Who Loves the Spyderco Wire Pocket Clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
this_is_nascar
Member
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Gloucester City, NJ

Who Loves the Spyderco Wire Pocket Clip?

Postby this_is_nascar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:53 am

For me, this is the best clip on the market. It's allows for about as deep of a carry that you can get, it's not intimidating looking and it stands up to abuse (from what I've read). I have this clip on my Dragonfly-2, Chaparral and Sage-1.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

jalcon
Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am
Location: Hershey, PA

Postby jalcon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 am

Yeah the Sage 1 is my first Spyderco with a wire clip and I have to say, I love how it ride's in the pocket. Awesome.

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 7318
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Postby Holland » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:16 am

It's definitely my preferred clip type. On all my favourite knives I prefer it, but it also suits the knives. For example, I wouldn't want to use a wire clip on a para2 or tuff
-Spencer

Rotation:
Junction | Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2

User avatar
Revival
Member
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 am
Location: The 9th Island

Postby Revival » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:40 am

I love it. I hope to see more spydies in the future using the wire clip!

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8587
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Postby xceptnl » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:45 am

It is my prefered clip type until we get a deep carry hourglass clip.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

.357 mag
Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Postby .357 mag » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:47 am

��

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25470
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Postby The Deacon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:02 am

Not me. I'm not fond of clips in general, but at least the screw holes left when most of Spydercos three hole clips are removed are minimally unattractive and can be easily filled at a reasonable cost to further improve the knife's cosmetic appearance. On the other hand, trying to undo the unsightly channels left when a wire clip is removed requires major surgery and is made even more difficult on some wire clip equipped models by construction techniques that do not allow easy replacement of the scales.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

RealKnifeUser
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Western Wisconsin

Postby RealKnifeUser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:08 am

I only have one example, but I like it. Ity has good retention, doesn't attract attention, and its easy on the pants. I do agree with Holland though, I think its great for certain knives, but not others.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Postby wrdwrght » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 am

I like the wire clip but only on non-weighty knives, including the Sages, except for the Sage4... I think the Techno and Superleaf call out for an hourglass clip but only on aesthetic grounds. I did, however, snap the wire clip on my Superleaf in a spastic grab for my pocketed keys.
...experience the spirit of the design that the designer has built into the 3 D version of his mental idea. - S. Glesser (ever mindful of a mentor’s “Simplicate and add lightness”)

-Marc

User avatar
mikerestivo
Member
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:19 am
Location: Indiana

Postby mikerestivo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59 am

I like the wire clip. It's my favorite.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Postby Evil D » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am

I love it but I do wish they would use a thicker gauge wire to reduce flex.
How you carry yourself is just as important as what you carry.
~David

User avatar
gull wing
Member
Posts: 3289
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Louisiana USA

Postby gull wing » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18 am

The wire clip is my favorite. Not extremely strong (as a plate ones), but slide in and out so easily, a snap to use.
I don't need a strong clip, I go IWB.
SCARAMOUCHE! :spyder:

User avatar
Rwb1500
Member
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Rwb1500 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 am

My favorite. I especially like the gunmetal coloring on the Sage 1 clip, but I love all of the wire clips.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)

jalcon
Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am
Location: Hershey, PA

Postby jalcon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:23 am

Evil D wrote:I love it but I do wish they would use a thicker gauge wire to reduce flex.
When you say "flex", do you mean side to side, as in when you get a good drip on the handle, you can feel it shift? If so, I hate that too, however I don't notice it too much on my sage. I do notice it however, ALOT of my paramilitary with the STR clip. I can't stand it, but it's worth it to me to have a deep riding clip like that, in blue the matches my jeans. Also is easier on the pocket, they say.

User avatar
this_is_nascar
Member
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Gloucester City, NJ

Postby this_is_nascar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:42 am

The Deacon wrote:Not me. I'm not fond of clips in general, but at least the screw holes left when most of Spydercos three hole clips are removed are minimally unattractive and can be easily filled at a reasonable cost to further improve the knife's cosmetic appearance. On the other hand, trying to undo the unsightly channels left when a wire clip is removed requires major surgery and is made even more difficult on some wire clip equipped models by construction techniques that do not allow easy replacement of the scales.

You have a great point there that I hadn't thought of. I don't like the look of the side that's clipless either. It would be nice if someone engineered an emblem or some other type of handsome filler that could be screwed into there. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone that's a craftsman.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

User avatar
this_is_nascar
Member
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:37 am
Location: Gloucester City, NJ

Postby this_is_nascar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:45 am

Evil D wrote:I love it but I do wish they would use a thicker gauge wire to reduce flex.
jalcon wrote:When you say "flex", do you mean side to side, as in when you get a good drip on the handle, you can feel it shift? If so, I hate that too, however I don't notice it too much on my sage. I do notice it however, ALOT of my paramilitary with the STR clip. I can't stand it, but it's worth it to me to have a deep riding clip like that, in blue the matches my jeans. Also is easier on the pocket, they say.

When I got my Chaparral, it really flexed from side-to-side. I took it off and remounted and it's been fine ever since. Just due to the physics of the wire clip and how it mounts, I don't think it will ever be as ridged as a hard clip that's screwed directly into the frame.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

DeathBySnooSnoo
Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm
Location: Toronto Canada

Postby DeathBySnooSnoo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:54 am

The idea of the clip is ok...the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Like Paul said, the gouges left in the scales are just horribly ugly. And I think that on some knives like the Techno for example, they look pretty dumb and do not suit the knife.

IF the wire clip was to slide under the scales from the end of the knife, that would be a very huge improvement. Plus easily ambi, and no ugly marks in the scales.

I have said for a long while that I think Spyderco should start making more clips that match the individual knives better. Especially in knives that are collaborations where the maker has a clip already designed.
On the hunt for...

User avatar
SolidState
Member
Posts: 1749
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm
Location: Oregon

Postby SolidState » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 am

I too am a big fan of the clip. It is the best for my working environment.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy

User avatar
bh49
Member
Posts: 11464
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: former Constitution state

Postby bh49 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:46 am

Low riding wire clip is my favorite so far for most of the knives, but I wouldn't want it for any dressy knives like bolstered Persians or Vieles.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22987
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Postby Evil D » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 am

jalcon wrote:When you say "flex", do you mean side to side, as in when you get a good drip on the handle, you can feel it shift? If so, I hate that too, however I don't notice it too much on my sage. I do notice it however, ALOT of my paramilitary with the STR clip. I can't stand it, but it's worth it to me to have a deep riding clip like that, in blue the matches my jeans. Also is easier on the pocket, they say.
I do mean side to side. It's really not a big deal as far as function goes, but it bugs me because sometimes it scratches up the G10/CF underneath it.
How you carry yourself is just as important as what you carry.
~David


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], knifemovieguy, kobold, Wartstein and 42 guests