Sharpening System's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bombela

Sharpening System's

Post by Bombela »

Tomorrow I'm receiving my sharp maker "I'm so excited" but i want to know what you guys use to get those beautiful polished edges? This is what i got for my first knife sharpening setup.

Sharpmaker
2 Ultra fine stones for the sharp maker
Knife Plus Strop

Any tips on how to use the sharp maker are welcome :)
Mike9x19

Post by Mike9x19 »

Watch the DVD that comes with the Sharpmaker. I messed with it before watching and it was a total waste of time. Sal does a great job showing you how to use the Sharpmaker. It's definitely worth watching. I also practiced on my cheap kitchen knives before sharpening my nice folders.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Best advice I can give, GO SLOW until you get a feel for it. I watched the DVD and thought I could keep up with Sal, I was wrong. I still have to go slow. I put the SM on the table and stand over it. That way I can watch the edge to make sure it's flat against the rods all the way through to motion. Good lighting also helps.
Revival

Post by Revival »

This would be my tips...

- Watch the DVD at least twice before you even touch the Sharpmaker
- Mark the edge of the knife with a Sharpie
- Go slow
- Use very light pressure
- Be conisistent as possible
- Watch the DVD again
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

Use your sharpmaker on a level surface!!
:spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

All great advice to far. Getting a polished edge is pretty difficult with the sharpmaker. Most of the people here who manage to get polished edges either free hand, use the edge pro, or the wicked edge.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Got a KME sharpner for CHRISTmas.. I am really likng it so far.. Getting some super edges!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If you watch the video and don't try to force it you will see results.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Use a marker on the bevel

Check the bevel after every pass and "learn" what's happening as you work

Focus on consistency

When you finally achieve sharpness, keep the blade touched up to avoid long sessions on very dull blades
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Never used a Sharpmaker but EVERYONE says watching the DVD is a key to getting great results as fast as possible. However, watching it twice befor playing with a new toy would be impossible for me. :) Try watchcing it once then follow along with yours as you watch it the second and third times. Play with it for a week then watch it again. Bet you see things you either missed or didn't realize the significance of when you watched it the first time. Good luck.

I had one of the strop blocks from knives plus. It is a great strop expecially for the first one. Maybe the last unless you get hooked on sharpening like some of these guys have. :) My son has been using it for about 3 years and still likes it. My son is a strange person though. He has 3 DMT stones and the one strop and seems to be happy with very sharp knives. He doesn't realize you need a minimum of10-15 stones of various grits and manufacturers and at least that many strops. :)

Jack
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

There are two YouTube videos by Crocket that are titled "Spyderco Sharpmaker Improvments" part 1 and 2.

They helped me. One thing that helped the most from the videos was using screws to mount the base down so I could use two hands to hold the knife. I can't stress enough how much of a difference that one tip alone made. There are other tips on the videos you might find useful.
Revival

Post by Revival »

jackknifeh wrote:Never used a Sharpmaker but EVERYONE says watching the DVD is a key to getting great results as fast as possible. However, watching it twice befor playing with a new toy would be impossible for me. :) Try watchcing it once then follow along with yours as you watch it the second and third times. Play with it for a week then watch it again. Bet you see things you either missed or didn't realize the significance of when you watched it the first time. Good luck.
Haha true. The common steps are:

- Fast forward through DVD
- Attempt to sharpen knife on Sharpmaker quickly
- Post "I can't get my knife sharp on Sharpmaker!!!" on knife forums
Leif

Post by Leif »

The sharpmaker is great because it is inexpensive and very easy to use, nearly foolproof. That said, it can't compete with an experienced freehand sharpener or a pricey system like the wicked edge.
Two historical figures, outlaws and desperadoes if that, the villainous pair of really nice boys who just happened to be on the wrong side of the law.

:spyder: Current EDC: Paramilitary 2 :spyder:
Bombela

Post by Bombela »

We'll thanks fo all the help guys! I sharpened 2 kitchen knives before my para 2 and man let me tell you my knife is sharp!
It's doesn't whittle hair but it's really close!

Any other recommendation would be awesome!

Thanks again!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Clean Rods. Do not let them to get loaded too much. The best staff is Barkeeper friend. I used Comet and Ajax for years. Tried erasers, including Magic eraser. Once tried Barkeeper friend and never bought anything else.
You will need coarse stones or another system for repair/reprofiling. Keep in the mind that polished edged looks beautiful, but good only for push-cuts, not so much for slicing.
Do some reading about sharpening. It will help to understand what are you doing.
http://www.knifeart.com/sharfaqbyjoe.html
http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/index.htm

Start sharpening.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian