How many of you love your Ulize?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Irelander

How many of you love your Ulize?

Post by Irelander »

I have had my Ulize for a little over a year now and have carried it faithfully every day. I have to say that it is the sweetest knife I have ever owned. The grip shape and blade profile are so unique and beautiful yet very utilitarian. I carry it mostly for defensive purposes and gladly have not had to use it as such but I have used it for general utility and for cutting food as well. I bought the Sharpmaker to keep it nice and sharp too.

Who else here has love for the Ulize?

RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I do. It was my first Spydie, first nice folder, and I got it along with a sharpmaker. I used it extensively for everything from opening packages, cardboard, clearing brush and brambles, food prep, cleaning small game (rabbit and squirrel), and other things. Its out of comission right now due to a rookie attempt at disassembly and cleaning :rolleyes: I do love that knife though, its WAAAAAY MORE VERSATILE than some may think.

-Ryan
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Love mine. I carried it until it got too dull for my liking and haven't carried it since because I have no way of sharpening that deep of a recurve. Once I either get a Sharpmaker or work out something on my Edge Pro, it'll be back into rotation. It has one of my favorite grip feelings of any knife I own...very nice ergonomics on this one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Evil D wrote:Love mine. I carried it until it got too dull for my liking and haven't carried it since because I have no way of sharpening that deep of a recurve. Once I either get a Sharpmaker or work out something on my Edge Pro, it'll be back into rotation. It has one of my favorite grip feelings of any knife I own...very nice ergonomics on this one.
Sandpaper + Dowel
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I have one. Love it. Haven't used it for much but I don't have a good reason as to why. I should rectify that.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

RealKnifeUser,
Wow! You have used your Ulize for a lot more tasks than me. I'd love to see a picture of your well used Ulize.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like mine a lot. But, haven't carried or used it much. Just too many knives and not enough pockets. I hope to eventually give it some pocket time and do a video review on it.
:bug-red-white
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

On the way home from work, Dr. appointment at 4:40, then its home to take pics and post!
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don't have one and most likely never will, but I sure do admire its graceful lines.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:Love mine. I carried it until it got too dull for my liking and haven't carried it since because I have no way of sharpening that deep of a recurve. Once I either get a Sharpmaker or work out something on my Edge Pro, it'll be back into rotation. It has one of my favorite grip feelings of any knife I own...very nice ergonomics on this one.
Can't you get the "half round" 1/2"x6" stones from Congress Tool? It's $5.15 for 400 grit. (It seems like they get more expensive as you get finer.) I'm pretty sure I've seen people talking about attaching Congress Tool stones to the Edge Pro.

*link* http://www.congresstools.com/catalog/ca ... ory/?id=27

It's all the way at the bottom.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Just got mine. So far, just playing around with it, I really like it. It has a nice hand feel and I really like the blade shape. Time will tell...
Mike
RealKnifeUser

Pics Upon Request

Post by RealKnifeUser »

[ATTACH]23312[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23313[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23314[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23315[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23316[/ATTACH]

The in-hand picture is illustrating my preferred grip for the brush/brambles type stuff, usually happens while fishing. Come to think of it, the knife was used to clean trout a few times over the summer as well. Feel free to make fun of the missing screws haha I have them all and would re-assemble it if the pivot screw wasn't shorn off inside the pivot. Not the knife's fault at all, I take full responsibility.

Edit: This knife may seem too big or unwieldy for EDC but I would not say that at all. In fact it carries VERY well for it's size. It was the only knife I carried for 6-7 months and I really had no gripes other than the fact that some of my NKP friends were not big fans of it, understandably. I also found the sweeping recurve and thin hollow grind to be excellent at any meat-related tasks.
Attachments
ULIZE_0009 FS.jpg
ULIZE_0006 FS.jpg
ULIZE_0003 FS.jpg
ULIZE_0002 FS.jpg
ULIZE_0001.jpg
- Miguel de Unamuno

RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I'll admit it has a certain look about it but can't see me owning one. It's too big, I stay away from recurves because they are next to impossible to sharpen and I don't like hollow grind.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

The Ulize is another one of those Spydercos that I really wanted to love but didn't once I had handled it. Such a beautiful looking knife! Unfortunately when I had it in hand, I found it quite hard to open because of the very long blade and the relatively small Spyder hole. The example I looked also had a rather loose blade and quite a bit of blade play - both completely adjustable I know, but I don't think this should be the case when new. I also didn't like the skinniness of the handle - I have quite large hands and in this sized knife prefer a bit more thickness a la military or Benchmade 710.

As such I shall continue to appreciate this knife from a distance. Glad you like yours :)
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:I have no way of sharpening that deep of a recurve.
Donut wrote:Can't you get the "half round" 1/2"x6" stones from Congress Tool?
It's all the way at the bottom.
My thoughts exactly. But I wouldn't go with moldmaster all way to higher grits, even with 600 it is fairly rough. Flex will give you better finish, if you care. Actually, considering that you sharpening VG10 Ruby will remove stock faster than moldmaster. Congress has a lot of good staff. Plus they are local for me :) . I was stopping by on my way home from work to pick-up their stones. Nice people too.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

After using it I agree with glbpro, the spydie hole is just too small. But I still like it.
Mike
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

My Sharpmaker sharpened my Ulized without a problem. You just have to use the points of the tri-stones instead of the flats.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I should mention that I love mine and have carried it a number of times, but it doesn't see as much use as it should.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

It is on my short list of "have to buy".
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I stay away from recurves because they are next to impossible to sharpen and I don't like hollow grind.
Hmmmmm, they definitely aren't..... Sharp maker works nicely