Caly 3.5.....what's so great about it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

The Caly's(3.5) got all the features I want in a folding knife and nothing I don't. I could go on and on about the caly, it's my favorite knife and I have it higher on my list than the revered Sebenza.
Revival

Post by Revival »

this_is_nascar wrote:Which Sage do you have? Why do you prefer the Caly 3.5 over your Sage?
RanCoWeAla wrote:I have the Sage 1 and Sage 2 and while I like the Sage I have always thought it to be a little bit short and stubby or wide. The Caly 3.5 is what you would have if you grasped a Sage firmly and stretched it enough to do away with the short stubby effect giving it a perfect streamline profile and at the same time leaving a perfect hand print in the handle for perfect ergonomics.
I also have two Sage 1's and two Sage 2's. RanCoWeAla summed it up perfectly. The Caly 3.5 is not as smooth as my Sages though. If the 3.5 had the whole lockback system + washers like the Native 5 it would be absolute perfection.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I have the Sage 1 and Sage 2 and while I like the Sage I have always thought it to be a little bit short and stubby or wide. The Caly 3.5 is what you would have if you grasped a Sage firmly and stretched it enough to do away with the short stubby effect giving it a perfect streamline profile and at the same time leaving a perfect hand print in the handle for perfect ergonomics.
Thanks.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

For me the Caly 3.5 is just a tiny bit too long to be an EDC knife, have to really try it though as the CF one I have needs to see the wold outside the box.

Most of the cutting I do is opening cardboard boxes and some precise (tip)cutting. For those tasks the UKPK seems to have the perfect blade length and the handle is like made for my hands.

For corrosion risk and high price I hesitate to get the Caly 3 CF, a VG10 with G10 handle version would help ;) (especially if it were orange to fit my UKPK!!!)
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

jmh58 wrote:Caly3 VG-10 Dark Polished Green G-10.. Sounds like a winner here!!! John
definitely
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

bh49 wrote:+1 The father wounded mountain lion

Should be more CF. This variant is in production for much longer than VG10/G10 was.
Is this a hint that we need the sprint of VG10/G10 Caly3? Let's say in dark green color :)
<drool> I need a Caly3, and I need it in green. That is all.
Manbug G-10, Salt I PE, Pacific Salt SE, Caly 3.5, Green Forum Native 5, Green ParaMilitary 2, Centofante 3
Donut

Post by Donut »

Commendatore wrote: For corrosion risk and high price I hesitate to get the Caly 3 CF, a VG10 with G10 handle version would help ;) (especially if it were orange to fit my UKPK!!!)
I'm with you on the Orange Caly 3. *drool*

And I'm also with the Polished Green Caly 3.5.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

this_is_nascar wrote:Thanks.
There's obviously the lock question, too. The Caly series is all lockbacks. The Sage series features three additional lock styles now (Sage 1-Sage 4). :)
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

A Caly 3 question............ can one of these be had with any type of non-laminated steel?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There was a regular production Caly3 with black peel ply G10 and a VG10 blade. It's a very good looking knife. I haven't looked, but I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty easily and economically available on the pre-owned market.
Donut

Post by Donut »

JNewell wrote:There was a regular production Caly3 with black peel ply G10 and a VG10 blade. It's a very good looking knife. I haven't looked, but I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty easily and economically available on the pre-owned market.
I don't see them come up very often, especially compared to the Carbon Fiber version of the 3. That's why I commented about the total number sold.

Now... If you were determined to get one, I'm not sure just how difficult it would be to get one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

JNewell wrote:There was a regular production Caly3 with black peel ply G10 and a VG10 blade. It's a very good looking knife. I haven't looked, but I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty easily and economically available on the pre-owned market.
Beware though, theres a fake version of that knife and is readily available.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Donut wrote:I don't see them come up very often, especially compared to the Carbon Fiber version of the 3. That's why I commented about the total number sold.

Now... If you were determined to get one, I'm not sure just how difficult it would be to get one.

Thanks. I'll have to start posting WTB threads on some boards. I think I'm officially in the market for a Caly-3 with a non-ZDP steel.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

The Caly 3 in super blue is also not laminated, those are definitely still floating around. Not sure if you were aware of that or just had your heart set on vg-10.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FCM415 wrote:Beware though, theres a fake version of that knife and is readily available.
Are you sure? I am aware of black G10 UKPK and never heard about Caly3
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

this_is_nascar wrote:Thanks. I'll have to start posting WTB threads on some boards. I think I'm officially in the market for a Caly-3 with a non-ZDP steel.
keep your eye on e-bay as well. IIRC one was sold recently just a little over $100
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Nate

Post by Nate »

bh49 wrote:Are you sure. I am aware of black G10 UKPK and never heard about Caly3
Sadly, this is true. I have also seen the fake Caly's.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Apophis wrote:Sadly, this is true. I have also seen the fake Caly's.
Sadly. How they are different from real Caly3?

Nate

Post by Nate »

Sorry, I haven'thandled one. The listings can be found on the ali site though. If they're churning out southards, paras, and ti militaries, I imagine the calys are fairly convincing as well :(
Holland

Post by Holland »

Orange caly3 would definitely be on the buy list for me
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE