Native Love Anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bighaze51

Native Love Anyone?

Post by Bighaze51 »

So I've been in the hospital pretty much all week. I'm a proud father of a chunky baby boy. I had a lot of time to basically cruise through knife forums and look at reviews, pictures, mods and all that. But I think I fell back in love with my Native while I was there. It's a sweet little knife. I love the FFN handle and S30v is a sweet steel. I sharpened it up on my razor bones last night and she is screaming sharp now. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but I just wanted to share. Anyone else love there native? :)
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Congrats on your new baby, I love my native, maybe actually too much as I never hard use it.
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
Revival

Post by Revival »

Congrats on the new baby boy and welcome to the forums! I too love my native.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A hearty congrats on your new son (I have a 1.5 yr old son, watch out!) and welcome to the forums. You should get your son his first Spydie to commemorate this special day! As for Native love, how's about this?

I'm not so much of a fan of the FRN versions versus the G10/Ti models. I m eagerly awaiting the FRCP Native 5, though. To me the N5 is much smoother and more comfortable looking than the older FRN versions. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Radioactive...I do feel the native love, but what's the deal with no CTS-XHP. I can see you have a love for the FFG Native, but I think the brown XHP native is a beauty and could be my favorite of the family. Of course this is the only one I own ATM; I let my forum native go as I could not warm up to the checkered green G-10 or the blade markings. (just my preference, I know this is probably a fantastic knife).
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:A hearty congrats on your new son (I have a 1.5 yr old son, watch out!) and welcome to the forums. You should get your son his first Spydie to commemorate this special day! As for Native love, how's about this?

I'm not so much of a fan of the FRN versions versus the G10/Ti models. I m eagerly awaiting the FRCP Native 5, though. To me the N5 is much smoother and more comfortable looking than the older FRN versions. Cheers, Radioactive

Drooling!!!! That's a nice collection there. I do think I would be happier with the FFG versions but baby boy will be taking up the extra income. :)
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I have two each of the EDC and Spyderco Forum Natives and love them all! Great size to toss in your pocket on the way out the door. I had an FRN pink one and gave it away because there was a lot of up and down movement when open. Not so much that it effected use, but enough to bother me... I might have just had a bad one. Those brown ones are calling to me!

I am also looking forward to the lightweight version, but might hold out to see what colors they come up with. :)
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

The Native is my main carry. Great ergos, steel, and blade shape. I have way too many Spydies to lean on one knife so much, though with the Native price-point and performance it never leaves my pocket unless out to severe something. S30V is one of the steels that just seems to work for me. I can get it razor sharp every time I put it on the sharpmaker. Congrats on the son and welcome to the forums.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I do love my Natives! I admit, I wish Spyderco would also put the original with VG-10 Steel back into production.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I'm sporting my CTS-XHP brown Native. Love it. S30V is awesome too, I have one of those too. I'd have to disagree on the VG-10 though...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congrats on your baby boy. I am jealous. My baby boy is turning 25 in few month.
Native is a good knife. Fantastic ergos. It was my first Spyderco knife and the first S30V experience. I still have this knife, which I purchased in 2005 for $40 at Walmart, but I love FFG Natives much more and carry at least one of them every day.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I do love my Natives! I admit, I wish Spyderco would also put the original with VG-10 Steel back into production.
FYI,
C41 Native never had VG10. Originally it was GIN1, than CPM-440V and currently S30V. Made in Japan Native3, Native4 and latest batches of SS Native2 had this steel, but to the best of my knowledge C41 never was produced with VG10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Very nice! and congratulations my little girl is getting bigger everyday.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Congratulations on the new Baby Boy. Hope both Mother and Baby are doing fine. I like the Native. In fact I carried an FRN / S30V version for a long time but for me nothing can compare to the Caly 3.5 for an edc knife. The Native is still one of my all time favorite Spyderco's because I think the medium size is best. I think anything smaller than the Dragonfly is too small and knives like the Police Calypso and Manix 2 XL are entirely too big or too long I should say for sitting a lot.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I think I'd like to get one of the G10 models and put fatter handles on it to resemble the Native 3 more. Love how that one filled the hand. Might test drive the G10 for a while first to see as I've never had one, only the BRK version and the 3 I think.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Hey Congratz on your new son!! The Native black blade was my second spyderco and is still my favorite out of all my knives. Nothing beats the quality and durability of a USA made SE s30v knife! Update: Heres a picture: http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/knife ... sort=3&o=2 I figured since Spyderco gives away tan natives to our military I would put it with the Bible my uncle (who's in the Marines) gave me.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

Thanks everyone. He is a good little boy. I'm also enjoying these pictures. Keep them coming!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

no love for the SE Native??
Invective

Post by Invective »

twinboysdad wrote:no love for the SE Native??

It's one of my two natives. I've also got a 2013 Forum Native that saw some whittling today. The SE Native though is one of my most used knives, it is my go-to outdoors work knife. Just this past week I was trimming some ivy in my backyard and the SE Native excelled.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:no love for the SE Native??
Not sure where the love is on the SE. :) However, I'll go out on a limb here and say that maybe the SE version would be more popular if it was featured in FFG. For instance, I like the looks of the FFG SE Ladybug vs. HG SE Ladybug.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Was there ever a FFG SE Ladybug made? I think the Manbug is FFG SE.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!