how would you improve the Endura / Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyder_happy

how would you improve the Endura / Delica?

Post by spyder_happy »

Having just recently purchased and a Green Endura 4 ffg, I got to thinking what the next generation of this knife could be. Most of my thoughts on handle and hardware ended up trailing into other existing knifes, such as the cali series (choil, wire clip ect.) I also thought about alternate blade shapes, such as a Wharncliffe or something similar to the Yojimbo, as it seems that bobbing or regrinding the blade is a common modification. I know I would definitely buy a full length delica with a Wharncliffe blade. What would you think to improve or modify ?
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The only way to improve it is to make it in super blue steel.

Oh.wait....
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wire clip :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

spyder_happy wrote:Having just recently purchased and a Green Endura 4 ffg, I got to thinking what the next generation of this knife could be. Most of my thoughts on handle and hardware ended up trailing into other existing knifes, such as the cali series (choil, wire clip ect.) I also thought about alternate blade shapes, such as a Wharncliffe or something similar to the Yojimbo, as it seems that bobbing or regrinding the blade is a common modification. I know I would definitely buy a full length delica with a Wharncliffe blade. What would you think to improve or modify ?
You basically mentioned the improvements most people mention throughout the years (you would be surprised at the lengthy threads about this topic, google search Delica or Endura 5, if I remember correctly).

At the end the argument goes, if a person wants a choil, G10, why not just go for the Caly, or Military, then people want the compression lock with G10, why not just go for the Manix. It seems no matter the recommended change there is already a model that goes into that direction.

The wharncliff blade was a good recommendation, however, if you put an Edura next to a Chris Reeve Insingo you realise the blades are near identical. A wharncliff with a slight belly. The Endura just has a 'cant' (correct term eludes me) that drops the blade lower then the handle that gives it a completely different appearance then the Insingo. It is a slight modification to the straight edge wharncliff IMO.

At the end, the Endura and Delica IMO is price, performance and reliability masterpieces as is.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Zenith,

That's about what I concluded withmy musings. Having used the endura the only real thing I would want to change would be a wire clip. The blade shape works well, but I would still love to give a completely straight edge a go. I also was pondering alternative blade shapes as an option to choose from, like how the griptillian is offered with three shapes. That would undoubtedly be difficult, but perhaps useful?
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
Leif

Post by Leif »

Harden the steel lock bar. After obsessively flicking my delica nearly a year it peened the lockbar badly enough that you can see the "peenage" and the lock doesn't properly mate to the tang. It now hs bad vertical bladeplay that makes a clikcing noise. Now this wouldn't bee a problem if my adhd didn't have me hard flicking a lockback a ton, but if the lockbar was heat treated to the same hrc as the blade that would greatly improve the durability of the lock in a few ways.
Lowcald

Post by Lowcald »

I've carried a Delica 4 for a number of years and I believe this knife is as close to perfect as it gets. I would like a wire clip....and if they did come out with a Delica 5, a handle design that would be a combo of the Delica 4 and Dragonfly 2 would be idea, IMO. The wire clip is a must though. I wouldn't mind seeing a different lock type, however, I'm not sure that's possible while still maintaining the thinness of the knife (which is part of the appeal for me). I believe I bought my first Delica 4 in 2006 or 2007, when did the gen 4 come out? I was just curious as to when one could expect a gen 5.
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Change the finger grip area to that of the Harpy, and I would be a Delica/Endura fanboy. I would probably buy one of every steel option available. That is really the only thing I dislike about these knives...those **** points on the grip area.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would like a pointier blade and a wire clip. I know most people like the tip of these blades the way it is but I more or less just accept it.

They have made wharnie delicas. Kahr arms had one made recently I believe.
free2game

Post by free2game »

Bit specific, but an internal stop pin for increasing lock strength/getting rid of vertical play, a solid G10 handle with a wire clip, and a FFG version of the Endura 3 blade (realize the tip is stronger on the new ones, but I think the older ones look a lot better).
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

Make it our of graphene with an s110v blade make nutnfancy give it a 20 out of 10 for weighing like 1 oz lol sell a bazillian
Holland

Post by Holland »

The internal stop pin is also a great idea. Imo, that should be added to all LockBacks :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Discontinue them and make more variations of he Caly 3.5
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Not much. Soften the points on handle, and wire clip for a slightly lower carry.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The delica is too sharp on the blade spine and I would like to see a way to get the pocket clip just a bit higher up so it rides a tad lower. I would like to see Spyderco use interchangeable clips and sell them separately somehow (or include both a wire and standard clip in package). That would allow users to choose whichever clip suits them best.
I have two delicas, one in grey FRN which I never really warmed up to and another in titanium/damascus that grows on me with use. The sturdier construction of the titanium version definitely helps me appreciate this knife more. I don't think I'm an FRN guy.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Give them the Stretch treatment :) .
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

For me, I'd like the Gen 3 blade shape in the Gen 4 handle. I love the clip, I wouldn't change it.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I've owned at least one Delica of each type since they came out. I've broken the early integral plastic clip - snagged on the ambulance door as I jumped out as I recall. I've broken the blade tip - prying/abuse. I've owned fully serrated, combo-edge, and plain-edge. All that said, I will admit the current Delica is my favorite. I am down to 2 Delicas, both Gen 4 - fully serrated ZDP-189 and a FFG with brown scales. If I had the money I'd own a Super Blue version. Being unemployed at the moment that is not happening.

I could see a few changes though. I always liked the fish-scale textured FRN on the Caly Junior. The Volcano texture FRN is grippier, but a pain if gunk gets in it.
I am fine with the current pocket clip, but there are times the deeper carry of a wire clip would be nice. Wire clips are also nice if you accidentally rub up against a vehicle.

All in all though the Delica still remains one of my favorite Spyderco Knives.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I would like to see a full SE Black bladed Endura4 coated in DLC.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'd love to see the one piece FRN handles brought back, and keep the adjustable pivot, like on the Salt line. One thing I like about the old models is the simplicity of the handles.

Oh, and make a run in white FRN so the end user can dye it if they choose to.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN