Spyderco Ready For Survival Market?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Ready For Survival Market?

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the increased interest in the "Survival" and "Prepper" groups currently growing at an exponential rate I'm wondering if Spyderco has possibly considered a sharpening tool or kit for that market. I'm mainly taking about a possible sharpening product that would be great for survival kits, bug out bags or just something efficient and small enough for back packs.

With Lansky's new "Blademedic" and many other new small, compact sharpening tools out there I'm wondering if Spyderco may be considering a sharpening tool for that target market? There was talk about a year or so ago here on the Forum about the possibility of a smaller, scaled down Sharpmaker or something along that line. I remember that subject got a lot of responses at that time.

Because to me the ability to sharpen knives and many other edged tools would be paramount for any type of survival or emergency situation. I'm also thinking it would have to be a compact kit of some type that would handle many sharpening chores like the 204 Sharpmaker does.

I'm curious as to what you all think along those lines and what would be ideal for your own situation? Even just for backpacking, fishing, hunting and many other outdoor type activities I truly believe a product like that would be ideal. So what would be a good survival, prepper, emergency type sharpening tool for all of you?

And Spyderco folks we sure would love your input on this.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would definitely buy a compact sharpening kit from spyderco
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
LC Kid

Diamond/Ceramic Rules!

Post by LC Kid »

Hey Folks!

I'd love to have some kind of Spyderco Combined Diamond/Ceramic WhetStone Field Sharpener.
:cool: Something like the Fällkniven DC3:

I've been using my Spyderco DoubleStuff for a long while:

But the thing is, once you use the Diamond/Ceramic, you never go back. :D
Stay Sharp!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

byrd Duckfoot comes to mind here, but it was discontinued. Apparently there wasn't enough interest in the concept.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

With all the increased interest in the "Survival" and "Prepper" groups currently growing at an exponential rate I'm wondering if Spyderco has possibly considered a sharpening tool or kit for that market. I'm mainly taking about a possible sharpening product that would be great for survival kits, bug out bags or just something efficient and small enough for back packs.
Most "preppers" that I know would never fork over the money for a quality sharpening system. They're too busy ruining their cheap knives with those stupid pull through things that just fold the edge over from both sides at once. :rolleyes:

If Spyderco made a pocket sharpening stone, I'd buy several (1 in my tacklebox, 1 for my hiking backpack, 1 for my car, etc.) so that I'd have one available when needed.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

LC Kid wrote:Hey Folks!

I'd love to have some kind of Spyderco Combined Diamond/Ceramic WhetStone Field Sharpener.

Those are 2 great choices you put up there Brother. I've been wanting to get one of those combo stones from Fallkniven for some time now. I do like your picks of diamond and ceramic because both require a very small amount of maintenance and cleaning and both store very easily.

With Lansky's new "Blademedic" product I like that concept but I would rather it all be based on diamond and ceramic type sharpening tools. Spyderco's Doublestuff stone is one I've been sold on for years. To me it's without a doubt the very best pocket type stone on the market today IMO. I've actually done some very nice touchups on blades slightly dinged up and have gotten them straight razor sharp. If you would have a new Doublestuff stone with diamond on one side and ultra fine on the other that would truly be a very comprehensive kit to have on just about any outdoor venture.

I've even thought about exclusively going diamond all the way on a survival set up simply because of the low maintenance feature they have. However I do like the final finish that ceramic gives. I'm hoping we can all put our heads together on this one. Because to me I can't think of a time when a super sharp tool is most important than during a survival/emergency situation.

Also I was wondering what would be your choices for you to take now, at this time in case of an emergency or survival scenerio?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think with Spyderco's portable sharpening options they have a pretty good angle on the market. A small crock-stick setup seems fairly limited; you're just doing so little work with 3" tall stones.

How do you feel the Goldenstone works JD? I don't have one but will eventually. It seems the best way to maintain an edge on the go with the built-in angle guide. Maybe that and a Duckfoot.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I really like the Doublestuff for affordable portability. I keep it and a Byrd Duckfoot in each of my vehicles.

To me, for "survival" use, it's more about keeping a working edge than getting that mirror-finish polished edge. Of course a small metal file is also useful for taking nicks out of my machete, another important survival tool :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a sheath with a pocket for the double stuff. I honestly don't think Spyderco needs another portable sharpening product. Between the double stuff and the sharp maker (which is actually pretty portable anyway), all my unpowered field sharpening needs are covered.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A single ceramic grey/brown tri- angle in your survival kit will be enough to get by...just MHO...
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

There was talk in the past year of a compact sharpening system under development, can't seem to find the thread
buddy54ck

Double Stuff

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Hi All,
I have to go along with Tom here, and say that Double Stuff is the best Portable sharpener out there! Some people may not be
able to acurately gage the angle, but that comes with
EXPERIENCE, and PRACTICE!
If you are still having problems, have someone make a couple of helper wood blocks for you, to locate the stone at the needed angle!
Stones, or in this case ceramics, also give you a sense of satisfaction
for a job well done!
You may wan't to practice on your beaters first! You can also put magic marker on the edge to help judge that your correctly following your factory angle correctly!
For the times that only a quick stropping is needed, they also make smaller pocket strops, that can be preloaded with your compound of choice. These can be carried in a baggie, I used to keep them in my lunch bag at work!

Just my 2 cents!
Thanks,
Charlie
:spyder: :spyder:ll,
PS.... Read up on it, and there are also plenty of videos on the web about the subject!

Those rubber rust eraser stones also make quick work of keeping that Double Stuff looking and working like new, I usually use a little bit of lighter fluid on the eraser which also removes any oil on the ceramic, though other solvents will work just as well! I also rub the eraser, side
to side, not length wise. This I have found to work the best.

p
TomAiello wrote:I have a sheath with a pocket for the double stuff. I honestly don't think Spyderco needs another portable sharpening product. Between the double stuff and the sharp maker (which is actually pretty portable anyway), all my unpowered field sharpening needs are covered.