few.
I could clarify my post to say the ones that I listed I actually did like a little, but I didn't like them well enough to keep them. The Zulu is one I have now that I bounce back and forth between loving it and wanting to sell it.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

1. SPOT-
My first Spydie fixed edge, my first neck knife.
It's also going to be my last Spydie fixed edge and my last neck knife.
I wanted to love the concept- but it gave me about the same cutting edge as a Meerkat with a bit more handle, now with the balls-ache of having something clattering about under my clothes (digging in under my ribcage when I moved against desks etc) or swinging about my clothing on the outside like a 1970s 'medallion man' thing- meaning it's never quite where I wanted it to be when I grabbed for it....When I'm ALWAYS wearing trousers with pockets?- No advantage.
It's just Spydercos are ALL about the folder for me- While I'm sure that Spyderco's fixed edge knives are excellent in every regard, they just lose a bit of the 'soul' of what I love about them: something intangable.

2.Centofante C50.
Again, a very slick gentleman's knife in shape.
The ergonomics were a bit too 'non-Spydie' for my liking and deployment was sometimes hit 'n' miss due to fat thumb vs small Spyderhole access in the handle.
But I have a rabid- nay insane dislike of secondary locking mechanisms, since battling with CRKT's various iterations of LAWKs. It's the 'Victorian' engineer in me: Just design one bloody locking or safety mechanism.
One.
Then make it as solid, reliable and obvious as possible. If someone feels they need more safety mechanisms than one that works right, take the product off them and hand them a plush toy and a sit them at the kiddie table. [/Soapbox] ;)

3.Cricket
I've got user stainless steel version with the reverse S serrated edge and I struggle to see what it's for
The handle is way too slim for my fat mitts which combined with the edge and the size of the whole package seems to be a bit at odds.
I just can't love it.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
araneae

Post by araneae »

Persian- just doesn't do it for me. That is probably the only real disappointment for me. The Native 5 didn't wow me like I wanted it too, but its still carried occasionally.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

1. Kind of strange, but the Military is on this list. It is a great knife, but it is just too big for most of my uses.

2. Native5 Ti Fluted - I love the look, and I love Ti, but the square sharp edges of the handles just don't do it for me.

3. Lightweight Manix - I've always been on the fence WRT the Manix. The blue doesn't bother me, but It just doesn't seem to work with my hands and all the jimping bothers me. I was eager to try the lightweight version, but it didn't make it any better of a fit for me. And the BD1 steel is a downgrade...

TedP
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

1. Kind of strange, but the Military is on this list. It is a great knife, but it is just too big for most of my uses.

2. Native5 Ti Fluted - I love the look, and I love Ti, but the square sharp edges of the handles just don't do it for me.

3. Lightweight Manix - I've always been on the fence WRT the Manix. The blue doesn't bother me, but It just doesn't seem to work with my hands and all the jimping bothers me. I was eager to try the lightweight version, but it didn't make it any better of a fit for me. And the BD1 steel is a downgrade...

TedP
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

1. Junior - I even modded the blade, but still can't stand that big *** choil deal. I just can't get a comfortable grip. Sorry, Dialex - no offense - just not for me.

2. SS Dfly - The clip is too far forward to get a grip when opening, otherwise I'd love it.

3. Manixes - big and small - They weigh a ton. Wish I never bought them. I don't use them at all.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

Vallotton: Was excited to get it in hand but found the protruding lock tab uncomfortable!

Junior: Just don't like the ergos on this one.

Can't think of a third! :)
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

1. Hungarian - love everything about this knife except the fact that the lock is difficult to disengage. I understand the design logic of why there isn't a cut out in the opposite scale (even a small one) but I think the design aesthetic took preference over the functionality and that really is a shame. It's in a box at the back of the knife drawer, it comes out when I feel like scraping skin off the pad of my thumb.

2. Stretch - Ergos just don't work for me. I think it is the distance (hight) between the index finger and thumb when using the choil, prefer an Endura or a Caly 3.5

3. Junior - Something in the ergos just didn't work for me. I've never been able to identify what. I really wanted to like that knife particularly after I put orange scales on it and the lock action was a lot smoother after disassembly.

Jury still out on the Breeden Rescue (lock disengagement and the false edge).

I think it is fair to add the really pleasant surprises as well though : Large Lum Chinese (just works for me so much better than the smaller version. If it wasn't so big in pocket it would get a LOT more carry time), Caly 3.5 (everything just works for me even with the choil) and the new version Starmate (I was expecting not to like it after the issues with the fit and finish and bleating about the price (myself included) but this is a great knife - maybe not perfect F&F but substantially better than some of the other non Spyderco "hard use" knives at a similar price point)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only problem with the Junior is the point is too high on the blade for my uses, and the handle is too small. If just the handle were bigger, I'd probably be carrying one today because I can live with the rest.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nccole

Post by nccole »

1. Dragonfly, just don't care for the ergos too much
2. Native, again the ergos are just wrong for me (at least on the FRN). With my index finger in the choil, my middle finger can not find a comfortable place to go.
3. Southard, I do like this knife, but I wanted to love this knife. The blade is just too thick, and the ergos are just okay.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Dodo - grip didn't fit my hand the way I had hoped.

Gayle Bradley - (this is a questionable one because i actually love the knife) blade shape just doesn't meet my usage requirements.

Aqua Salt - I just prefer my salt folders.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Intriguing question.

My three are the Sage 4, the Techno, and the Southard Folder.

But I have no buyer's remorse. If I had only one Spydie and it was one of these, I'd be content. And even if I wasn't, I would need to remind myself that it took me a year and a half to embrace to my first Para Military 2 (too stabby a look), and that I turned cold on my Manix2s (pocket-hogging and heavy jimping) for a year before warming up to them again.

I just don't prefer the heft and sharpish handle of the Sage4 (which I bought to keep up with the series); the RIL and short cutting edge of the Techno (which I bought in a discovery frame-of-mind); or the RIL and Spyderhole-contrary flipper of the Southard (which I bought also in a discovery frame-of mind).

Having pretty much found sweet spots for my daily carry needs, I buy now largely to keep up with a series or to discover new materials/ideas...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”