Spyderco Knives and the "Economic Collapse"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

"The Simpsons had a great episode about preppers, which argued that we shouldn't be obsessed about protecting ourselves from one another but rather helping one another out and maintaining a community. I'd be interested to hear how you guys feel about this notion."

I find that the more prepared you are then you can help others more readily. A few months ago we had a major earthquake here where I live. I have always tried to be prepared and we had plenty of food and water. We checked on the neighbors and then our family to see if everyone was okay and if they needed anything. We had similar experiences back in the States when we had major storms/flooding. It doesn't take much to start. Ramen noodles are cheap and easy to make. In the States the government reminds all of us that in a major calamity, we are on our own for the first 72 hours or so. I would make it a week if it is major and depending on where you live. A lot of people expect services just hours after. Some just will not understand sadly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally I haven't thrown a bottle cap away since '06, you know just in case.

People have been yelling about the end as long as time as existed. If something of that nature were to really happen, gold and silver will be your least of worries, it'll be food/water/shelter/guns/ammo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I was talking with a friend who believes strongly that there will be a coming economic collapse in America and the Western world, in the next 1-10 years, and I told him about my love for Spyderco knives. He says people should purchase tangible material goods that have trade and barter value, such as toilet paper and knives, and he is an advocate of gold and silver.
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Does he, perchance, sell gold and silver? Do you?
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:my question for all of you:

1 Is this idea of a coming economic collapse a real likelihood, or is this more "doomster fear" like critics of it say?
I'm 68 years old and can't remember a time when someone wasn't predicting that global thermonuclear war, economic collapse, or a combination of them, was right around the corner. Hasn't happened yet, so my money would be on those with "prepper" supplies to sell feeding the paranoid fears of the preppers for their own profit.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:2 If it did happen like he said, would it be that easy or doable, to set up on the street or with your neighbors, friends, and other people, and trade Spydies and toilet paper for food or vice versa? (he advocates having alot of dried foods on hand, too, as well as water and even alcohol and cigarettes which he said are good trade items in such times)?

Or, would government just come in and seize/confiscate it, and, would there be a danger of roving gangs not wanting to trade with you, but rather, just steal from you at gun/weapon point?
"If" the economy were to truly collapse, then the rule of law would collapse very quickly thereafter. There would be no neat and tidy barter economy. Would you really want to sell a knife to someone who was larger, younger, and/or stronger than you? How often do you think that scenario would play out well for you?

Beyond that, despite your trying to weave Spyderco products into this, I'm pretty sure it's abut as OT as things get, and **** hard to keep apolitical.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

If I wanted a Spyderco to protect me from real risks, I'd look for a couple of blades. The first would be a seatbelt cutter and the second would be a scalpel. ;) Your chances of encountering death or serious physical danger from drunk/distracted drivers or cancer are far, far, far higher than the risk of global economic and social collapse.

It's a lot more fun to kick around topics like economic and social collapse, however. :rolleyes:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Zombie apocalypse anyone?
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

People are capable of many things when they are scared and hungry. It may only be on a local scale, perhaps on a larger scale, but it may not take as much as some think to tip the scales. Hopefully this will never happen.

Ask the folks in Argentina what happened with their economic collapse in 2001. A lot to be learned there from their experience. Life continues despite lawlessness and corruption, so it becomes a question of how to survive those conditions. See Fernando Aguirre's book, Surviving the Economic Collapse. The things that will be useful in situations like that may surprise you.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Make no mistake, TEOTWAWKI inevitably involves the active killing of people (...not zombies). How is this activity not a political subject and, therefore, outside the bounds of this forum?

That said, if TEOTWAWKI is so horrific a prospect, why is it that gearheads (especially) spend so much thought and effort prepping for it, rather than fighting tooth and nail to avoid it? The answer is assuredly a political subject and, therefore, outside the bounds of this forum...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I would collect ammo if the world was really going to head into some post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I would also buy any of the tools needed to handcraft knives, swords, arrows, etc and learn those skills. That expertise would be far more valuable than just having a collection of stuff to sell.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
arty

Post by arty »

This is clearly political, and I won't provide my interpretation.
springnr

Post by springnr »

Fear sells
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

arty wrote:This is clearly political, and I won't provide my interpretation.
By posting in it, you effectively bumped it back up to the top, supporting its development. "..if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice".
wrdwrght wrote:Make no mistake, TEOTWAWKI inevitably involves the active killing of people (...not zombies). How is this activity not a political subject and, therefore, outside the bounds of this forum?

That said, if TEOTWAWKI is so horrific a prospect, why is it that gearheads (especially) spend so much thought and effort prepping for it, rather than fighting tooth and nail to avoid it? The answer is assuredly a political subject and, therefore, outside the bounds of this forum...
I'm missing the part about where politics come into play when discussing survival? I haven't seen anyone delve into why the economy may crash, such as blaming one political party or the other, the president, etc. From what I've read, this thread has nothing more political than your average self defense thread, which happens quite often around here and is apparently totally acceptable.
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Well, how's this for on-topic...if the economy collapses, Spyderco and all of the other sophisticated businesses, both service and manufacturing, will fail completely. So, you'll want to know how to turn files and leaf springs into edged tools. :) BTW, I wonder how many here still drive cars with leaf springs??? :eek:
arty

Post by arty »

Once you start talking about inflation, there is a political message. I am more concerned about deflation, as another poster mentioned.
Deflation is real right now.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:I'm missing the part about where politics come into play when discussing survival
Yes, I believe you are.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:Well, how's this for on-topic...if the economy collapses, Spyderco and all of the other sophisticated businesses, both service and manufacturing, will fail completely. So, you'll want to know how to turn files and leaf springs into edged tools. :) BTW, I wonder how many here still drive cars with leaf springs??? :eek:
Lots of trucks still use them. My '98 Cherokee and I believe most Cherokees that followed used them in the back.
~David
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:Lots of trucks still use them. My '98 Cherokee and I believe most Cherokees that followed used them in the back.
Funny coincidence, I just found a leaf spring last night while biking back from class. Stopped off and picked it up because, hey, free leaf spring. I also found just half a leaf spring a few years back (no idea what happened to the other half or the car lol).

Also, a lot of trailers have them too I believe. We have one sitting in our side yard with 4 springs per side, so thats 8 total.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

If I may paraphrase Deacon's closing words in post # 22?

Life is short...Weave Spyderco products into the Fabric of Life... :)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I sat here for a few minutes wondering if TEOTWAWKI was some sort of native american word for economic collapse or maybe Samoan or Inuit or something. Then I googled it and now I feel extra dumb.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Syncharmony wrote:I sat here for a few minutes wondering if TEOTWAWKI was some sort of native american word for economic collapse or maybe Samoan or Inuit or something. Then I googled it and now I feel extra dumb.
I, too, was perplexed when I first saw this strange word. :)

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The average American media consumer is woefully lousy at correctly evaluating the "worth" of the media they consume.

Far too many whacky conspiracy theories are read, watched, and believed without even an attempt to get another view.

I'll concern myself with staying employed.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]