Spyderco Tactical Folder Line!(SPYDERTAC)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad
Member
Posts: 2984
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Postby twinboysdad » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 pm

I would add that my first Manix 2 was after my first "#1 hard use knife" and the M2 is twice the knife. Better lock, super rugged, and sharpened on both sides (imagine that), and it cuts well and has a blade shape that looks like a **** knife and not a torture device. You should be able to use your knife for your cutting tasks and not "preserve" it for ninja stuff

eric m.
Member
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Postby eric m. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 am

chuck_roxas45 wrote:That's probably because you want a spyderco custom made for you just because you seem to want it just because of how it would look. Lots of spydercos would serve your intended purpose quite well. ;)

Sal and Mike have both explained that probably 85% of their line would suit what you say you want this particular knife for. The broken record are not the guys telling you what the reality is. It's you repeating what you want and not for for the reasons you stated since it has been brought to your awareness that there are others suitable for whatever you percieve your tactical use to be. :)

I actually want a K390 Military just because, and not for any manufactured reason. :D
I've seen posts of numerous people wishing Spyderco would make a certain knife this way, grind the blade that way, and even submit/post drawings of their knife designs with not the slightest bit of the criticism being given by anyone! I make a request for a knife designed along the lines of my favorite blade-shaped Spyderco and immediately the whole context of the original posting is changed into a philosophical discussion because of my use of one word! Now, I am relatively new to this forum, and therefore do not know the previous battles that may have gone on here, but I still am entitled to my own likes and dislikes, without anyone attacking me over personal preferences! As I stated before, I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone over implying that Spyderco does not make t_______l knives. That was not my intention at all, and have stated that already. But it seems that nothing short of crucifixion will do for some of you!

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 20239
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Look a little harder, There are tactical Spyders already

Postby JD Spydo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:57 am

I don't mean to be sarcastic with Brother Eric at all. But if the Yojimbo 2 and Fred Perrin's collaboration models along with Laci Szabo's collaboration designs aren't tactical by nature then I just don't know what to say.

I think you can also add the 2 fixed blade Temperance models as well as the Warrior to that list which I believe I could easily add to. Look at all the models like the P'Kal that they made trainers for>> I'm sure that they have trainers for knife fighting potential. I respectfully disagree because I believe in a very discreet way Spyderco has made a very solid presence in that sector.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25421
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Postby The Deacon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:38 am

eric m. wrote:I've seen posts of numerous people wishing Spyderco would make a certain knife this way, grind the blade that way, and even submit/post drawings of their knife designs with not the slightest bit of the criticism being given by anyone! I make a request for a knife designed along the lines of my favorite blade-shaped Spyderco and immediately the whole context of the original posting is changed into a philosophical discussion because of my use of one word! Now, I am relatively new to this forum, and therefore do not know the previous battles that may have gone on here, but I still am entitled to my own likes and dislikes, without anyone attacking me over personal preferences! As I stated before, I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone over implying that Spyderco does not make t_______l knives. That was not my intention at all, and have stated that already. But it seems that nothing short of crucifixion will do for some of you!
Eric, I'm certain nobody here would have taken issue with your desire for a Spyderco with the specific features you outlined. As you noted, others do this almost every day. I doubt anyone would have taken major exception with you describing such a knife as "tactical", as a "tactical folder", or as a "hard use folder" even though some of those terms have been overused and misused to the point of being perceived as nothing more than advertising slogans by some people.

I'm fairly certain that what got things off on the wrong foot was that your initial post, and more specifically this sentence "I've been looking at tactical folding knives from various manufacturers recently and I'm wondering why Spyderco hasn't made any inroads into this area!" gave folks the impression that you believed Spyderco does not now and had never produced a tactical folder. Making such a statement on this forum is mildly akin to walking into a "home team" themed sports bar, and insulting the home team. You seem to already realize that, you just have to accept that here, as in the real world, not everyone stops throwing punches the moment you say "I'm sorry".

As for the knife, look on the bright side. Only a year or so ago Spyderco had exactly zero flipper folders in the lineup. Now there are two, and soon there will be three. No telling what the next couple years will bring. One of them may even be close enough to your ideal to either satisfy you or provide a viable platform for customization to achieve that level of satisfaction.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9419
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Postby Donut » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:21 am

eric m. wrote:My request was stated from the start of the thread, along with all through the thread. I mentioned the other knife companies as well! Many people express their desires for a particular knife design and the qualities they would like to see in them. I am not the first! Will never hear the term "tactical" from me on this forum again! Heavy-use, and Tank built are what I want! I may not NEED it, but who bases/limits their knives here on Needs! Thanks for your input, but not playing anymore. :)
I must have missed where you mentioned what you considered "heavy duty use".
eric m. wrote:I've seen posts of numerous people wishing Spyderco would make a certain knife this way, grind the blade that way, and even submit/post drawings of their knife designs with not the slightest bit of the criticism being given by anyone!
Yeah, it's been mentioned thousands of times and it hasn't been done. I would put money on the fact that they know, but choose not to.

Here's a good question for you. Let's say you started manufacturing bicycle tires and you make round tires because they work better. Tomorrow there is a crowd of people who want square tires because they look cool, but don't work as well. Do you start to manufacture some square tires or do you keep making the better performing round ones?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
Blerv
Member
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 am

Postby Blerv » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:34 am

Definitions are key. Using a couple buzz words to describe a sophisticated product is the slow painful way to design something.

Goal (people or prying), thickness, length, tip/grind style, lock style, construction materials, target weight??
:spyder: Blake :spyder:

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2856
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby elena86 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:45 am

With P'kal in my pocket I feel tactical.With Civilian I feel very, very tactical.

User avatar
gbelleh
Member
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Kansas

Postby gbelleh » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:52 am

What should I carry on days when I want to be a bit more strategic than tactical? What if my day doesn't involve any cunning or stealth of any kind?

BTW, Eric, I don't see anyone attacking you personally. Sure we argue here sometimes, but this is a actually a very civil place.
:D :spyder:

User avatar
Syncharmony
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Connecticut

Postby Syncharmony » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:44 am

eric m. wrote: That was not my intention at all, and have stated that already. But it seems that nothing short of crucifixion will do for some of you!
Ha, man, crucifixion is a little extreme don't you think? I haven't seen anyone attack YOU in anyway. Just good natured debate of the topic of conversation you brought forth. This is probably the most civil forum I have ever even been a part of. Usually on the internet you have people who are willing to tell you exactly what they think about your entire family and heritage because you disagree with them.

Spirited debate is what makes life interesting though. If everyone agreed with everything I thought, life would be pretty darn boring. Lucky for me, my girlfriend usually thinks I'm wrong!
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester

User avatar
Rwb1500
Member
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Rwb1500 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:28 am

eric m. wrote:When I look at Benchmade, ZT, Emerson, Strider, and Hinderer knives all geared towards heavy duty Military/Law enforcement "Tactical" folders, I say to myself, Spyderco can start their own line to target this Specific segment of the marketplace! Spyderco quality and ingenuity is certainly able to compete with the best of them, and able to exceed many! I realize many of Spyderco's knives are perfectly suitable for this role, but as stated at the start of the thread, a SPYDERTAC LINE of knives geared towards this segment of the market would, I believe, be a winner! Just putting my thoughts out there for you all! Didn't expect all this attitude! :)

I think you're getting the attitude because it seems like you're blind to the Spyderco catalogue. They are already making these knives. Manix 2 XL, the Szabo, the Civilian?! You have to be completely ignorant to the knives being produced to think this.

Have you seen the OPFocus stuff? Someone mentioned it above and you seemed to have passed it over. It's exactly what you're describing, knives specifically built for LEO/military, and plenty good enough for normal folk too.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)

User avatar
NoFair
Member
Posts: 2040
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: Norway

Postby NoFair » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 am

both the LionSpy and Tough are seriously overbuilt knives with frame locks. That they look good doesn't make them any less tough..

It still bring my Military if I went back to active duty (Infantry). There are better things to pry with than folders for us soldiers ;)

User avatar
Rwb1500
Member
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Rwb1500 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:31 am

dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)

eric m.
Member
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Postby eric m. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:49 pm

The Deacon wrote:Eric, I'm certain nobody here would have taken issue with your desire for a Spyderco with the specific features you outlined. As you noted, others do this almost every day. I doubt anyone would have taken major exception with you describing such a knife as "tactical", as a "tactical folder", or as a "hard use folder" even though some of those terms have been overused and misused to the point of being perceived as nothing more than advertising slogans by some people.

I'm fairly certain that what got things off on the wrong foot was that your initial post, and more specifically this sentence "I've been looking at tactical folding knives from various manufacturers recently and I'm wondering why Spyderco hasn't made any inroads into this area!" gave folks the impression that you believed Spyderco does not now and had never produced a tactical folder. Making such a statement on this forum is mildly akin to walking into a "home team" themed sports bar, and insulting the home team. You seem to already realize that, you just have to accept that here, as in the real world, not everyone stops throwing punches the moment you say "I'm sorry".

As for the knife, look on the bright side. Only a year or so ago Spyderco had exactly zero flipper folders in the lineup. Now there are two, and soon there will be three. No telling what the next couple years will bring. One of them may even be close enough to your ideal to either satisfy you or provide a viable platform for customization to achieve that level of satisfaction.
Yeah, I got that! Again, forgive my ignorance! You all have definitely changed by mindset on the definition of what the word means! Obviously the "marketing definition" and my definition are definitely different! Coming from the gun community where the word is used to apply to law enforcement/military use and going int the knife community with the same mentality is definitely revealing! Again, didn't mean to do that! And as far as the piling on that is going on, it's so easy to do that on the computer. I could care less! I've apologized for my ignorance, misuse of the term, and any offense I may have caused to anyone! I can't force anyone to forgive anything. If a person chooses to not forgive and hold grudges that is on them. Thanks for your insight, consideration, and practicality, which I value. :) :spyder:

eric m.
Member
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Postby eric m. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:55 pm

The Deacon wrote:Eric, I'm certain nobody here would have taken issue with your desire for a Spyderco with the specific features you outlined. As you noted, others do this almost every day. I doubt anyone would have taken major exception with you describing such a knife as "tactical", as a "tactical folder", or as a "hard use folder" even though some of those terms have been overused and misused to the point of being perceived as nothing more than advertising slogans by some people.

I'm fairly certain that what got things off on the wrong foot was that your initial post, and more specifically this sentence "I've been looking at tactical folding knives from various manufacturers recently and I'm wondering why Spyderco hasn't made any inroads into this area!" gave folks the impression that you believed Spyderco does not now and had never produced a tactical folder. Making such a statement on this forum is mildly akin to walking into a "home team" themed sports bar, and insulting the home team. You seem to already realize that, you just have to accept that here, as in the real world, not everyone stops throwing punches the moment you say "I'm sorry".

As for the knife, look on the bright side. Only a year or so ago Spyderco had exactly zero flipper folders in the lineup. Now there are two, and soon there will be three. No telling what the next couple years will bring. One of them may even be close enough to your ideal to either satisfy you or provide a viable platform for customization to achieve that level of satisfaction.
Yeah, I got that! Again, forgive my ignorance! You all have definitely changed by mindset on the definition of what the word means! Obviously the "marketing definition" and my definition are definitely different! Coming from the gun community where the word is used to apply to law enforcement/military use and going int the knife community with the same mentality is definitely revealing! Again, didn't mean to do that! And as far as the piling on that is going on, it's so easy to do that on the computer. I could care less! I've apologized for my ignorance, misuse of the term, and any offense I may have caused to anyone! I can't force anyone to forgive anything. If a person chooses to not forgive and hold grudges that is on them. Thanks for your insight, consideration, and practicality, which I value. :) :spyder:

eric m.
Member
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Postby eric m. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks for the link! Just never clicked on that catalog before. Ordered one! :)

User avatar
Officer Gigglez
Member
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Postby Officer Gigglez » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Not trying to crucify you, or even belittle you. Just saying that Spyderco already makes the knives you're asking for, they just don't use all the marketing crap or dress them up to look fancy.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience

User avatar
chuck_roxas45
Member
Posts: 8677
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Location: Small City, Philippines
Contact:

Postby chuck_roxas45 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:27 pm

eric m. wrote:I've seen posts of numerous people wishing Spyderco would make a certain knife this way, grind the blade that way, and even submit/post drawings of their knife designs with not the slightest bit of the criticism being given by anyone! I make a request for a knife designed along the lines of my favorite blade-shaped Spyderco and immediately the whole context of the original posting is changed into a philosophical discussion because of my use of one word! Now, I am relatively new to this forum, and therefore do not know the previous battles that may have gone on here, but I still am entitled to my own likes and dislikes, without anyone attacking me over personal preferences! As I stated before, I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone over implying that Spyderco does not make t_______l knives. That was not my intention at all, and have stated that already. But it seems that nothing short of crucifixion will do for some of you!
Here it is, people request knives specific to their desires all the time and that's well and good. IMHO, the problem people had with your OP was that your purported reason was a beefed up stretch "for tactical purposes". Now after that people immediately responded with recomendations and suggestions of other spydercos that would be suitable for "tactical" uses. Now your subsequent responses then made it obvious that you were not just concerned with a knife for "tactical" uses but that you wanted a specific appearance. That's where the sarcasm started coming thick and fast. :)

eric m.
Member
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Postby eric m. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:44 pm

eric m. wrote:was just looking for a "heavy-use" stretch line of knives with ti framelock, thicker blade stock, different blade profile at the tip(thicker-drop point). The stretch is my favorite knife in all it's variations, that spyderco makes! I like the southard, but it doesn't fit my hand nearly as well as the stretch, and i like the hump at the rear. I like the blade thickness of the techno to increase the lateral strength of the blade, yes! :)
again! Thank you all for your recommendations, but they do not match what has been stated, and i already have most of what you all recommended! The point is moot from now on! :d

User avatar
BOHAWG
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Texas

Re:

Postby BOHAWG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:07 pm

Bill1170 wrote:Tell me with a straight face the Szabo isn't a tactical knife.
Exactly! Please enlighten us...

User avatar
jabba359
Member
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby jabba359 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:13 pm

BOHAWG wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:Tell me with a straight face the Szabo isn't a tactical knife.
Exactly! Please enlighten us...
The OP hasn't posted since April of last year, so he probably won't be enlightening you anytime soon. ;)
-Kyle

:spyder:
Latest arrivals: DLC M4 Shaman, Opus, Q Ball

http://www.spydiewiki.com


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], The Meat man, VashHash and 44 guests