Southard lanyard hole, tube or no tube?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peter469

Southard lanyard hole, tube or no tube?

Post by peter469 »

I have two Southard flippers, one with tubing in the lanyard hole and one without. I've browsed the web and it seems that some have the tube and some don't. Was there a change in production or have some people removed it (the previous owner to mine included)?
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I'd guess it was removed by the previous owner. A production change doesn't make much sense to me.
peter469

Post by peter469 »

That was my first thought, but according to google there are quite a few out there without tubes. Enough to make me doubt my initial guess.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I would assume the tube was taken out by the previous owner. I bought my most recent Southard around X-mas and it had the lanyard tube (which I removed a few days ago).
nccole

Post by nccole »

I removed mine. It does nothing structurally like the Military and PM2. A lot of guys remove it especially on examples with custom scales, or custom clips.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only thought on removing it is the potential to cut your lanyard if you use one, though it's probably unlikely. If I ever have a need to take mine apart I'm removing the tube. I don't care for how it looks all bunched up with the pillars.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
peter469

Post by peter469 »

I agree, it looks better without it
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Took mine out as well. Open design should be simple, the tube adds clutter.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

When I dyed my scale black, I put the lanyard tube back in. It now has a light rattle to it from the tube shifting around, that may be why some took theirs out (aside from the stark beauty of not having it installed), and may certainly be the reason mine might not have one for too much longer. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Well, only took about 10 min after writing my last post that I pulled the tube out of my Southard. Nice and quiet now, thanks guys! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:When I dyed my scale black, I put the lanyard tube back in. It now has a light rattle to it from the tube shifting around, that may be why some took theirs out (aside from the stark beauty of not having it installed), and may certainly be the reason mine might not have one for too much longer. :)
Yup, mine developed a rattle, and that's why I took it out.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Mine is there, but I'm going to make some custom scales this year and when I do, the tube is getting the boot, as I don't intend to even drill a lanyard hole in the new scales.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Holland

Post by Holland »

I think it looks better without, but I would leave mine in for the off chance I put a lanyard on it
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE