Best Spyderco knives that ever got discontinued

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Post by Holland »

bh49 wrote:No mentioning of CF Balance :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Yah, thats mind blowing! Maybe he forgot they were discontinued since he has like 10 sitting around :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

CF Michael Walker
Original Starmate
C42 Viele

Lil'Temp
Catcherman H1 CE
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

paladin wrote: Polliwog
Jess Horn
I'm in with these, the Rock Salt, Aqua Salt and the Caly VG-10.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote:No mentioning of CF Balance :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Point. I kinda forgot it was gone. Too recent? I was thinking older models. But, yeah, absolutely. I'd love to see it come back in a Super Blue.
Holland wrote:Yah, thats mind blowing! Maybe he forgot they were discontinued since he has like 10 sitting around :D
Exactly this! How can they be gone? I still have one in its box ;)

Ken
玉鋼
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I assume I'm just one of a number of leaf-shaped VG10 fans, so the disco of my much loved Superleaf perplexes me, as does the Superhawk, which I really must get one before the secondary market dries up completely. And disco of the original Starmate in favor of a CQI'd version raises a question or two, given complaints about Taichung's F&F on this model.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

I love curved blades (generally speaking), including my Superhawk PE which I understand was discontinued a good long while ago (afaik).
boyleman

Post by boyleman »

aqua salt
M80

Post by M80 »

Jester.
Captain.
Zowada.
Ocelot.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Why does the poliwog get no love? :P Granted it could have endured a leaner grind, but it was a fantastic piece of design.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I forgot - the SE Spyderhawk in H-1. Great knife.
nccole

Post by nccole »

wrdwrght wrote:I assume I'm just one of a number of leaf-shaped VG10 fans, so the disco of my much loved Superleaf perplexes me, as does the Superhawk, which I really must get one before the secondary market dries up completely. And disco of the original Starmate in favor of a CQI'd version raises a question or two, given complaints about Taichung's F&F on this model.
Starmate is from Japan. It wasn't like Spyderco said "lets replace this original model with a new one that will have F&F issues right from the start." They practice CQI on many models, the Japanese maker dropped the ball on this particular update.
Leif

Post by Leif »

My votes are for the PPT and the Superleaf
Two historical figures, outlaws and desperadoes if that, the villainous pair of really nice boys who just happened to be on the wrong side of the law.

:spyder: Current EDC: Paramilitary 2 :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

nccole wrote:Starmate is from Japan. It wasn't like Spyderco said "lets replace this original model with a new one that will have F&F issues right from the start." They practice CQI on many models, the Japanese maker dropped the ball on this particular update.
Quite right. Japan. Well aware of CQI and, as a direct beneficiary, admire the practice. I mentioned the failed F&F because it is atypical and makes the original disco so much more unfortunate. Did you really think the scenario you created was what I meant?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
nccole

Post by nccole »

wrdwrght wrote:Quite right. Japan. Well aware of CQI and, as a direct beneficiary, admire the practice. I mentioned the failed F&F because it is atypical and makes the original disco so much more unfortunate. Did you really think the scenario you created was what I meant?
I did. Your explanation makes you sound more reasonable :) I suppose due to lack of knowing you personally, your comment sounded like another pro USA guy bashing Asian made knives (your mistake of country of origin helped the perception), and the "raises questions" part of your comment made it seem as though you saw Spyderco just mading a stupid judgement call. I believe they have since cleared up the issues have they not?
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I always wanted a caspian salt.... :rolleyes:
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Another vote for the SE Military. Oh well hopefully I like how my aftermarket serrations turn out.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

enduraguy wrote:Another vote for the SE Military. Oh well hopefully I like how my aftermarket serrations turn out.
That's one model that continues to perplex me as to why they discontinued it. I had heard that sales took a fall and that's understandable but to me as good of a utility knife that the fully serrated Military model was/is. The strurdiness of the Military model combined with top notch steels like CPM, Carpenter and other great premium blade steels that they used in that model over the years really gives you a Spyderedged blade that you can really play rough with and not to worry about hurting it any.

It seems to me that as popular as the Military model is they could make at least 5% to 10% of every run of that model in full Spyderedge and I have no doubt that they would at least sell that many of them. For me trading my last full SE Military was one of my deepest regrets as far as Spyders I've traded or sold. As much as my XHP Military has been a great blade I just know that an XHP Military in full SE would be like a wrecking machine.

Also as good as Spyderco's fixed blades are in full SE I find it disappointing that they don't make more of them available in full SE.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Invective

Post by Invective »

JD Spydo wrote:That's one model that continues to perplex me as to why they discontinued it. I had heard that sales took a fall and that's understandable but to me as good of a utility knife that the fully serrated Military model was/is. The strurdiness of the Military model combined with top notch steels like CPM, Carpenter and other great premium blade steels that they used in that model over the years really gives you a Spyderedged blade that you can really play rough with and not to worry about hurting it any.

It seems to me that as popular as the Military model is they could make at least 5% to 10% of every run of that model in full Spyderedge and I have no doubt that they would at least sell that many of them. For me trading my last full SE Military was one of my deepest regrets as far as Spyders I've traded or sold. As much as my XHP Military has been a great blade I just know that an XHP Military in full SE would be like a wrecking machine.

Also as good as Spyderco's fixed blades are in full SE I find it disappointing that they don't make more of them available in full SE.

I think part of it is that Spyderco just offers so many other great SE knifes that the Military can fall off the radar. I have a 440V Native, MeerKat, Worker, and Millie in full SE and find myself reaching for the Native 9 times out of 10. In my uses, I haven't needed the extra blade length that the Military offers over the Native. Add in other full SE knives like the PM1, Catcherman, Endura, the Rescues and Salts, Tenacious, Stretch, all of which are cheaper than the Military, it is easy to see how the SE Military is overlooked.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Not a knife, but a steel. 440V. I want some more.

Not a knife but a design feature. Dinosaur Jimping!

Knives:

C95. 4mm is better!!!!!!
Captain - I say that with all the unique blade shapes that are around today this would sell a lot better now. It was just ahead of its time.
PPT
Caly Jr
Chinook 1
Kiwi - like I said in another thread love to see one in a higher end steel.
On the hunt for...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

nccole wrote:Starmate is from Japan. It wasn't like Spyderco said "lets replace this original model with a new one that will have F&F issues right from the start." They practice CQI on many models, the Japanese maker dropped the ball on this particular update.
They seriously did in a big way. I did notice however that in the 2014 catalog that it is now listed as a hollow grind instead of a saber grind. So maybe some improvement???
On the hunt for...