Best currently-sold Spyderco for fishing (commercial and sporting) uses?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Best currently-sold Spyderco for fishing (commercial and sporting) uses?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It can be folder or fixed blade. I would say Pacific Salt. What do others say? I know there are some commercial fishermen on the forum who have used them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have the pacific salt, tasman, and the aqua salt. For performance and convenience I almost always reach for the pacific salt. This was taken ten minutes ago. :)

dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Since the Catcherman is not a standard production model, I would have to agree with you on the Pacific Salt (I have seen some pretty impressive pictures of what this knife can do to a pretty large fish from surfingringo, especially with the re-ground tip). I shoulda known the gringo would beat me to it. Love the pictures and truly jealous of the lifestyle...been out your way a few times (before I was married with child) and last spent a month lost in Costa Rica in 2003, loving every moment. Especially Pavones...even for a regular foot the waves and small town atmosphere are hard to beat!

Still, if I was really in the market for a fishing specific folding knife I would look hard for the H-1 Catcherman!
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

My vote goes to the South Fork. Phil Wilson knows a little something about fishing, and his blade design would fill that roll IMHO
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

My uncle is a fisherman and I bought him a pacific salt for Xmas :)
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Surfingringo, I'm jealous! I'm freezing to death up here and getting ready for another storm and you're posting pics like that!!! Yeah, I would get the Pacific Salt. It looks like it sliced those fish like butter! Good luck and stay safe! :)
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

eric m. wrote:Surfingringo, I'm jealous! I'm freezing to death up here and getting ready for another storm and you're posting pics like that!!! Yeah, I would get the Pacific Salt. It looks like it sliced those fish like butter! Good luck and stay safe! :)
Heard that!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

eric m. wrote:Surfingringo, I'm jealous! I'm freezing to death up here and getting ready for another storm and you're posting pics like that!!! :)

Eric.. Some guys know how to rub it in!! :D John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I miss the cold! I swear!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Surfingringo wrote:I have the pacific salt, tasman, and the aqua salt. For performance and convenience I almost always reach for the pacific salt. This was taken ten minutes ago. :)
Seriously, you shouldn't post pictures of such great weather :p :D .
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Pacific Salt, Salt 1, and believe it or not Manix 2 LW (freshwater only). Mostly depends on application, but I'd agree typically the pacific.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

This is a great thread and your questions are the same thing I have been researching. I do a ton of fishing in the pacific NW, own a dory boat used in the ocean, as well as a driftboat that is heavily used in both rivers and coastal systems. (tide water). I want a quick deployment knife I can wear at all times while on the water to cut anchor ropes, lines, or what ever trouble one would get into on the water. We anchor in some serious water like on the Columbia River and having this type of knife by your side will save lives.

With that said, I'm a auto nut, and have a HUGE interest in the new Autonomy that is due to be released.

Here is my wish list of the H1 Salts.

Autonomy
Aqua Salt
Catcherman
Pacific Salt
Enuff
Rock Salt (just because I love big Spyderco blades)
Fish on!
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Surfingringo wrote:I have the pacific salt, tasman, and the aqua salt. For performance and convenience I almost always reach for the pacific salt. This was taken ten minutes ago. :)
Nice!, thanks for posting.....
Fish on!
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

dtoad wrote: I want a quick deployment knife I can wear at all times while on the water to cut anchor ropes, lines, or what ever trouble one would get into on the water.
For this application, I can't think of a better suggestion than the H1 Jumpmaster. That's what the blade was designed for, cutting rope quick in an emergency.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jtoler_9 wrote:For this application, I can't think of a better suggestion than the H1 Jumpmaster. That's what the blade was designed for, cutting rope quick in an emergency.
The tasman also comes to mind. It's a LOT of cutting power in a small package. But yeah, for larger ropes like he's probably talking about the jumpmaster might be the call. The aqua salt would be a good option too. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jtoler_9 wrote:For this application, I can't think of a better suggestion than the H1 Jumpmaster. That's what the blade was designed for, cutting rope quick in an emergency.
I'm not sure I agree.

I am a professional parachuting instructor, and I find that for the intended purpose (quickly cutting a rope or set of lines) the Tasman Salt serves me better than the Jumpmaster on account of it's hawkbill shape.
shotcaller88

Post by shotcaller88 »

no love for the Spyderco Enuff H1?
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

TomAiello wrote:I'm not sure I agree.

I am a professional parachuting instructor, and I find that for the intended purpose (quickly cutting a rope or set of lines) the Tasman Salt serves me better than the Jumpmaster on account of it's hawkbill shape.
Interesting point. Call the 101st Airborne.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TomAiello wrote:I'm not sure I agree.

The better knife for that job might depend on the diameter of the rope. Anchor ropes on larger boats can get pretty thick.
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Thank you guys for the replies. Yes the Jumpmaster, good point and very similar to what I'm after. I'm a big fan of the discontinued Citadel and love that BI-Directional gripping in which is one of the main reasons both the larger fixed blades (Aqua & JM) would work for what I need. :)

TomA, also has a very valid point, for a lightweight H1 folder, I don't know how you could go wrong for the price.