Would anyone else like a matriarch in h1?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Would anyone else like a matriarch in h1?

Post by Surfingringo »

I would like to see the matriarch in h1. Seems like a logical idea given how well h1 performs in se. I am eying the matriarch now but I can't really justify owning it, but if it were offered in an h1 version I would grab one for sure. I think it would make a nice sd/utility/rustproof knife.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I would get a couple...
A sprint run of G10 Civilians in H1 would be even better...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have only seen pics, but the matriarch looks to have a bit thicker, sturdier tip than the civilian. I thought it might make a better choice for a multi purpose knife. Not sure.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

They might as well be in that steel for the production versions. This forum pointed me to how H1 excels in serrated blades and I've been impressed ever since. I'd like to see a waved version of it, but working with the H1 might be too troublesome I don't know. My serrated H1's came truly scary sharp I couldn't believe it, it was singing making ribbons of phonebook paper, my standard test. I can maintain it well enough with the SM and it's not a knife I'd be actually using regularly anyway so I think it's a great match.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Continuing a thought... Considering how Spyderco ships serrated H1 blades ridiculously sharp like that, there would be no drop off to VG10 with the Civilian, or Matriarch if you chose to have those soley as a defensive played like it's advertised as. Plus it won't rust. Would the tip be any weaker/stronger/same with the Nitrogen based H1 though? And will the S-blade be a bear to grind?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

FCM415 wrote:Continuing a thought... Considering how Spyderco ships serrated H1 blades ridiculously sharp like that, there would be no drop off to VG10 with the Civilian, or Matriarch if you chose to have those soley as a defensive played like it's advertised as. Plus it won't rust. Would the tip be any weaker/stronger/same with the Nitrogen based H1 though? And will the S-blade be a bear to grind?
I can't say too much about the matriarch as I've never handled one, but I guess I'm trying to convince myself it could make a decent edc. I carry my tasman salt sometimes (as edc) and it's pretty useful. The matriarch looks even more so, as that belly in the "s" looks like it would be more useful than the full hawkbill of the tasman. So the way I was looking at it was as a knife that I could use on the ocean, as a regular edc, and also as sd. That's why I was thinking h1 would be an attractive proposition.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I have a Tasman on my sights, gotta try that out. I have no experience with these types of blades and must defer to your experience hehe. I bet you can have some fun with an H1 Matriarch with the things you do and where you're at.
-Leonard Nimoy
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yeah, I keep looking at the matriarch and thinking, man, if that were in h1 I think I would use that blade shape more than my tasman!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Surfingringo wrote:I have only seen pics, but the matriarch looks to have a bit thicker, sturdier tip than the civilian. I thought it might make a better choice for a multi purpose knife. Not sure.
I agree. The Civilian tip is really fragile. I think it was intended exclusively for SD use, not as a utility knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

FCM415 wrote:I have a Tasman on my sights, gotta try that out.
The Tasman is a great knife. I have it in both PE and SE. I'd love to see it with a choil for finer control on the PE (which I use way more often, my SE is in the emergency bag), but the SE Tasman is an insane cutting machine.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I would get a couple...
A sprint run of G10 Civilians in H1 would be even better...
This is what I would prefer, or an H1 Lil Matriarch.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

TomAiello wrote:I agree. The Civilian tip is really fragile. I think it was intended exclusively for SD use, not as a utility knife.
Yes, the civilian actually comes with a tag with specific instructions NOT to attempt to use it as a utility knife.

If you have never handled a civilian it's something worth doing - it is truly an awe-inspiring design. I think this knife would have as much psychological impact as actual defensive worth in any situation - I would not want to tackle with anybody packing one of these, trained knife fighter or not...
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

TomAiello wrote:I agree. The Civilian tip is really fragile. I think it was intended exclusively for SD use, not as a utility knife.
Yes, the civilian actually comes with a tag with specific instructions NOT to attempt to use it as a utility knife.

If you have never handled a civilian it's something worth doing - it is truly an awe-inspiring design. I think this knife would have as much psychological impact as actual defensive worth in any situation - I would not want to tackle with anybody packing one of these, trained knife fighter or not...
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I think H1 would be a great steel for the Matriarch. I carry mine often and find it very useful for cutting tasks were a serrated edge is needed. I'm in for one!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Surfingringo wrote:I would like to see the matriarch in h1. Seems like a logical idea given how well h1 performs in se. I am eying the matriarch now but I can't really justify owning it, but if it were offered in an h1 version I would grab one for sure. I think it would make a nice sd/utility/rustproof knife.
YES!

I have been pushing for this for the past year. It would be perfect for my needs. I would buy several.
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Definitely! I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok then, it's decided! :D
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok then, it's decided! :D
Sweet! Let me know when to pre-order!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I want one. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!