Cleaning the Native.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knivesinedc

Cleaning the Native.

Post by Knivesinedc »

So I have a Native LTWT and I can't get the pivot clean no matter what I do. The action is really stiff and gritty and I cant get it clean. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

It might be easier if you explained what you'd tried already, but hot water and detergent, followed by a rinse, dry and lube should help.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Fancier wrote:It might be easier if you explained what you'd tried already, but hot water and detergent, followed by a rinse, dry and lube should help.
I have tried setting it in boiling water to try to lift the crap out of the pivot I have also tried running water through the pivot as I open and close the blade. I have tried a couple of other things but i will give the water and detergent a try. thanks
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I have this problem from time to time, and all I do is let it set in a bowl of very hot soapy water till the water is cool. Then I just rinse it off and let it dry. (make sure it is completely dry) and then I just apply a light lube and I am back in business!
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

My usual routine for knives I can't take apart is soak the pivot area in WD-40. Work the blade opened and closed. Blow out with compressed air and wipe off the excess. Repeat as neccessary. Then a drop or 2 of nano-oil. Also, I'll use a toothpick or thermostat screwdriver and a t-shirt rag to clean all around the pivot area and inside the knife. With the are half open you can wipe most of the gunk off the lock bar too
araneae

Post by araneae »

WD-40, toothbrush and dish soap, canned air, dry and relube.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

araneae wrote:WD-40, toothbrush and dish soap, canned air, dry and relube.
I do this and use the hand sprayer because the jets afford a higher pressure stream to blast grit out of the contact areas.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*