Afraid to Sharpen your Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Afraid to Sharpen your Spydie?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spyderco Knives are made for use, and hard use at that, to stand up to the stresses of using a knife. But is anyone here ever afraid to sharpen their Spydie, for fear that it will somehow damage it or take off its good looks fresh out of the box? I guess one remedy is to have one for looks and the same model duplicated for use?

Holland

Post by Holland »

Absolutely not :D there made to be used and i love a knife with character. Plus i find sharpening enjoyable :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Nah, sharpin her like you love her :D
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

What Holland said! Spyderco knives are designed to be the most ergonomic and high-performance knives in the prodution world. Yes many of them are beautiful, but for me personally, I see the knife's true beauty in how well it handles the task at hand. Sharpening isn't very easy at first, I'm still learning a lot after a year of sharpmaker use, but I think it's just another facet of this horribly addictive hobby :D

-Ryan
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

It's not even your knife until you put your own edge on it. Being afraid of sharpening your knife is like being afraid of putting gas in your car!
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am never affraid to sharpen my Spydies. From time to time I am hesitant to break the seal and actually put a new Spyderco to hard use, but once it is being used, it must be maintained. I share Holland's view on sharpening..... enjoyable and relaxing.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Afraid? No. Being too lazy is a different story though.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I can say that as a newbie to quality knives, I was a bit hesitant to sharpen them at first. Once I figured out the method that works best for me, no more stress. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Holland

Post by Holland »

Syncharmony wrote:It's not even your knife until you put your own edge on it. Being afraid of sharpening your knife is like being afraid of putting gas in your car!
Nice :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have actually screwed up the bevel on more than one sprint, so that initial reprofiling always makes me nervous no matter how many times I do it. Aside from that though, I wouldn't say I'm afraid, since sharpening/profiling is usually done before I ever make a single cut with a new knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:I have actually screwed up the bevel on more than one sprint, so that initial reprofiling always makes me nervous no matter how many times I do it. Aside from that though, I wouldn't say I'm afraid, since sharpening/profiling is usually done before I ever make a single cut with a new knife.
when i first got my WE i reprofiled my 20cp red para and the bevel was probably 10 degrees on one side and 20 on the other haha. have since bought an angle cube :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'm new to sharpening, but do have a Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, by Spyderco. I think I'll get my feet wet by trying it on my low-end knives first, until I get the hang of it.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

A good youtuber to get sharpening info from is jdavis882. Wide range of skills, he's helpful
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Holland

Post by Holland »

RealKnifeUser wrote:A good youtuber to get sharpening info from is jdavis882. Wide range of skills, he's helpful
Love all his videos
-Spencer

Rotation:
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

RealKnifeUser wrote:A good youtuber to get sharpening info from is jdavis882. Wide range of skills, he's helpful
He's got an unconventional way of using the sharpmaker, which I have used and it seems to work. +1 to his vids.
Holland

Post by Holland »

jalcon wrote:He's got an unconventional way of using the sharpmaker, which I have used and it seems to work. +1 to his vids.
I havent watch that video, ill have to check it out
-Spencer

Rotation:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not me. Granted, I have some Spydercos that I do not use, but any that I use get sharpened by me when they need sharpening. Heck, I've sharpened this Kiwi once or twice since I had it engraved.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Ouch Paul...that is a pure gem, wonderful engraving!!!

Some 25 years ago I bought my first knife, a Smith and Wesson backlock ´sprint´ made of junksteel. Short after that I bought the sharpmaker set, in that oldschool cordura pouch.

That´s when sharpening-school started and school isn't out yet! (Shortly after I bought the first knife with that ugly hole in the blade...anyone remember the brand of those knives? ;) )
Still learning and my recent project is the WE! That is a heck of an invention. Sharpening on a higher level.

So afraid; nope, never been, I love it when I may resharpen any unknown steel, sprint-knife or not!

:D
Tom
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

**** Paul who does your engraving? Every one I see looks better than the last. I always wanted to get something like that done on a DLC blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Dern, that Kiwi is a thing of beauty and yes, I would hesitate to sharpen it.

Funny this thread would come up, had the day off today and re-profiled my Caly 3.5 zdp did take some time even with the EP. Also sharpened a Sage 1, Para 2 and numerous kitchen knives. Spent nearly 3 hours sharpening and my knives are loving it. The angle cube and loupe really do improve accuracy. I always used to freehand on a stones and still do with some knives, just try to keep my spydies lookin good....and sharp Don't seem to use the stones above 1k much, once in a while for a polished edge. :spyder: