Yojumbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Yojumbo

Post by VashHash »

It's not a typo. I'm curious if there are any plans to make a yojimbo with a longer blade. I understand the original concept is to keep it smaller for legality in more places. I'd love a yojimbo with a 3.5-4inch blade. Of course spyderco can call it whatever they want. I just like the play on words. Anyone else interested? I have an original smurf yo but I'm waiting for that S90V yo 2 before I pull the trigger.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm usually down for almost any wharnie. A larger Yojimbo would be awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I second this. A fixed blade would be cool too. But I'd also like a fixed blade karahawk.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Officer Gigglez wrote:I second this. A fixed blade would be cool too.
IIRC Sal showed last year in Amsterdam a proto of a Ronin II.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Larger yo2 would rock
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I like the play on words.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I would be interested in a YoJumbo for sure...also would be interested in a YoMini with a 2.5" blade, CF scales to provide a wharnie alternative for dress slack/office carry. That would make one mean letter opener. Doesn't hurt to dream.
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

dgebler wrote:I would be interested in a YoJumbo for sure...also would be interested in a YoMini with a 2.5" blade, CF scales to provide a wharnie alternative for dress slack/office carry. That would make one mean letter opener. Doesn't hurt to dream.
I like idea of smaller Yojimbo more
free2game

Post by free2game »

I'd like to see a fixed blade Yojimbo with a karambit style ring.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Parhelion wrote:I like idea of smaller Yojimbo more
A "Yomimbo"? :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

swigert wrote:somehow I knew you would be the first to comment lol!
I have a nose for wharnie goodness lol.
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Still would like to see David's DLC version of the Yo2 probably before any shift in the relative size. It would be (will be Sal?) a badass looking blade!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

Can i just summarize what everyone think?

Dear Spyderco, give us any kind of Yojimbo, we will buy it anyway. It may be fixed or balisong, DLC coating, with liquid metal scales and 6 inch ceramic blade. Whatever, we will buy any kind of this awesome knife.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd prefer a 6 inch S30V blade myself. Currently there are no larger Wharncliffe blades in spydercos line up. They have smaller ones though. Mercury inside lexan handles would definitely sell me on any knife. Sure it's a little risky but it would look awesome. A balisong would be nice too. I love spyderco balis. It also is an awesome knife. But you didn't do a good job of summarizing what everyone said. I like your input though. Good ideas just the mercury handles probably won't happen. DLC is ok wouldn't bother me too much I could always remove it. Back to reality 4inch blade same thickness as current yojimbo lengthen the handle accordingly and possibly use a thicker liner for the compression lock if necessary for keeping the strength.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Still would like to see David's DLC version of the Yo2 probably before any shift in the relative size. It would be (will be Sal?) a badass looking blade!
I'm pretty sure Mike himself shot down the idea, as he's not a fan of black blades.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wouldn't a trainer be the obvious first option?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Anyone know why this knife isn't offered with the Emerson Wave? Just not designed for it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Half Sack wrote:Anyone know why this knife isn't offered with the Emerson Wave? Just not designed for it?
It would completely disrupt the thumb placement on the spine. Some people have cut a hook in the blade and like the results but I'll pass.
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

For the record, I'm not against black blades, I just feel that for the average user a satin finish works fine. If you use the knife for utility and you're not in a tactical situation that demands light discipline (i.e. shiny stuff gets you shot), many coatings also add friction to the cutting process.

One approach that mitigates the friction thing, yet still provides a black coating can be seen on the black-bladed Szabo folder. Unlike most TiCN coatings, which are applied to surfaces that have been bead blasted to a matte finish, the Szabo is TiCN over a satin finish. It's a very handsome look that combines the durability of TiCN with a smoother blade surface that offers low-friction cutting performance.

FWIW, for Martial Blade Camp 2013, Robbie Barrkman of ROBAR generously coated the blades and clips of several Yo2s with his NP3 coating. While they don't look much different, the lubricity offered by the NP3 is amazing. Those knives were included among the door prizes given away to camp participants and are among the rarest Yo2s out there.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mike how does that coating stand up to scratches, and is it something we can pay to have done?
~David