FFG and Spyderco Stretch and FFG in General

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

FFG and Spyderco Stretch and FFG in General

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was looking at some of the FFG knives, such as the Enduras in FFG, and the STRETCH. The Stretch looks very cool.

questions:

1 To Stretch owners: How do you like the Stretch and what are your reviews of it?

2 Regarding FFG: There are some who seem to think the Full Flat Grind has no "detail and depth" but it looks functional and cosmetically nice to me. What are your thoughts?

I like how the Stretch has a profile reminescent of the original Spyderco worker and hunter.

Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Hey SpyderEdge, I consider the Stretch to be my most utilitarian and purposeful knife even though I don't carry it so often.

The only reason it gets left behind is that it doesn't excite or entertain me. The grip is just about perfect for me with medium sized hands. Pretty much all my Spydercos feel good in hand but if I actually had to use one for a long period of time the Stretch would win hands down. I insist you get one in hand to try it. :)

On a related note, I recently acquired a highly praised benchmade knife, the Doug Ritter Griptilian, which is sold as a utilitarian EDC/ outdoor folder. I can't say I'm unhappy with the Griptilian but it doesn't help when I compare it side by side to a Stretch because IMO the Stretch is superior in every way and a good bit cheaper.

About flat grinds, I have limited experience and understanding but they seem less likely to bind and wedge when making deep cuts. I usually seek them out above others.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Can't go wrong with the Stretch! My favorite blade shape by Spyderco! The handle fits my hand like a glove! Great slicer also! :)
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Question to others:

Was there ever an update about possibly changing the blade shape/ offering two options? I remember the choil might get modified and I can't recall if the spine or tip was possible getting a makeover. It's not really a concern to me but I might end up buying another.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

My ZDP Stretch is hands down my best slicer/cutter that I own, and has wonderful ergonomics
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Profile and depth? Do you value looks or slicing ability the most?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I was looking at some of the FFG knives, such as the Enduras in FFG, and the STRETCH. The Stretch looks very cool.

questions:

1 To Stretch owners: How do you like the Stretch and what are your reviews of it?

2 Regarding FFG: There are some who seem to think the Full Flat Grind has no "detail and depth" but it looks functional and cosmetically nice to me. What are your thoughts?

I like how the Stretch has a profile reminescent of the original Spyderco worker and hunter.
1. Love it, and I own, or have owned, at least one example of pretty much every midlock model Spyderco has ever produced so I have plenty to compare it with. I ordered the original SS/Kraton VG-10 Stretch the day it hit the shelves and have been carrying one version or another of it nearly every day since that first one arrived. Have probably posted my impressions of it at least 100 times over the years. Namely, that it fits my hand perfectly and that the Spyderhole is perfectly positioned to allow my thumb to travel in a smooth arc when opening it. It also has what I consider to be an excellent blade to handle ratio, rides nicely in the bottom of my back pocket and, though not the best one Spyderco makes, it's an extremely good slicer.

2. I prefer the simplicity of FFG and, while it may not always "cut better" than other grinds, there do not seem to be any tasks I perform regularly where it's a disadvantage.

FWIW, I'm pretty cetain Sal has mentioned that the Stretch is a larger, more evolved, version of the Hunter.

If I may ask a question in return, what's with the large type?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If I may ask a question in return, what's with the large type?[/QUOTE]

Deacon and others thank you for the answers. I was considering saving up to get a Stretch.

Regarding the larger type, its easier for me to read it in slightly larger font size. I hope it doesn't bother anyone here? I guess I can use the smaller type if the larger is an inconvenience.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Regarding the larger type, its easier for me to read it in slightly larger font size. I hope it doesn't bother anyone here? I guess I can use the smaller type if the larger is an inconvenience.
What browser are you using? If you use Firefox, there is an option in the settings menu where you can choose what size you want all fonts to be, so you can personalize your own view to a larger font so you can read it, without bugging anyone else on the other end of the internet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

For my 3 to 4 inch PE blade the Stretch is my go to knife. Fits my hand perfectly, I can't say the same for the delica. It can do any task I need it to perform. I have the VG-10 black handle FRN. It is FFG and might not have that depth and detail look, but I don't buy or use for looks. It would be nice if there was a choice in handle, like the endura or delica but I don't see that happening. As previously mention they are other modals that are more of a slicer, think kitchen use, or very fine detail cutting like stencils. As long as that is not your need the Stretch does not disappoint.
Blue Possum
Noah

Post by Noah »

I love FFGs. At this point I really only buy knives with FFG blades, they just cut better and sharpen easier. No hot spots or anything to get in the way when cutting, and I think they look nice as well, clean and functional.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Would love a Stretch built for heavy use!(i.e.Ti frame lock, thicker blade stock, a flipper, and a 3.75-4" blade) ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love grinds lines but they do add a degree is character that some (NKP's) shy from. If the Stretch was ground like a Massad Ayoob part of me would be thrilled, the pragmatic side not as much.

It's a very evolved handle and an interesting blade. A few years ago one of the most expensive Spydies in CF/ZDP-189 configuration and still didn't stop people from buying it :) .
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

My feelings regarding the saber and full flat grind is I consider the FFG a better choice. I consider the FFG the "futuristic" version and the saber grind the old way. Like a B&W tv and then a color tv. Maybe there wasn't an easy way t grind FFG blades in the past because of machinery limitations and while the goal of an FFG blade was there they couldn't economically manufacture them. I have absolutely no way of knowing this machinery theory I have. I just feel there must have been some reason FFG is newer. Actually though I'm assuming FFG is newer. I've never seen a knife advertised as a saber grind and getting the feeling there were suggestions it was better than FFG. I have always, since I've been reading adds about knives, gotten the feeling FFG is obviously better. And, IMO FFG is better. A knife is a cutting tool and shouldn't need a whole lot of strength for side pressure or prying. It does happen though. But when it comes to cutting, the thinner the blade and lower the angle the better the knife or tool will cut. The use of the tool does require a certain amount of thickness though. I like FFG with a low back bevel angle. That's just my needs though. For me, I'll probably never buy another saber grind knife. FFG or hollow in this house. :) Of course now that I've said that I'll see a knife I want with a saber grind. Even though I prefer FFG, that doesn't mean saber is BAD. Just not the best choice for me.

Jack
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I am really pleased with my FFG Spydies. I think that the simple, flowing, utilitarian looks are beautiful. specially on the Endura, and I have owned a Stretch, the ffg looks just right. Same for the D'fly. As far as use, the Endura and D'fly have caused me to be MUCH more aware of thicker grinds/edges. I don't see how I can carry a knife that requires more effort to cut with and more time to sharpen, which is why I'm concentrating fully on Spyderco now. Especially since I only cut, no twisting/prying/chopping for my folders :)

-Ryan
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

How do I like my Stretch? My Stretch is pretty much my favorite knife, competing heavily with my Native which I think was designed for my hand!
I love how useful the handle shape is and that it has a very useful choil (though I know there are many that would like a deeper choil).
I think the blade shape of the Stretch is pretty much the most useful of any that I have seen for pretty much any type of cutting. (That's cutting not prying as this isn't a pry bar)
I personally like the Stretch better than the Delica as the length of handle is very close and you get a larger blade. I prefer the Stretch to the Endura as the Endura lacks the awesome belly that the Stretch enjoys. But.... to each there own! They are all great knives and I really enjoy using all of them!
If I had to pick just one knife, it would definitely be my Stretch.