Para 2 first impressions and questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lowcald

Para 2 first impressions and questions

Post by Lowcald »

So after much deliberating on which of the $100-150 spyderco knives to get, I settled on a black on black Para 2 (was about to buy a Caly 3.5 when I saw the Para 2 available).

Positives:
- Size-to-weight ratio is crazy. I can't believe it's as light as it is.
- I'm not sure if I've ever had a knife that my hand felt more comfortable when holding with my thumb on the jimping. Someone once commented it's like your hand melts into it and I'd have to agree.
- I'm really digging the blade shape.

Negatives:
- The knife is incredibly stiff. I see people on youtube all the time flicking these open at lightning speed, and then releasing the compression lock and having the blade just fall. I'm assuming I'll have to adjust the pivot screw (more on why I haven't done this later), but do I need to do anything else? I was not expecting it to be this stiff.
- I could definitely see people having concerns about breaking the tip. I'm not familiar with this type of blade steel (first knife with it), but isn't it stronger than VG-10 (VG-10 has held up great for me)?

I haven't adjusted the pivot screw or changed the pocket clip to tip up (why it comes tip down is a mystery to me). I have slight buyer's remorse and might let this thing go. I'm just wondering what other people's initial impressions are with this knife and any tips on breaking it in. Is this a knife that will grow on me after carrying for while?
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Here's a video that might help your decision. If it was going to break, this guy would have accomplished it.

[video=youtube_share;_zc7wesmuA4]http://youtu.be/_zc7wesmuA4[/video]
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

My suggestion with all knives is to work it open and closed before you do anything to it. No oil, screw adjustments etc. Make sure there is no rubbing or anything like that and just work it for a bit, watch tv or something and just open and close it.
My Endura came very still and got to the point where it was easy to open but not flick, at that point adjusting the screw was needed but I knew the knife was as good as it could be before making adjustments.
That said my PM2 came super slick and needed no working in. If your confident it needs adjustments or oil then go for it.

For the buyers remorse, I've had that with a few, ignore what you paid enjoy and use the knife. If a few months pass and your not pleased sell/trade for likely close to what you paid.

Avoid dropping the knife, prying or catching the tip on things like staples and it should be fine. Over a year with mine and no issues, one of my favorite knives.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Para 2 has been my favorite all-around knife since I received my first one in August 2010. But, it shouldn't be stiff like that. I've owned 9 Para 2s so far, and the blade on every one of them would swing free when the lock is released right out of the box.
:bug-red-white
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Mine was stiff and gritty for a long time and only barely improved with many opens and closings...I recommend lube. After using some high quality lube, it's butter smooth. Like you, I could never understand how people flicked them open, now I can do that myself (though I choose not to).
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I have had a Para 2 come stiff and all I did was loosen the pivot ever so slightly and it flies.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Tweak that lock! I have had two PM 2's and a Superleaf and all benefited greatly by dialing them in. Just takes a couple of minutes. Many times they over tighten from the factory a bit for shipping. Get to know that lock and what it can do and it will amaze you I bet.
Best...
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I have at least 5 PM2's and some came super smooth and others came kinda tight. If I didn't adjust the pivot it smoothed out on it's own in about a week. Some of them I adjusted the pivot and then put loctite on the screw and left it sit for a day and it was fine after that. You are not going to break that knife. Believe me. You are not going to break the tip either. People truly forget how awesome CPM-S30V is. It is still one of the best steels out there.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Holland

Post by Holland »

it'll break in. if not, buyer remorse shouldnt exist for this knife as youll probably make money selling it :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi there, as for the buyers remorse, yeah, I've had that a few times when a knife didn't meet one or more of my expectations. I would obsess over that one little thing and be unable to enjoy the knife. However, numerous times I have managed to fix the issue and I immediately came to love the knife.

For example, I had a cts204p knife that I struggled to get razor sharp. I hated that thing for a month and wanted to sell it. Then I got the diamond rods and all that changed and I loved the knife. I was initially kind of "meh" on my pacific salt because of that big fat "kindergarten scissors" tip. I reground the tip and it became my most beloved knife. It sounds like you have an issue with the action on your knife and that's kind of sucking the joy out of it. My advice is stop making judgements about the knife until you get the action dialed in. There are countless threads on here detailing how to get the pivot zeroed in. There's nothing to it. Give it a shot. I'll wager that once you have that thing opening and closing like its on bearings, you're gong to have a different impression.

Lance
Lowcald

Post by Lowcald »

It's good to know that some have had the same issue with the knife being incredibly tight. I still haven't decided if I'm keeping it.
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

Before you give up on the Para, try loosening the stop pin screws. They are just aft of the pivot on top of the scales. Sometimes these come really torqued tight. Loosening those and perhaps some pivot adjustment should make your knife easy to open.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Set the pivot tension you want and put lube on the washers. Now all you have to do flick away! Lol and your knife will be butter smooth after two weeks to break in tops. I am fairly careless with my knives' tips and have broken a few (never a Spydie thankfully :o ) S30V is more prone to chipping or snapping than VG10, so when I'm using my paramilitary I'm just a bit more cautious and the tip is still perfect, I wouldn't worry about it, even if it is a little fragile the tradeoff is that really pierces like a demon.

This knife is exactly the type that grows on you. Just carry it and see for yourself. I would be willing to bet that you don't sell it in the end. :D
Two historical figures, outlaws and desperadoes if that, the villainous pair of really nice boys who just happened to be on the wrong side of the law.

:spyder: Current EDC: Paramilitary 2 :spyder:
Revival

Post by Revival »

Ray Allen wrote:Tweak that lock! I have had two PM 2's and a Superleaf and all benefited greatly by dialing them in. Just takes a couple of minutes. Many times they over tighten from the factory a bit for shipping. Get to know that lock and what it can do and it will amaze you I bet.
Best...
What do you mean by tweaking the lock? I had no idea that was possiple with the PM2. None of my PM2's needed adjustments but I am curious about it.
Lowcald

Post by Lowcald »

Set the pivot tension you want and put lube on the washers. Now all you have to do flick away! Lol and your knife will be butter smooth after two weeks to break in tops. I am fairly careless with my knives' tips and have broken a few (never a Spydie thankfully ) S30V is more prone to chipping or snapping than VG10, so when I'm using my paramilitary I'm just a bit more cautious and the tip is still perfect, I wouldn't worry about it, even if it is a little fragile the tradeoff is that really pierces like a demon.
Last night I finally switched the clip and attempted to loosen the pivot screws. This is the first knife I think I've had from Spyderco where there is a screw on each side. I've made only very slight adjustments to each, and the blade is deploying much better. It doesn't necessarily 'fall' when the lock is released, however, I can flick it closed. I'm wondering what the technique is as far adjusting dual pivot screws. One of them is not flush with the G-10 scales, and the other might not be either. Is this normal? I honestly didn't make too much of an adjustment to either, but I may I have made more of an adjustment on one then the other (as dumb as this sounds, I didn't know initially there was a screw on each side when the clip was tip down. Is it a huge pain to take the knife apart to clean/lube? Thanks for the help. I put the knife in my pocket after I changed the clip and it rides pretty well. It's definitely growing on me.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Lowcald wrote:I've made only very slight adjustments to each, and the blade is deploying much better. It doesn't necessarily 'fall' when the lock is released, however, I can flick it closed. I'm wondering what the technique is as far adjusting dual pivot screws. One of them is not flush with the G-10 scales, and the other might not be either. Is this normal? I honestly didn't make too much of an adjustment to either, but I may I have made more of an adjustment on one then the other (as dumb as this sounds, I didn't know initially there was a screw on each side when the clip was tip down. Is it a huge pain to take the knife apart to clean/lube?
Sounds right, now it just takes a little bit of breaking in (~2 weeks) for the blade to drop smoothly when you disengage the lock. I wish I knew of a technique for setting the pivot, I just go by feel and take my time. They should not be sticking out of the scales or they are too loose. Also, before you ever take apart the knife know that disassembly voids the warranty however many people still do it. With the pressed lanyard tube and pivot bushing it can be a little hard to put back together.
Two historical figures, outlaws and desperadoes if that, the villainous pair of really nice boys who just happened to be on the wrong side of the law.

:spyder: Current EDC: Paramilitary 2 :spyder:
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

aquaman67 wrote:Here's a video that might help your decision. If it was going to break, this guy would have accomplished it.

[video=youtube_share;_zc7wesmuA4]http://youtu.be/_zc7wesmuA4[/video]
I've always loved real world type user review vids over the countless and useless "un boxing" "reviews" where nothing more than the video recorders opinion is revealed.