Opinions on the Tuff requested

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bchan

Opinions on the Tuff requested

Post by bchan »

Hello all, I am thinking of buying a Tuff (partly to try out the 3V steel) and would welcome the opinions from brothers who have experience with this knife. In particular, I would also your observations on the following:

(1) Some people had complained that the knife is difficult to open. Is this true, any tips to solve this?

(2) Any special care needed with regard to rust prevention? The place I live is pretty humid.

Thanks!
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Mine hasn't rusted yet I oil it occasionally, difficult to open depends on the user. My blade moves freely/very smooth with the lockbar pressed out of the way, still relatively smooth with the detent/lockbar engaging when opening/closing.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's not difficult to open. Mine flicks out easily with my thumb. The thumb hole is one of the sharpest and it could be smoothed down a little to make repeated openings more comfortable.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I used tuf-glide on mine and kept it in my garage tool chest in VERY humid coastal Virginia for almost a year with no rust issues. Properly oiled, I wouldn't be worried about rust.

I've had zero problems opening one-handed, but can't say I've ever attempted flicking one open.

And like the above post, the hole is the sharpest of all my Spydie holes. Not a bother, just an observation.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in one all.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
DBH

Post by DBH »

I carry mine in my EDC rotation several times a week. The knife was "hard" to open about the first week, but after a bunch of cycles it is smooth as butter. I enjoy it, and have gotten a great appreciation for 3V steel. I have a strider in the same, and love it.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I think that the knife is a quality product, well-made, and strong. It was just not a good choice for me.

Mine was extremely hard to open - the hardest opening folder I have ever owned. I lubed it and worked it through thousands of cycles of opening-closing. I was eventually able to get it to open and close without having to go on a strength training program, augmented by steroids.

I liked the heft of it, and the fact that it is overbuilt. It fit my hand nicely. I liked the choil and I am a titanium fanboy in a huge way. I'm an Ed Schempp fan as well. Material choice was top-notch.

Upon using it, I could not easily use the knife for piercing things because the tip rounded somewhat (i.e. - piercing something to start a cut in the middle of a piece of material). It was designed this way to help with strength I would guess (a pointier tip might break under hard use - this being a monument to stout folders). The blade thickness, while quite robust and durable, did not help with slicing, and I found it to be wanting in this area.

It's a great knife if you are looking for a bombproof folder - but there are some trade-offs in the design that make it so bombproof. I was really looking forward to the Tuff prior to its release. I like the idea of something so strong in a folder; however, once I got it and started using it, I realized that it didn't suit my needs.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Lives up to the name for sure thing. Love mine, none of the previous issues with it like the last bunch.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I suspect the design was tweaked since the second production run, as my knife has been as smooth as my Military straight from the box. Lock-up is also top notch. I got mine this summer.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

My review of the Tuff is here: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=

My opinion is unchanged and it remains corrosion free: not even a patina.

It is stiffer to open than most Spydies, though I have never had a problem opening one-handed. The fuller provides a good grip for opening, too. I think some folks may have had stiffer openers than others. The edges of the spydiehole are "sharp", which I like, though some seem to prefer to soften the edge ever so slightly.

Great knife if it's what you need.
bchan wrote:Hello all, I am thinking of buying a Tuff (partly to try out the 3V steel) and would welcome the opinions from brothers who have experience with this knife. In particular, I would also your observations on the following:

(1) Some people had complained that the knife is difficult to open. Is this true, any tips to solve this?

(2) Any special care needed with regard to rust prevention? The place I live is pretty humid.

Thanks!
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My Tuff's blade is treated with Tuf-Glide, and has shown no signs of corrosion in over a year. Mine was an early model, and it was (and still is) very stiff to open and close. By far the stiffest of all my Spydies. But it has loosened up a little since new. Overall it seems to be a heck of a tough knife, as it should be.

:bug-red-white
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

xavierdoc wrote: Great knife if it's what you need.
Yes - this is a good way to put it.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

bchan wrote:Hello all, I am thinking of buying a Tuff (partly to try out the 3V steel) and would welcome the opinions from brothers who have experience with this knife. In particular, I would also your observations on the following:

On the old first runs before they temporarily dicontinued it , they were stiff to open with weak locks. Now they are super smooth, super strong.

Ive treated it like a stainless and its fine. Just wipe liquids off it if you can, though I havent had the slightest sign of rust or patina
Thanks!

I absolutely love my Tuff to bits. I is probably my favorite spyderco or top equal with my southard and I would love it even more if it had a compression lock.

Ergos are very good. Not the best ergos in choil grip but you get good control which counts.

mine is very smooth.

Mine developed a little hair of vertical play but you have to really wrench the blade up and down to feel it, but I have abused the crap out of mine.

I would ask the dealer to pick one out for you that feels very easy to open 1 handed.

Oh also, it has the perfect taichung f&f
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

when I had my Tuff, I had heard a lot of stories about how it was difficult to open. At least for me that couldn't be further from the truth, as it was easy to open and buttery smooth. As to the rust, I mostly kept mine in it's box, and after a couple months there was small bits of rust, so you will have to keep on top of it more than a stainless steel. It was very high quality, but was a very thick blade that couldn't compare to my other knives in cutting performance and slicing capabilities.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My Tuff is the only one I've ever handled, and is extremely stiff to open and close. I'd like to try one of these smooth, easy Tuffs. I imagine it would completely change the character of this knife (and make it much more user friendly).
:bug-red-white
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Been looking at the CPM 3V blade steel! Does anyone have any comparative feedback comparing this steel to some of the other "high performance steels" out there? :confused:
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Would hold up cutting abrasives similarly to s30v but in harder use, will dull by rolling instead of chipping, it has much more toughness and the edge resists deformation very well. It holds an edge longer for me than some of the high wear steels Sometimes as my edges Sometimes dull from cutting metals and dirty stuff, scraping and doing things that can damage stuff like s30v, m390 a little easier. (meaning they dull faster from edge getting impacted or sheared away rather than worn)

I have tried and used 3v, Zwear and pd1 very hard which includes battoning , Prying and cutting various things and they perform very well for my use. Believe me when I say I have really pried them.

Its a brilliant all around steel for me and is definitely one of my favorites up with 204p
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

xavierdoc wrote:My review of the Tuff is here: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... highlight=

My opinion is unchanged and it remains corrosion free: not even a patina.

It is stiffer to open than most Spydies, though I have never had a problem opening one-handed. The fuller provides a good grip for opening, too. I think some folks may have had stiffer openers than others. The edges of the spydiehole are "sharp", which I like, though some seem to prefer to soften the edge ever so slightly.

Great knife if it's what you need.
What did the fox say just before you shot him? :confused:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

razorsharp wrote:Would hold up cutting abrasives similarly to s30v but in harder use, will dull by rolling instead of chipping, it has much more toughness and the edge resists deformation very well. It holds an edge longer for me than some of the high wear steels Sometimes as my edges Sometimes dull from cutting metals and dirty stuff, scraping and doing things that can damage stuff like s30v, m390 a little easier. (meaning they dull faster from edge getting impacted or sheared away rather than worn)

I have tried and used 3v, Zwear and pd1 very hard which includes battoning , Prying and cutting various things and they perform very well for my use. Believe me when I say I have really pried them.

Its a brilliant all around steel for me and is definitely one of my favorites up with 204p
Thanks alot! I was up in the air about this steel and the knife I was looking at. Not anymore! :)