Swick in other steels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Swick in other steels?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a big fan of neck knives and small fixed blades for backpacking. I usually keep one clipped to my shoulder strap on my pack while hiking and around my neck around camp. I bought a swick and was thinking of bringing it with me on some longer trips but was worried about needing to sharpen it. The majority of knives made for this purpose are made from carbon steels or tool steels. I have used a small 1095 knife a lot and it touched up easily. I carry a small wood stove and sometimes baton small sticks like 1-2 inches in diameter into smaller pieces for it. I am going on a 500 mile mountain bike ride and need to keep it as light as possible.

Why was s30v chosen? Is it because that is golden's standard steel and the swick is still kind of an experiment? There are so few stainless neck knives and most people seem to favor 1095 in this application.

I would like one in 52100, m4 or even d2.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i would definitely have more interest if it was 1095, O1, or M4
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

01 tool steel my favorite camp/hunt knife fixed blade steel.. Easy to sharpen, holds the edge and patinas up real nice!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I would prefer a highly stainless steel if worn around the neck. Close to that salty sweat and everything. CTS-XHP would be fine to keep the price low as possible! ;)