Spyderco Forum Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jalcon wrote:A pm2 M4 would obviously be a no-brainer and be sold out faster than you could refresh your browser.
I think this is true too, if it didn't interfere too much with the production of regular PM2's and if they're still selling like hotcakes by production time, and if it's in a distinctive color...

...or maybe a Yojimbo2 in M4... :p :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Taz or Sal, do you guys have any ideas on if this could work or how this could work?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

Evil D wrote:
"how about CPM REX 121 with double stone washed Ti bolsters, mammoth ivory scales with platinum bug inlays and neon yellow G10 liners with a sunburst machined Ti frame lock with 6 way wire clip, oh and how about a compound grind hollow/flat on one side with chisel side on the other, partially serrated tanto tip with a wave hook flipper automatic assisted opening bali".
I'm in for this one if it's still a PM2.

:D
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

If I win the lotto or become a millionaire somehow, I will put down the dough. I'm serious. The odds are against us though. :( If it does happen it better be something cool like a M4 charcoal grey G10 Para2 :)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Kickstarter or a similar funding model might be a good idea. Coming up with the cash otherwise might be impossible or impossibly risky.

Trying to reincarnate discontinued models would obviously need careful vetting with Spyderco, but the whole idea would need that anyway.

The last Benchmade forum knife was essentially a joint effort between one of the members and a dealer, and it took forever and was an unbelievable amount of work - sort of a heads-up. :)
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Moonglow PM2 with M4.

Revival

Post by Revival »

Donut wrote:I would like to do it.

I don't think voting will work because we never agree.

Something that is sure to sell like a S90V/G-10 or S110V/G-10 Para 2 or Military might work.

Maybe we could start off with something cheaper, like a ZDP FRN Hawkbill Plain Edge Manbug.
Isn't voting used when people can't agree on things? Majority rules. Plain and simple. If not we will end up with too many opinions. If it's going to be a spyderco forum knife, shouldn't we allow the whole forum to get involved and base it off what majority wants?
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Oh, Dave Chappelle, how I miss you. Thanks for sharing that, jalcon.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

trevitace wrote:Oh, Dave Chappelle, how I miss you. Thanks for sharing that, jalcon.
Hah was that from the Oprah skit?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

If I were to order an exclusive, no reason to beat around the bush. Just schedule a batch of CF S110V Para 2's. How many people wish they had a S90V Para 2? I bet you could order a 800-1,200 piece run and it would be gone in less than 1 week. ****, if I had the money, I'd order it myself and trickle them out 1 at a time on ebay. How about the forum starts a kickstarter fund to fund this knife?
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

jalcon

Post by jalcon »

FCM415 wrote:Hah was that from the Oprah skit?
ROFL, yeah when he gets Oprah knocked up.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What is the cost for an order like that? Does anyone know approximately?

Are we talking 50% of the street price, 75%?

800 knives with a street price of $200, even if you are buying the lot at $100/each is still $80,000 invested to get it rolling.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

yablanowitz wrote:I prefer the "pay up front and wait a few months to get it" approach myself.
+1
pay up from and no whining later
Donut wrote:I would like to do it.
I don't think voting will work because we never agree.
+1
Donut wrote: Something that is sure to sell like a S90V/G-10 or S110V/G-10 Para 2 or Military might work.
Brian,
You hurt my feelings again. :( :( :( :( :D
This should be Natives5 S90V&S110V&K390 with dark green polished G10 or Hossom's micarta :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Honestly, any PM2 variation would sell out quickly.

I would go with something like S35VN, that isn't too expensive, but still a little bit better than "normal" S30V. Then pick a handle material that just about anyone would love, like carbon fiber. There's no doubt they'd all sell.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

trevitace wrote:Oh, Dave Chappelle, how I miss you. Thanks for sharing that, jalcon.
+10!! How I miss that man too!! Stupid CC!

Not to get this thread off topic, but does anyone know of anyone else planning a 2014 forum knife - BF, EDCF, etc.?

If we want to do one ourselves, let's get a bit more creative... Anyone ready for a new Lil Temp? :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:If I were to order an exclusive, no reason to beat around the bush. Just schedule a batch of CF S110V Para 2's. How many people wish they had a S90V Para 2? I bet you could order a 800-1,200 piece run and it would be gone in less than 1 week. ****, if I had the money, I'd order it myself and trickle them out 1 at a time on ebay. How about the forum starts a kickstarter fund to fund this knife?
Expected delivery would be, lessee, sometime around late 2017??? ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Revival wrote:Isn't voting used when people can't agree on things? Majority rules. Plain and simple. If not we will end up with too many opinions. If it's going to be a spyderco forum knife, shouldn't we allow the whole forum to get involved and base it off what majority wants?
By definition that's true. Don't forget that you are only getting the opinion of people who want to be heard. If you have one vote with 4 choices and the winning vote gets 26% of the vote you will have 74% of people not getting what they want. Why don't we just split it into 3 different votes and make sure there are only a couple of people getting what they want.

The forum knife, we did a series of votes and none of that information was used, we got something completely different.

I think the vote start with something like "Would you be okay with a M4/G-10 Para 2?" Yes. No.

When 51% of people say no, we can blame the rest of the results on them.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote: Brian,
You hurt my feelings again. :( :( :( :( :D
This should be Natives5 S90V&S110V&K390 with dark green polished G10 or Hossom's micarta :)
It would be nice, but I don't think the majority wants a Native 5. How many different S110V Native 5's do you want? :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:+10!! How I miss that man too!! Stupid CC!

Not to get this thread off topic, but does anyone know of anyone else planning a 2014 forum knife - BF, EDCF, etc.?

If we want to do one ourselves, let's get a bit more creative... Anyone ready for a new Lil Temp? :)
EDC Forums came out with their 2014 edcforum knife..

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Boy they love that GITD scale material! Too bad it's not a Spydie...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King